New Contributor

I feel very strongly about this subject and want to share it with the Community for their response.  I absolutely REFUSE to have anything to do with that so-called sales day.  This is Thanksgiving - a time for family and friends and it meant a lot for early settlers of this country.  This year, Friday couldn't wait till Friday came, so they started the affair on the shopping frenzy on Thursday instead.  And when 6:00 p.m. starting to be too late, other stores counted back by starting at 3:00 p.m.  Right in the middle of what was supposed to be Thanksgiving dinner!  DON'T YOU KNOW YOU ARE BEING TAKEN?  Nobody's in the Black except the vendors!  In accounting terms, you are "in the black" when you are MAKING money - not spending it!  When you buy into their sales, you are hurting yourselves.  Unless you are wealthy and can pay cash for your purchases, you gain nothing.  You are using credit - money in the air because it is't real cash - and you will be paying on it with 24% - 27% interest over the months it takes you to pay it off.  So your sales prices are not real sales for you since you will be making up the difference through your interest payments.  Boy! Are we ever ignorant!

So, please bring back your Thanksgiving - your family traditions - taking a real day of rest.  If all of us would be more conscious of how we are shaping our futures and our economy, there would be no more BLACK anything.  We can control our ethics and the world that we are giving to our children and grandchildren.  They reap what we sow.  And yes, I had a wonderful Thanksgiving with my children and 10 grandchildren.  They are such a delight - because we only get to see each other 2 - 3 times a year because of travel distances.  I hope you ALL had a great and real Thanksgiving.

Respected Contributor

Re: Macys Black Friday Deals

Sounds rather preachy to me.  Live by your rules and let others make their own decisions.  If you feel you will reap the benefits of your choices, then be content with that and let others do the same. 

Trusted Contributor

@makena wrote:

Sounds rather preachy to me.  Live by your rules and let others make their own decisions.  If you feel you will reap the benefits of your choices, then be content with that and let others do the same. 

Preachy ???  Sounds like just an opinion to me.   Happy Thanksgiving everyone !!!

Esteemed Contributor

I would never go to the stores on Thanksgiving. I feel it is the time for family. I feel sorry for all the people that have to work and do not have the time off. Retail sales have fallen and I guess they want everyone to pick up on the big deals. The drawback is that sometimes they don't have very many of the items they advertise. I would not want to fight the crowds to save money. Second, I pay off my credit cards at the end of each month. I do not carry a credit card balance. Therefore, I pay no interest. That has been my policy for a long time. I hope everyone has had a happy Thanksgiving and enjoyed their time with their family and friends. It is four weeks until Christmas. YIKES!!!

Honored Contributor

How about shopping online -- does that count?  All kidding aside, I know what you mean.  The stores started opening up earlier on Thanksgiving.  It is rather disgusting.  These retail stores must really be desperate for sales.  Yet you see people shopping and not carrying any bags.  You have to laugh at that.  I do not believe in going to stores and shopping on Thanksgiving but I have to admit that I did shop online.  We live in a different age now.  When I grew up the computer was not even in the conceptual stage.  :catvery-happy:

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

My quick comment because I need to leave the house in a few minutes to go shopping.  I don't shop in stores on Thanksgiving.  I think we'll all survive if they're closed for a day.  But..... there are people who are alone on the holiday and maybe they'd like to get out and shop a little.  So, my views on that have softened..... just a little bit in the last year or two.

I DID shop online yesterday so I guess we don't have to feel guilty if we shop online on a holiday??

And not all of us who are shopping on Thanksgiving, Black Friday or any day are racking up 24+% interest on credit cards.  Spending money is spending money, regardless of what day it's spent.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

We went to Macy's last night but didn't buy a thing.  Nothing caught my eye and I wasn't impressed with the sales.  All of the shoes and clothes that I sort of liked weren't on sale or were just 15-20% off.  I thought it was funny that my favorite pair of shoes they had in inventory were a pair of Lucky Brand booties that were exactly the style of the pair I was wearing.  I purchased them last winter for about $75 but last night Macy's wanted $125 for them.

When we walked into Belk, a few employees were handing out gift cards.  We got three valued at $25, $25, and $10.  My son got some leather gloves that were originally $75 marked down to $20.  Using one of those gift cards, it was like they were free.  😊

Yesterday I ate so much more than I normally do between breakfast and turkey (we ate around 3:30) that I just wanted to go for a walk and get some fresh air.  My family felt the same.  We were gone for about 2-3 hours and enjoyed seeing the beautiful Christmas decorations at the mall.  It wasn't very crowded, and we have some remaining gift cards to use another time at Belk.

So, my family was together and we didn't lose any money on this decision to go to the mall on Thanksgiving Day.  We actually came out ahead and got some exercise.  We had a few laughs and enjoyed each other's company.  I don't regret going at all.

Honored Contributor

It seemed to me that several of the retailers who had done the Thursday openings in prior years, reverted to closing on Thanksgiving this year.  To me, that's possibly the beginning of a trend.  Hope it continues.

Honored Contributor

Black Friday shopping, either Thanksgiving night or on Friday, is a sport in my family.   We do it all together!    Great fun.

Otherwise we sit around ALL day eating & watching TV??  Not my family.

The stores are so festive, it's great fun for us.

To each their own.

And BTW, I have worked retail and I have worked on a holiday.

Honored Contributor

TJ Maxx was closed for Thanksgiving-hope others follow suit and let the employees have time with their families.