Respected Contributor

Re: Macys Black Friday Deals

I agree with the OP.   Thanksgiving has become the official start of the Christmas season, when one holiday has nothing to do with the other.  

Respected Contributor

IRe: Macys Black Friday Deals

I choose not to shop on Thanksgiving but I would never scold others for doing so.  Stores are open because people want to shop. If shoppers stayed away in droves the stores wouldn't open.

I love using plastic for my purchases.  I accumulate rewards or points without paying interest.  I pay my balance in full each month and I am not wealthy.  I am smart.  I manage my money wisely.

Honored Contributor

@kissychrissy wrote:

I feel very strongly about this subject and want to share it with the Community for their response.  I absolutely REFUSE to have anything to do with that so-called sales day.  This is Thanksgiving - a time for family and friends and it meant a lot for early settlers of this country.  This year, Friday couldn't wait till Friday came, so they started the affair on the shopping frenzy on Thursday instead.  And when 6:00 p.m. starting to be too late, other stores counted back by starting at 3:00 p.m.  Right in the middle of what was supposed to be Thanksgiving dinner!  DON'T YOU KNOW YOU ARE BEING TAKEN?  Nobody's in the Black except the vendors!  In accounting terms, you are "in the black" when you are MAKING money - not spending it!  When you buy into their sales, you are hurting yourselves.  Unless you are wealthy and can pay cash for your purchases, you gain nothing.  You are using credit - money in the air because it is't real cash - and you will be paying on it with 24% - 27% interest over the months it takes you to pay it off.  So your sales prices are not real sales for you since you will be making up the difference through your interest payments.  Boy! Are we ever ignorant!

So, please bring back your Thanksgiving - your family traditions - taking a real day of rest.  If all of us would be more conscious of how we are shaping our futures and our economy, there would be no more BLACK anything.  We can control our ethics and the world that we are giving to our children and grandchildren.  They reap what we sow.  And yes, I had a wonderful Thanksgiving with my children and 10 grandchildren.  They are such a delight - because we only get to see each other 2 - 3 times a year because of travel distances.  I hope you ALL had a great and real Thanksgiving.

Well, what I do on a holiday is simpy NONE of anyone else's business!  We DO NOT all share the same circumstances, lives, situations, or financial status.  So, my answer is MYOB.

Also, NOT EVERYONE has family to share a holiday with, or cares one whit about Thanisgiving as a holiday.  

IT'S America!  Spend the "holiday" any way you want, worry free about what others think.  Good grief! Shop 'til 'ya drop if that floats your boat.

Esteemed Contributor

@kissychrissyI would think others would interpret the reasons why others shop on Thanksgiving is something they are ignorant of.  Some take such offense at others not honoring traditions in the way they would like to seem them done.  That is controlling and almost being a dictator. 

Also, how does anyone know anyone else's financial situation and need.  Some people know the value of a dollar and they stretch it and spend it wisely. 

Others appreciate the sales because the need is there. 

I don't go shopping for my reasons nor do I do the holiday as you would find traditional.  Why should I have to as I'm Native American - we know what your settlers did.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I found that most of the "black friday" deals were online on Tuesday, and that's when I did most of my shopping. 

I did the dinner thing with my kids on Thanksgiving, but it was over and done with by 6pm.  My DD and I decided to go to Best Buy to look at some televisions.  I see no harm in that.  Accomplished both in one day.

Some families are not as bonded as others.  Others no longer have families to be with during the holidays.  Sometimes 3 hours of family time is enough.   If it makes you feel good to be able to buy something for yourself on that day, go ahead and do it. 

Respected Contributor

It's the same rant every year. Guess what? That ship has sailed along with the Mayflower.

OP, do you give gifts for the holidays? Where is it written in any holiday celebration that it involves gift giving? Obviously, it has been latched onto and it  is hypocritical. The meaning of the season, blah, blah, blah.

But if people can save money, what is the harm in that? Maybe they work all the other days and as others have said it extends the family time together while also enjoying the festive decorations. SMH

Honored Contributor

Since the thread name is Macy's Black Friday deals, I'll tell you this. 

I went to Macy's this morning and bought myself two absolutely gorgeous gemstone rings. An absolutely impulse purchase. Saw them, loved them, bought them. Each was in the clearance section, 70% off. And, to be honest, I think that's about what each was worth.  So, I was happy with Macy's deals today. Merry Christmas to me!

Oh....also bought a new blanket for our bed at Macy's this morning. $15 for a king sized blanket. Now, I thought that was a heck of a deal. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?