Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's will close the Seattle downtown store in Feb 2020.

Our Macy's is a hot mess. Not much is organized. It's mainly just racks of clearance items. There is so much to go through that it's not worth the time or effort.

Honored Contributor

I remember reading that Macy's was closing several unproductive stores and downsizing.

The Macy's in my area is filthy, disgusting and run down.  The carpet is so dirty in the dressing rooms that you are afraid to take your shoes off.  It has been that way for years.

I don't see where they are closing here, but they should be. I don't understand why anyone would want to shop there.  Walmart is cleaner and more organized.  What a shame.  Macy's used to be beautiful, especially around the holidays.

Trusted Contributor

The downtown Portland, OR Macy's closed almost two years ago.  Only dept type store left is Nordstrom's.

Honored Contributor

I love some of the Macy's brands--Karen Scott, Charter Club, JM--but like a previous poster I usually order on line and use free pick up at the store.  The Macy's here in Chicago--in the very much missed Marshall Field's building--is always undergoing "renovation" and I can no longer find things so easily.  But if they went completely out of business, I would be very unhappy.

Our BedBath&Beyond is closing here in Chicago.  It's a large space and wonder what will be moving in.

Esteemed Contributor

We recently had to buy a mattress for our son’s apt at college. He saw something at Macy’s online he thought would work for him. Went to the store. The woman was not very helpful at all. Finally settled on what he wanted. In the process of checking out, found out it was going to be THREE WEEKS before it was delivered. No way was he going to sleep on the floor for three weeks. Then went to a mattress store. Paid a bit more but took it all back to his apt with us. There were hardly any customers there. I think more store will be closing.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

Our Macy's is a hot mess. Not much is organized. It's mainly just racks of clearance items. There is so much to go through that it's not worth the time or effort.

Our Macy's isn't that bad but it is bad.  Dillards isn't much, if any, better.  I never shop in either.

I think Macy's will reorganize soon with a few stores in areas where it is profitable AND as a mainly online retailer.  I shop there a LOT but online only.  I get great deals.

Trusted Contributor

Not familiar with the Seattle store.

I have memories of my mother taking me to Macy's to buy dresses - including for the prom.  It was nice back then.  Haven't been in a Macy's in a while, although maybe I should poke my head into the NYC store across from Penn Station since I walk by it all the time.

I have ordered some things on line more recently which were for the most part ok, although the elbow on one jacket I ordered got a hole in it after two wearings.  (Took it to a tailor for repair.)

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m old enough to remember Seattle’s Macy’s predecessors — The Bon Marche and Frederick & Nelson. 

Trusted Contributor

I feel a little sad and nostalgic to see the demise of the downtown flagship stores. They had a completely different vibe than mall stores. A sad end of an era.

I worked for years at the downtown flagship store of a regional company that was swallowed up by Macy’s and eventually closed. Loved that store and was sad to see it go.

I’ve always joked that I’m the grim reaper of retail. Every store that I’ve worked in over a span of 25+ years eventually closed. 

Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

I feel a little sad and nostalgic to see the demise of the downtown flagship stores. They had a completely different vibe than mall stores. A sad end of an era.

I worked for years at the downtown flagship store of a regional company that was swallowed up by Macy’s and eventually closed. Loved that store and was sad to see it go.

I’ve always joked that I’m the grim reaper of retail. Every store that I’ve worked in over a span of 25+ years eventually closed. 

Stay away from Costco, please, @Maltichonmom17!