Honored Contributor

It won't be long before china owns us. 

Valued Contributor

I ordered an item from American Giant and it was poor quality and ill fitting.  Didn't return it, just never ordered anything from them again.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Made in the USA?

[ Edited ]

@Effie54 wrote:

Most of the products that the Q sells are imported - mostly from China. What is made in the USA now?? Hardly anything.

Shoekitty said   You would be surprised how many things are made here. I do it.  Yu have to look, it's not always easy.  But I have found once I find one place that sells items from USA, there is a link to other goods.

i managed to do a bathroom entirely from USA.  I live in California, and I was surprised howmuch  is made here!  I found toilets, tiles, grout, sinks fixtures, mirror,, lighting     All high quality and actually reasonable. I have to admit I didn't find much at home Depot. But once I found a Brad, I looked it up.  I found actually browsing on online stores had more selection.  Once I found something, I asked Our local Home Depot Or Lowe's about it...the got it.    The only thing you cannot find is screws and most nails.  For some reason those factories have gone.  To me it became a fun game, and search I found interesting  the mor eI learned te more I find.  Even Toto toilets which are Japanese, have a factory in North Carolina I think.  What I have found is a brand will have certain styles that are strictly made here  

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

Most of the products that the Q sells are imported - mostly from China. What is made in the USA now?? Hardly anything.

Very few things.  It's practical for QVC, as they have factories in China. Some items have moved away from China. They are pricing themselves out.  China has a growing middle class.  If they want to continue to make things cheaply, they need to move on very poor 3rd world countries. So a lot of stuff you see in Old Navy, etc  are made in Bangladesh, Vietnam etc.  Some poor places they can't go, because of the danger.  The need to find a stable country.

Esteemed Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
Here’s a for instance. American Giant makes a very high quality hoodie from domestically sourced raw materials. Their base pay in North Carolina is $15 plus incentives plus benefits so they’re not running a sweat shop. The hoodie is just north of $100. Walmart sells hoodies for $15.

I’m all about paying more for a high quality product. But I see a ton of fussying any time Isaac Mizrahi offers a $50 hoodie or Lori Goldstein offers an $80 hoodie. How much fussying will ensue with a $108 hoodie?

@RollTide2008  I don't own those brands. Do you know where they are made?

There will always be some with skewed priorities who prefer a "big name" over a Made in America label. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:
Here’s a for instance. American Giant makes a very high quality hoodie from domestically sourced raw materials. Their base pay in North Carolina is $15 plus incentives plus benefits so they’re not running a sweat shop. The hoodie is just north of $100. Walmart sells hoodies for $15.

I’m all about paying more for a high quality product. But I see a ton of fussying any time Isaac Mizrahi offers a $50 hoodie or Lori Goldstein offers an $80 hoodie. How much fussying will ensue with a $108 hoodie?

@RollTide2008  I don't own those brands. Do you know where they are made?

There will always be some with skewed priorities who prefer a "big name" over a Made in America label. 

@esmerelda I went to the American Giant website after seeing this post by @RollTide2008, and I found a hoodie that's made in North Carolina and a couple of pairs of pants that are made in California.  I haven't ordered because I sent the link to my son and waiting to hear back from him to see if he'd like to try anything.  They look good based on the pictures and reviews on the website.  Would love to hear feedback from anybody here who may have ordered.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To see more made in the US merchandise would require a serious commitment on the part of many large and powerful entities. Even were doing so deemed desirable by them all, it would take a while before anyone would see those products. If QVC or any other retail entity were to seek more made in the US merchandise to offer, one might guess they wouldn't find much and a good bit of what they would find most likely would't be marketed successfully for a variety of reasons, including both the cost to produce and the cost to purchase...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I want to see more made in USA items as well. 

And I too, wish to see country of origin, not just 'imported' listed. While I'd be happy to buy from Europe and other areas of the world, I'm not interested in buying from China if I don't absolutely have to. When I see QVC list something as 'imported', I'm assuming it is from China, and moving on most of the time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wildcat fan wrote:

I remember the 50 in 50 Tour shows they did several years ago that featured products from each of the 50 states.  I loved tuning in to see what each state had to offer and would like to see them try that again.

Shoekitty said, that was  QVC at it's best.  It was absolutely the  best time.  It was the only time I can remember marking the date, the hour of that show.  I was introduced to several products I use to this day, one was Parker and Bailey furniture cream  ....it had a different name back then  I use it today.  Best ever.  I introduced it to my cleaning company, and they use it as well

I would love to see every item that is available on QVC to have a Made in whatever country it came from listed in Bold type in the description of that item.  I am very tired of receiving things home only to find out that it was made in China,  I spend thousand each year with QVC and it is a must for me.  I understand I'll pay more but it's worth it.  I'm also calling out the designers and "American" companies that are featured on QVC nearly everyday to find a manufacturer in this country to make your goods.  Otherwise, I finished with buying your stuff, no matter how much I may like them