Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's will close the Seattle downtown store in Feb 2020.

Macy's is such a dump.  I miss Marshall Fields so much but the family did not want to keep the business.  The downtown Chicago anchor store was spectacular in it's day with 7 restaurants, the 28 Shop (women's designer clothing) and every imaginable beauty brand.  Christmas was always special in the Walnut Room with the huge Christmas tree.  I only have fond memories now.  There is a Macy's less than 1/2 mile from me.  Seems to do well but I rarely shop there.  In fact, it has been a couple of years since I have been there.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Macy's at the mall closest to me closed maybe 2 years ago I want to say. The empty building was purchased by Woodmans (grocery store) They are in the process of demolishing the former Macys store, &  building a new Woodmans there. I've never been in a Woodmans, but I've heard good things about it, I'm looking forward to when it opens. The only anchor store left at the mall is Kohls. Sears is finally closing, I have no idea how they stayed open as long as they did. 

Honored Contributor

Back in the 80's, the high end retailers in my area were Garfinkels (gone), I.Magnin (gone), Woodward and Lothrop (gone), Bloomingdales, Hechts and Macy's. 

The nearest Macy's to me shared a mall with Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales,  Macy's was amazing. Elegant. Gorgeous. The top floor was all home with a beautiful furniture department, cookware and home goods and then the best deli, wine and desserts around. You eat there or take away gourmet foods.Designer clothing and an Adrian Arpel Spa which was booked 6 months in advance.

My local mall had Hechts (a few steps below Woodward and Lothrop and many steps below Nordstrom; both of which were anchors as well as Sears). It still stands but Penny's took over the spot of Woodward and Lothrop. 

I don't know why but Macy's took over Hechts (no longer in business). The mall with Macy's Bloomies and Saks closed down and has since been torn down. The Macy's at my local mall is NOTHING like the one I used to shop at; it's a mess, dirty and disgusting with nothing but sale and junk items. It's shocking how far it has sunk.

Does anyone know what happened to Macy's for this spiral from a luxury/nice store to what it is now?

Honored Contributor

Macy's has been closing up under performing stores for several years.  I was in one of the big ones in a local mall about a month ago.  With friends, I myself don't shop in malls much anymore.  I was surprised by the emptiness and the lack interesting merchandise.  Granted, I shop online so I'm spoiled but there wasn't much diversity in what was on the racks and shelves.  Basic.  Safe.  Which is why brick&mortar stores are losing customers.  

Trusted Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Back in the 80's, the high end retailers in my area were Garfinkels (gone), I.Magnin (gone), Woodward and Lothrop (gone), Bloomingdales, Hechts and Macy's. 

The nearest Macy's to me shared a mall with Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales,  Macy's was amazing. Elegant. Gorgeous. The top floor was all home with a beautiful furniture department, cookware and home goods and then the best deli, wine and desserts around. You eat there or take away gourmet foods.Designer clothing and an Adrian Arpel Spa which was booked 6 months in advance.

My local mall had Hechts (a few steps below Woodward and Lothrop and many steps below Nordstrom; both of which were anchors as well as Sears). It still stands but Penny's took over the spot of Woodward and Lothrop. 

I don't know why but Macy's took over Hechts (no longer in business). The mall with Macy's Bloomies and Saks closed down and has since been torn down. The Macy's at my local mall is NOTHING like the one I used to shop at; it's a mess, dirty and disgusting with nothing but sale and junk items. It's shocking how far it has sunk.

Does anyone know what happened to Macy's for this spiral from a luxury/nice store to what it is now?

Like Bloomingdale's, Macy's was not, originally,a luxury/nice store.  They both reinvented themselves from very basic stores to better in the late-60s/early-70s. -- somewhere around that time. I don't know why it allowed itself to become a dump. It was always a zoo, though. I guess the employees are, probably, grossly underpaid. They were always pretty sullen -- if you could find one. 

I still support Macy's because it supports NYC.  I love shopping Bloomingdale's online, but, despise walking into the store. Sometimes, I'll pick-up online orders, but that's it. I find it to be a very unpleasant, claustrophobic store.

Nordstrom is opening in a couple of days, so I'll take a look.

Bonwit Teller, Bendel, Saks, L&T and Altman's were always the easiest to shop in (maybe because they were never as crowded -- I guess that's why most of them went out of business🤣). Not as frenetic. Bergdorf always left me cold. 

Honored Contributor

I don't shop in downtown Seattle anymore.  They have problems with crime and homelessness like many cities.  I heard on the news that Bartells (local drug store chain) are also pulling out of downtown citing safety concerns.  

Honored Contributor

I guess the saying what goes around comes around.  All these large chain stores ran the Mom & Pop stores out of business.  Now its happening to them.  I for one do not feel sorry for them.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

@SahmIam 

This is what the Financial Journals say:

The decline in department store market share is most definitely not driven primarily by the emergence of the internet, as many suggest. Poor, limited and incongruous assortments, over reliance on mostly meaningless celebrity brands and promiscuous and reckless promotional pricing have all taken their toll. Add to that poorly presented and poorly maintained stores. Stores with highly inconsistent levels of customer service. You can readily see why the writing on the wall is now increasingly writ large. The department store genre is not too big to fail.

The country’s largest department store has been grappling with a shopper exodus to rivals like ), Amazon which this year could eclipse the company as an apparel retailer, T.J Maxx and Ulta Beauty.

Macy’s has been hurt by weakness in the apparel industry, its biggest category, and the sameness of merchandise across department stores, which has forced the retailer to resort to deep discounting. What’s more, shopper traffic at many malls is in free-fall. In response, Macy’s, which named a new CEO earlier this year, is working on a number of initiatives, from leaner inventory management, to lining up more exclusive merchandise, to expanding its T.J. Maxx-Like concept Backstage.

The company tends to sell run-of-the-mill products that shoppers can find more easily — and often more cheaply — elsewhere.

“Here’s the unfortunate thing about Macy’s: There’s nothing that sets it apart,” said Milton Pedraza, chief executive of the Luxury Institute, a New York-based research firm. “It’s crowded, it’s messy, the service is poor. The business model of Macy’s is no longer justifiable in a world dominated by Amazon and Walmart.”

In the past Macy’s has been proud to speak to the run up of its macys.com business. Early on the company bragged about how much more volume it did in its stores with its new internet customers. Unfortunately, it has become increasingly clear that today’s macys.com customer is avoiding both Macy’s stores and the mall they reside in. Rather than use their website as a billboard for the Macy’s brand, it has merely served as a surrogate for the company’s weekly promotional newspaper insert or run of press ads.

The “Magic of Macy’s” promised great customer engagement. So how does this square with self-service footwear and cosmetics? It doesn’t. Congruity is another lifeblood of a successful retailer. Just exactly how will Macy’s reconcile full service customer service with self-service selling? Are they going to be competitive with Nordstrom’s or with Kohl’s? Interestingly, today’s most successful retailers, whether internet driven Amazon, or, brick and mortar based Costco, provide great customer service. Macy’s, like virtually all retailers, say they provide great customer service but in fact don’t. So, what’s it going to be Macy’s? Great service, no service, or what?

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@SahmIam 

This is what the Financial Journals say:

The decline in department store market share is most definitely not driven primarily by the emergence of the internet, as many suggest. Poor, limited and incongruous assortments, over reliance on mostly meaningless celebrity brands and promiscuous and reckless promotional pricing have all taken their toll. Add to that poorly presented and poorly maintained stores. Stores with highly inconsistent levels of customer service. You can readily see why the writing on the wall is now increasingly writ large. The department store genre is not too big to fail.

The country’s largest department store has been grappling with a shopper exodus to rivals like ), Amazon which this year could eclipse the company as an apparel retailer, T.J Maxx and Ulta Beauty.

Macy’s has been hurt by weakness in the apparel industry, its biggest category, and the sameness of merchandise across department stores, which has forced the retailer to resort to deep discounting. What’s more, shopper traffic at many malls is in free-fall. In response, Macy’s, which named a new CEO earlier this year, is working on a number of initiatives, from leaner inventory management, to lining up more exclusive merchandise, to expanding its T.J. Maxx-Like concept Backstage.

The company tends to sell run-of-the-mill products that shoppers can find more easily — and often more cheaply — elsewhere.

“Here’s the unfortunate thing about Macy’s: There’s nothing that sets it apart,” said Milton Pedraza, chief executive of the Luxury Institute, a New York-based research firm. “It’s crowded, it’s messy, the service is poor. The business model of Macy’s is no longer justifiable in a world dominated by Amazon and Walmart.”

In the past Macy’s has been proud to speak to the run up of its macys.com business. Early on the company bragged about how much more volume it did in its stores with its new internet customers. Unfortunately, it has become increasingly clear that today’s macys.com customer is avoiding both Macy’s stores and the mall they reside in. Rather than use their website as a billboard for the Macy’s brand, it has merely served as a surrogate for the company’s weekly promotional newspaper insert or run of press ads.

The “Magic of Macy’s” promised great customer engagement. So how does this square with self-service footwear and cosmetics? It doesn’t. Congruity is another lifeblood of a successful retailer. Just exactly how will Macy’s reconcile full service customer service with self-service selling? Are they going to be competitive with Nordstrom’s or with Kohl’s? Interestingly, today’s most successful retailers, whether internet driven Amazon, or, brick and mortar based Costco, provide great customer service. Macy’s, like virtually all retailers, say they provide great customer service but in fact don’t. So, what’s it going to be Macy’s? Great service, no service, or what?

Maybe not primary, but, definitely large contributing factor. In the past, you had no choice but to put up with a crummy stores to shop around. There wasn't nearly as much competition. It could take an entire day to go through the handful of department stores here to, possibly, find what you wanted or needed. Several days if you went to individual boutiques around the city. 

I don't think most people want to spend that kind of time shopping anymore. 

Now, you go online and comparison shop from home. Maybe, things didn't look as generic back then, because there weren't millions of other places to compare to. 

It would be impossible for Macy's in NYC to fill up that enormous store with unique items, only. 

I believe it's a combination of things. 

Trusted Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

I feel a little sad and nostalgic to see the demise of the downtown flagship stores. They had a completely different vibe than mall stores. A sad end of an era.

I worked for years at the downtown flagship store of a regional company that was swallowed up by Macy’s and eventually closed. Loved that store and was sad to see it go.

I’ve always joked that I’m the grim reaper of retail. Every store that I’ve worked in over a span of 25+ years eventually closed. 

Stay away from Costco, please, @Maltichonmom17!

@tansy, lol! You can rest easy, after my last store closure, I retired and that was the end of my retail days. I’m probably one of the last remnants of ”old school” brick and mortar retail who remember it when it was in its heyday. Sad to say that retail is a whole different world these days and not my cup of tea.