Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's will close the Seattle downtown store in Feb 2020.

I order a lot from Macy's online, and the closest store to me is ok......I don;t get to it that often though, because it isn't real convenient, so ordering online is easiest for me......I order clothing, beauty, home goods, and I have always been very happy with my merchandise.......I live in a town with a population of about 100,000 and our stores are closing left and right, so pretty much unless you want to drive to another town to shop-online is becoming the only way...... 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TY wrote:

My sister was the one who let me know about the Seattle downtown Macy's on the chopping block. She also rarely shops at the Tacoma mall Macy's store or the mall there in general. She recently went into the Tacoma mall Macy's and let me know about the messy racks of sales clothes which I told her was their Backstage area and she also noticed the lack of sales people in the store. 

Even though we live in different countries and cities, we love looking for a bargain like shopping at TJX owned stores. We also don't want to visit downtown stores when we can get free parking in the suburbs so downtown department stores are rarely going to get a thought let alone a visit.

She is an Amazon customer though while I am not but she will regularly look at Amazon for household stuff as well as Craigslist and she also looks at Ebay for clothes. I will buy the private label Macy's brand clothes from Hudson's Bay in Canada too. I have also noticed that Walmart Canada has stepped up the quality of their clothes including their PJs and bathrobes and I bought some nice tops and tankini swimsuit tops this year from Walmart Canada.

@TY  @SahmIam 

I got some snarky comments when I posted the results for the TJM companies....and I did it because QVC's sales were down in the categories of apparel and home goods but it appears that not all retailers are having that problem with these catgories and perhaps its the variety and the products they carry that make it sell.......TJM results are quite impressive in those cartegories, and one of the factors mentioned in their financial reports is that their "foot traffic" keeps increasing....So even in today's retail world with the emphasis of on-line shopping there are some brick and mortar retailers that know what to do to keep relevant and keep up with the competition, and draw customers in....Both Macys and QVC could learn something from them...They know what they are doing in today's retail climate....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Spurt @shoekitty @Msfitness  and everyone else:

Macy's can blame Amazon, tariffs, rising of minimum wages, unions (in my state, many department stores are part of local 400) and anything else they want BUT their decline started BEFORE these all became part of the countrys' landscape. WAY before.

@SahmIam 

Macys, Sears, JCP remained stagnant and didnt make the needed changes as time went on.....Frankly their respective store's leadership ....sunk their ship!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”