Trusted Contributor

That are "underperforming".  But they will open 15 new Bloomingdales and 30 new Blue Mercury stores.  The emphasis seems to be on luxury.

Respected Contributor

Re: Macy's to close 150 stores

[ Edited ]

The Bloomingdale's and Blue Mercury brands are out performing Macy's. 

30 new Macy's will open, smaller and outside of the traditional mall environment. 

This makes great business sense to me.  The "luxury" brand, Bloomingdale's, is posting strong numbers.

Foot traffic at traditional large stores attached to a mall continues to fall.

Esteemed Contributor

That doesn't make sense to me.  If people aren't buying as much at Macy's, why on earth would they think enough folks are going to shell out $$$ on luxury items?  I sure hope they don't close our Macy's.

Respected Contributor

I never knew that Bloomingdales was owned by Macy's until this year.  Have to check out Blue Mercury. Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

I hope that many people who can afford to shop there patronize the upscale stores, the economy could use the money.

Respected Contributor

Fourth Quarter 2023 v Fourth Quarter 2022 Sales Revenue:

Macy's Brand:  -2.5%

Bloomingdale's Brand:  +3.5%

Blue Mercury Brand:  +7.8%

Follow the money.

Honored Contributor

I never really  liked Macy's.  On Saturday I went to the mall.  I asked my sister if we should go to Macy's   She simply made a face and said no.  She hates Macy's.  We ended up at Nordstrom,  I fell in love with one top I saw at a distance.  Its was from Vince for $325.00 and looked every dollar bill of it.  But we also saw tops for $65.00 with $25.00 off at cashier's.  So there were some stuff we got.  Good quality too.  So I'm happy camper at Nordstrom.  We also hit The Loft and Banana Republic. 

Honored Contributor

@songbird   I am the exact opposite.  I buy many items online from Macy's.  Have a Nordstrom's across the street and may have bought one thing there in the 8 years I've lived here.  It seems a little too "trendy" for me.  Prefer Karen Scott and Charter Club brands at Macy's.

Respected Contributor

@They Call Me MR Wilkes wrote:

The Bloomingdale's and Blue Mercury brands are out performing Macy's. 

30 new Macy's will open, smaller and outside of the traditional mall environment. 

This makes great business sense to me.  The "luxury" brand, Bloomingdale's, is posting strong numbers.

Foot traffic at traditional large stores attached to a mall continues to fall.

FYI: Today's paper:Macy's and Bloomingdale's sales during the 2023 holiday shopping season were down compared to a year before.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Bloomingdale's brand is outperforming the Macy's brand, per financial statements released by Macy's Inc.

Total combined, aggregated sales (Macy's, Bloomingdale's and Blue Mercury) were down, but Bloomingdale's and Blue Mercury showed growth.