Honored Contributor

Maybe we need to re-examine our spending. Higher costs may result, so maybe make do with buying two tops instead of three. Most of us have way more than we could ever wear or Knick knacks to display. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am old enough to have clear memories of the same complaints being made when I was growing up, and as a young adult, except the focus then was Japan.  Now it is China.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

I remember the 50 in 50 Tour shows they did several years ago that featured products from each of the 50 states.  I loved tuning in to see what each state had to offer and would like to see them try that again.

Honored Contributor

It a combination of big business greed and people wanting cheap items.  Business gets a larger profit by having cheap labor and all the people that shop places like Walmart, etc. get low prices.

Honored Contributor

Re: Made in the USA?

[ Edited ]

The problem is most people would not pay the price for made in USA items.  People complain here if prices go up a dollar.

i always though an hour show strictly with made in USA items, sort of like the 50/50 tour done years ago. What fun that was.however, it was brought to my attention that having an hour of made in USA items would point out that everything at qvc is made overseas.  
even though people complain about a living wage here in US, we still pay more than the 50 cents an hour overseas or piece work.

also, those that complain about the lack of USA items in our country need to look at their own shopping practices.  I haven't shopped Walmart in over 27 years. Ever since they made their vendors open factories overseas if they wanted to continue selling to Walmart.  When Walmart did that, everyone else followed suit to keep up prices.  Once they got used to the high profit margin, and lithe saving on their federal taxes. That was it.  There was no coming back

people need to put their money where their mouth is.  It just doesn't happen.  

i shop 90% USA, but I pay a tad more.  I get the best clothes, shoes household items, and furniture made and delivered by  people right here in the states.  It is a huge sense of pride for me...and it has become a little game

Respected Contributor
Here’s a for instance. American Giant makes a very high quality hoodie from domestically sourced raw materials. Their base pay in North Carolina is $15 plus incentives plus benefits so they’re not running a sweat shop. The hoodie is just north of $100. Walmart sells hoodies for $15.

I’m all about paying more for a high quality product. But I see a ton of fussying any time Isaac Mizrahi offers a $50 hoodie or Lori Goldstein offers an $80 hoodie. How much fussying will ensue with a $108 hoodie?
Honored Contributor

interesting that one of the hosts could only point to the graphic "made in the USA" yesterday and not say it.

if we stop buying the M I C stuff perhaps this will change only way ,

Honored Contributor

The more thing change the more things remain the same. 

This is more anger at China, then anything else.  It will die down and clothes and other goods will continue to come from China and Thailand, and Bangladesh and Turkey and etc.  Bottom line, American want inexpensive goods.  They want it fast.  No use wallowing in nostalgia when clothing was made in the U.S.  That time has passed.  

Trusted Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

interesting that one of the hosts could only point to the graphic "made in the USA" yesterday and not say it.

if we stop buying the M I C stuff perhaps this will change only way ,

@jackthebear  How sad is it that we can't even 'say' the words 'Made In America'?

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

Most of the products that the Q sells are imported - mostly from China. What is made in the USA now?? Hardly anything.