Respected Contributor

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/07/macys-cfo-paula-price-to-depart-in-may.html

Picture of the store looks like Macy's at my mall - EMPTY ...

Has been like that for years.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

In my area Macy's was always pretty busy and the store was remodeled late 2019 into early 2020...I hope they return.

Esteemed Contributor

It will be symbolically difficult to adjust to the demise of Macy's. I sincerely hope they can weather the storm.

Super Contributor

Beyond the obvious of no longer having Macy's as a shopping option, I find it hard to think of no Thanksgiving Day Parade or Macy's 4th of July Fireworks.  The end of two traditions in my home and I would hate to see that happen.  

Respected Contributor

I still shop at Macy's and enjoy it.  But it is obvious it is limping along . . . and this was before COVID shut it down.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I am sure the online MACY store will continue just fine.

I do not think B&M stores are very relevent for clothes etc at this time especially now.  In the future, when things start to return to people shopping again... most will continue to shop online as they see how much simpler and less stress full it is.   

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaidenI think you're right that brick and mortar stores won't see a return to the kinds of traffic they once had.

I do know for me that I have been close to 100% a b & m clothing shopper and I see little chance that I'll be buying all that many clothes for a long time.  The main benefit for me of having to shop onlne is that while I probably will need to make an occasional purchase, without being able to head into a store and see what's there, sort through the racks, carry a few items I didn't know I wanted into a dressing room, I suspect I will buy far fewer items.   

Can't imagine I'll need new for many. many months but until I physically can't -  the majority of what I do buy will come from a local shop.

Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's CFO Jumps ship

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am sure the online MACY store will continue just fine.

I do not think B&M stores are very relevent for clothes etc at this time especially now.  In the future, when things start to return to people shopping again... most will continue to shop online as they see how much simpler and less stress full it is.   

@SeaMaiden  @millieshops 

As far as online shopping, after the virus quarantine is lifted I think people will see major changes regarding that too..........Even before the virus, evn mighty Amazon started to lose revenue because of the cost of shipping and delivery to keep up with the demad. Pretty soon even Amazon wont be much of a bargain as they raise the cost of their prime delivery service, and they are now starting to buy their own trucks---the cost of the trucks, hiring drivers, maintenance for the trucks etc....all these costs will be passed on to the customers in the form of higher prices.  Other online retailers will also experience additional costs of shipping and delivery too.........And then there's dealing with porch pirates that are becoming more and more prevelant too....Online shopping is trading one set of problems for another.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I think recreational shopping is going away and not coming back. The cathedrals dedicated to it, the malls, have been failing for a long time. We are going to have to find other things to do for fun.

Purchases are a means to an end, not an event in and of themselves. Online shopping has revealed that. Click, research, compare, click, hit submit, and the item is on its way. Took all of 15 minutes to do and you could do it from your bed, a park, work, or even your washroom. No parking no driving no checkout line.

We need to come up with new passtimes and a new economy.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Contributor

This is also very sad for those who own stock in REITS.  As the stock market took a nose dive all of those type of stocks have a very attractive dividend and a low share price but beware folks as it is not a good idea to buy them when so many of their tenants will be folding for good. We were not in the stock market but had been advised to sell our low producing municipal bonds for some safe stocks that are also producing high dividends.