Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mackenzie Lueck's Friends Defend the Slain U. of Utah Student

@Cakers3 wrote:

And here we go-sugar daddy, would never meet a man in a park at night, must have been a business transaction, etc. etc. etc.

No empathy for Mackenzie; just the usual self-righteous and high-minded (not) thinking about what might be scintillating scenarios instead of focusing on her as a human being who met a very sad fate at the hands of some sociopath.  A person with absolutely no care for human life. 

Not sure it is fair to talk in absolutes.  Of course people have empathy for what this young woman endured, yet common sense would tell you not to go into a park alone at 3 am.  What the previous relationship between these two was and the reason for meeting at the  park at that hour may shed more light on the situation and peoples perspective.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

There’s a lot of people that say she deserved this because

she put herself in this situation and we don’t officially know that,"

Who are these ‘people’ these girls are talking about?

From many of the reports I’ve read, new stories reported 

and social media posts....everyone is sympathetic she 

lost her life.  For anyone to imply there’s a large chunk of 

people saying she deserved it is wrong into itself. 

Kind of a....double-wrong. I would coach these girls to

stay off social media & let the authorities do their job.

Honored Contributor

No matter what it was, she certainly didn't deserve to be murdered. That someone could even think, that is sickening

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

No matter what it was, she certainly didn't deserve to be murdered. That someone could even think, that is sickening

I honestly don’t think anyone is....it’s the reaction from her

friend’s sorrow coming out in an unusual, albeit public, way. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom

I would agree with you that these young woman need to stop whatever they think they are doing.

It's the absolute obsession with blathering everything about someone in such a public way that disturbs me.

Whatever this young woman did or didn't do would not justify being murdered.  

And, her friends really need to just shut up for now.  Good grief, do people just not have any self-control?

Respected Contributor

@Cakers , thanks for the additional insight. Very true!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

It hurts them that her image has been tarnished.  It's true, her killer targeted women but if we can believe the reports, he didn't hunt her.  He targeted her and other foolish young  women who went looking for a so called  a "sugar daddy" and we all know what that means.Hopefully, her death serves as lesson to other young women.     

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy 

I'm sure you never hooked up with a man from one of those so called  "sugar daddy" websites either.   We all KNOW what that means even if we want to pretend we don't.  This was not random crime.  She certainly did not deserve the horrible thing that happened but stating the obvious in this case does not equate to blaming the victim.  She didn't arrange a "date" with that man.  It was a transaction, which is why she didn't tell anyone what her plans were.    

Honored Contributor

Outright blaming may not be that common, although it exists; but subtle blaming is all too common.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

What irks me is the double standard.

If she was "working" in another part of the city at 3am and wasn't an attractive student enrolled in college and a sorority girl it would have been a story for 60 seconds.

I've worked in major metro cities including Detroit. I pulled in one morning to get a drive thru coffee and saw a Coroner's wagon across the street. A young woman met a similar fate.

No one was outaged, no headlines, no CNN and yet I'm sure that woman also had people who loved her.