Valued Contributor

Re: Mackenzie Lueck's Friends Defend the Slain U. of Utah Student

I;m not sure using the word "blame" is what anyone really thinks. 

Look, no one deserves to be tortured and murdered because of their life choices, heck, I don't even support the death penalty for criminals. I cannot even imagine how a parent feels when their child is murdered and they have to hear about a the lifestyle the child was living. My heart would break in a million pieces.  

But with that said, you have to ask yourself why, why would  any normal sane person who is aware of all the evil and crazies in this world do things that put them in such harm's way? I remember as a teenager going out with someone who drove to a seedy part of town and as a "joke" left me there at 11:00 at night. Of course he drove to the corner and watched and came back and picked me up but I knew I should never be put in those circumstances again. I thought I knew him and obviously found out who he really was and that was it for me. 

So here we have adults who willingly put themselves in situations that are risky, dangerous and stupid. Play it through in your mind and ask yourself could this be a bad move on my part? Meeting a stranger at 3 am seemed like a normal, safe thing to do? Id you answer yes to that, then you're not thinking clearly. 

So IMO that is what people refer to as "victim blaming", not that she deserved to die. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
It is disgusting that so many blame or disparage the victim when they are no longer able to defend themselves. Only cowards do such a thing. Blaming Mackenzie just puts more hurt on her family that is already grief-stricken. This young woman did not deserve to be brutally murdered...no matter what she may or may not have done prior to her demise. It is shameful to even hint in anyway that her own behavior caused her own death. Laming someone who can’t defend themselves is a cowardly act imo.

Such a grandiose statement but....who is saying this?

No one.

Honored Contributor

I do not think she deserved this ,oh my what a horrible act this was, but i do think  she was ignoring the dangerous, is this common among  college students?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

She'll be tried again, I promise. If a victim has already been tried and convicted in public thinking, It'll get worse during the actual trial of the killer.  Quite often its's the strategy of the Defence to blame the victim out right or by innuendo. Hopefully there will be a strong prosecution to stop this.  The trial in the public eye has already convicted her and has given her the death penalty.. 

Honored Contributor

Thinking back to things I've done...

How do we know she hadn't met this person before? Perhaps they had met many times before, there were no issues/flags and so she believed she had nothing to fear. I've met people I knew  in the wee hours because I was up late studying, got off of work, after leaving a club, etc. it's not that odd to me, to be honest. 

Meeting a complete stranger? No. At least I wouldn't/didn't.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

For the love of God, could we not stoop to calling her "sugar baby"?

That's actually what she called herself in some of her social media posts while advising other young women how to become a 'sugar baby' like herself and which sites she used to find a 'sugar daddy'.

In that post, she said she currently had 2.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

I think she had no clue about evil men.My daughters don't watch the news.When I try to tell them about cases like this one they don't want to hear them.

When I was younger I felt confident,now I think carefully and worry about everything.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

For the love of God, could we not stoop to calling her "sugar baby"?

That's actually what she called herself in some of her social media posts while advising other young women how to become a 'sugar baby' like herself and which sites she used to find a 'sugar daddy'.

In that post, she said she currently had 2.

@KingstonsMom  Her name is Mackenzie,, not sugar baby.  What she posted on social media does not define her nor does it diminish the tragedy of her death.

People are only looking at the sugar baby aspect of her life instead of seeing the young woman who met an undeserved fate.

Not to mention the alleged murderer is put on the back burner; he should be the focus of any disdain, not Mackenzie.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 

I don't disagree with anything in your post.

I was just stating the fact about why she's referred to as "sugar baby" by some.

It wasn't just made up, it was how she referred to herself.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.