Honored Contributor

And still the Q's clothing prices are very high.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Such an odd thread.  It's like posters have been asleep for 50 years and woke up the fact that the USA is not a manufacturing based economy.  It hasn't been for 40 or 50 years and "Made in China" most certainly does not mean poorly made or inferior.  Where does that foolishness come from?  The fact is that if we anyone abstains from "Made in China" they are probably curled up naked in their empty houses....because everything we need made in China or somewhere outside the US and that's not going to change.  

If or when things crash, we're going to miss those factories that could be retrofitted for other purposes.  Not making stuff isn't something we should be proud of.  We should be asking what propelled companies out the door.  I'd state the obvious, but the post would be removed.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

As long as people want low prices, they are going to get shoddily made, usually imported, goods.

I recently bought mud boots for outdoor chores and was shocked flimsy some are.  Wouldn't last a hot second but they were cheap.

I need to wear sandals around the house with high arches, and very few brands last.  Earth shoes are the most comfy, but they fall apart quickly.  

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

It is a habit of mine to check where made, especially food items!  It is surprising where some items origin ate at grocery stores.  I don't need cooki es made in Mexico or asparagus from china!

on household and clothing items I always check label and question myself whether I really need if made in China.  Just one individual but I hope the habit catches on.

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I see posters complaining on these forums all the time about high prices on merchandise and clothing on QVC. Then complain about it not being made in America. Prices then will be higher. So pick one or the other.

Agreed.

One will never find quality American made items in the Dollar store.

If one want quality American made items, then one will have to pay more for it, and the sad truth is, not everyone can afford those prices, so the cheaper products are what sells.

It depends as many items are around the same price.  Sadly, I've found through my retail experience that most--and I stand by that word--consumers haven't got a clue what quality really means in any category. It is getting very difficult to find quality clothing, furniture and household goods.  Planned obsolescence is the norm, and that's especially true with costly appliances.  

Trusted Contributor

My curiosity about manufacturing led me to find:

-Manufacturing is about 12% of the US economy.

-Manufacturing employs about 9% of the total US population.  

-Manufacturing is such a large part of GDP,  it would be the 9th largest economy in the world. 

-US is #2 for global manufacturing output at 18%.  

-China is #1 at 20% for global manufacturing.
-Manufacturing in China is 27% of their economy. South Korea tops them at 29% but, only 4% of global output.

These stats are for 2015, trying to find more current. 

Trusted Contributor

Another aspect some might want to consider when buying items from China are the working conditions.  (Even when the company is an American company.)

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I see posters complaining on these forums all the time about high prices on merchandise and clothing on QVC. Then complain about it not being made in America. Prices then will be higher. So pick one or the other.

I say bring manufacturing back to the USA and charge what you will.  Let the market decide if they will buy or not.  

You can say that but before anyone can bring manufacturing back in a significant way, you need the infrastructure. And it doesn't exist.  Before Company X can make microwaves here the US (none of them are made her); they need a factory, they need the materials, they need to equip that factory with the machinery,  they need to adjust the utilility and power lines to accommate the machinery,  they need the trucks to transport their microwaves, of course they also need stores that will buy their microwaves....and that's just the tip of the iceberg.  Even if they could get all that, which would take many years, they would have to factor the enormous cost into the price of their microwaves.  So, thar $49 microwave that you can get from Walmart.....would cost $399.  Which one do you think the customer is going to buy?  And I haven't even mentioned salaries, health insurance, taxes, FICA, vacation pay, sick pay and all the other things American workers demand.  Factor that in and that $49 microwave would cost $550.     

Honored Contributor

I will say the stuff is well made ,and the fit is good for me. They have come a long way from how their stuff used to be..and it washes well too

I am sure some of Martha's stuff was made in  Jordan , when she first presented clothes

Esteemed Contributor
  • @cherry :  I agree that Chinese quality has come a long way; I have no problem with buying Chinese.  I, too, remember when "Made in (occupied) Japan" was a guarantee of shoddy quality.  Remember when these countries develop their industries they develop huge blocks of consumers who buy everybody's products.  What our leaders should be considering is that we don't "throw out the baby with the bathwater" .