Respected Contributor

Re: Macy's just announced another 100 stores will be closed

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

DINKs =

D = Double

I = Income

N = No

K = Kids

Fewer and fewer people are choosing to go to the mall.

Why fight traffic, add wear and tear on your vehicle, circle the parking lot, deal with "rude" salespeople, when you can shop from the comfort of home 24/7?

You are so right about that.  I had to get tires put on my car last month and used a tire store at the mall.  I had a couple of hours to wait that Saturday and so did some shopping.  The mall was shockingly empty.  I guess the heydey of mall shopping is behind us.  If I lived really close, I would go over there to walk in the air conditioning.  It is that empty.  The place is crawling with people during the Christmas-shopping season, but that's about it.

Honored Contributor

The Macy's by me is in a mall anchored by Nordstrom.  I cut through Macy's from the parking lot and it is always empty while Nordstrom is always busy.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

The Macy's by me is in a mall anchored by Nordstrom.  I cut through Macy's from the parking lot and it is always empty while Nordstrom is always busy.  

Even Nordstrom's is supposed to be in some trouble:/

The one by me is usually busy, too.  

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of macys, but I don't like to see them not doing well.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Macys is not what it used to be, I hope they get back to selling quality merchandise. They have an excellent online store with lots of bargains and reasonable S&H.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

2.5 years ago our closest mall is slowly closing its doors! With 6 months of each other Macy's, JCP, Bath & Body Works, Yankee Candle & Children's Place (or Carters), Linens & things, Avenue closed up....Sears & Dillards are hanging on by a "thread". 

Then they  opened a Ulta & TJ Maxx -- I'm sure they are next.

The next closest mall with these stores is 1 hour away -- personally there is nothing to draw me to drive 2 hours r/t  for something they "might" have.  

I am enjoying online shopping more & more -- not only do I take

advantage of free shipping (to me or gift reciepent) I like I don't pay return shipping fees. So far, working perfectly for me and I'm shopping at smaller stores in my area  if I need to get something right away.

our Kohls is becoming a waste of time, store is not well stocked, very limited selection and higher prices when no coupons or incentives!! I'm thinking that's next to go!!! 

Its a a sign of the times! I don't need any clothing, home decor, etc. I can't say the last thing I purchased by going to a traditional store -- guess I'm just lazy!

as soon as I get those free shipping /. Coupons / sales I'm right on it! Just ordered my GD school clothes, undies, socks, sheets, books, new crayons and a $5o gc to staples for schoolsuppli

es which is shipping directly to her with Free shipping.

why fight the mall crowds, rude unhelpful employees (if you can find them) high prices. Esp at Macy's they nicely send me great "valued customer coupons" everything I try to use them  1/2 the time it will get me in Macy's store but 1/2 those    Coupons rant valid on what I want to buy!!

my rant is over! Thanks for letting me vent!😠😠😵

Esteemed Contributor

No loss that's for sure. They could close today, I wouldn't miss them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

I saw this as well.  It is true.  I heard they are going to concentrate more with online shopping.  There goes more jobs!   The internet has really hurt us. 

Has it? My husband is gainly employed because of the Internet.   My son will be, too, when he graduates.  The problem with Macy's is their snotty service and awful products where I live in the South.  When I lived in CA they had beautiful things, but horrible service.  They will never be Nordstrom.  Also, my feeling is why do we have to have 4 Macy's in a 15 mile radius where I live? Our Targets aren't ever busy either.  Too many of them.  Sears is the same way,

@GSPgirl- as much as I love Norstrom, they have changed as well and facing the same difficulties as Macy's.  I do find that Norstrom has moved toward trendier styles and merchandise and the B&M store in my area has changed and not for the better.  They no longer have the live piano music and the whole store is leaning towards tacky.  It was announced the Nordstrom was facing financial losses as well.  But, the customer service is superb as always, their sales are the best and quality is still there when I do find something I like.  Their inventory is not as great as it had been in the past.  Online shopping has hurt most B&M stores and people will lose jobs but with change and progress a whole different set of people with different skills will have employment; that has always been.  Technology jobs have exploded and created many employment opportunities particularly in California. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Qgirl2  In my opinion the internet has taken away a lot of jobs.  I started out in retail at the age of 16.  If you lost a job , there was always job openings in retail.  These young kids can't find jobs.  So in my opinion yes, it has hurt the younger generation. THere was always part time jobs for Christmas help.  Not anymore. 

Rather than saying the internet has taken away a lot of jobs, I would say this is all part of the evolution of society. 

I'm not disagreeing with you, just shinning a different light on it.  I remember when I was still in school and the big buzz was how automation was taking away a lot of jobs, and it was.  But it also created new jobs, it was a transformation.

That's what I see happening now and imo it's because of supply and demand.

People don't have as much time to spend trolling the malls or even grocery stores.  People are more busy today than they were 40 years ago.  Most families are DINKS, double income, both mom and dad working, not to mention shuffling the kids around.

@Noel7- technology has created many many job opportunities and many for disabled people who could not work in the past.   I agree with your evaluation and this is the cycle in an advanced society.  As we progress, ways of doing things change.  When I was in the workforce, I constantly updated my skills and that is the answer in order to remain gainfully employed.  I am sure Macy's will select many employees with computer skills from their workforce as they move to a more net based operation.