Esteemed Contributor

Re: MY WASHING MACHINE JUST DIED!!

@gabstoomuch, after exhaustive research and discussions, I bought a Whirlpool fridge.  There is a light in the freezer.  The only addon was an ice maker which I did not hook up.  Good luck!  LM

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My washing machine went a year & a half ago.  Had a Fisher & Paykel that was all electronic, less moving parts, bells & whistles, you name it...lasted about 10 years and used only for 2 at home adults, no heavy duty or heavily soiled laundry.

Was checking reviews online and found a pretty highly rated Whirlpool Cabrio 4.3 cu. ft., 12 cycle, top loading with stainless tub, no center impeller.  Model # WTW5000DW1.  It is huge & deep...compared to my previous machine I cannot get enough clothes into it to fill it because it's so big...lol!  Uses very little water but cleans amazingly well.  Store was having special deal and I got it for around $425. back then.

Just looked online & the big nationwide store with the blue banner and the 2 names that both begin with B B 😉currently has for $499.99...and is showing that is $175. off of $674.99.  Rating is about 4.3 out of 5.  I've been very satisfied with no problems.  Only thing I miss from my previous machine is the delayed timer mechanism where I could delay the start for 1, 3 or 9 hours.  

My friend purchased a Speed Queen about 8 months ago...supposed to be "the best" she was told....spent $1200 on it and already had to call for service 2 times.  So much for "the best"!

Honored Contributor

When i bought my Whirlpool dryer 7 years ago, the salesman told me its lifespan will be 8 years. My old dryer last me 32 years!!

Respected Contributor

Bought our Maytag lg capacity front load stackers in 2006 and have had never had a problem. I even wash my mother’s king-size comforter at our house because the comforter is too big for her traditional top-load machine. I think we paid nearly $2000, and it’s been worth every penny. Just don’t “buy cheap.” My parents taught me well.

Trusted Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

I know this post isn't going to make you feel any better but my still under warranty Matag Bravos top loader is waiting for repair for the second time.  Washer died the day before Christmas Eve.  Called the Maytag repair number in the warranty book and they send out a 3rd party repair service.  Man came almost a week after I called.  He put the machine in test mode and bingo it worked. He says, there are no codes showing anything wrong and the machine is okay.  So, he leaves.  I then fill the machine with dirty clothes, put a laundry pod in and push the wash button. It fills with water and then NOTHING!  Couldn't get it to drain, rinse, spin or anything.  Had to take all the clothes out and try and wring them by hand and go to the laundromat (which I havent been to in 40 years).  

Put a call in to the repair service and told them he was here not 15 minutes ago and send him back.  She says, sorry we can't do that.  The earliest we can have him there is Jan.8th (tomorrow) after waiting 6 days.  I'm so done with this piece of Maytag garbage!  It will be out of warranty on the 23rd of this month.  

There aren't any good washers left.  Even the Speed Queen has decided to make an inferior 2018 machine and Whirlpool has bought out Maytag and a ton of other manufacturers.  So, good luck finding any decent appliances.  

***UPDATE:  After posting this, the washer continued to stop between the wash and rinse cycle and just blink.  Since it was still under warranty, they kept sending a repairman out.  Long story short, two acutators, one wire housing and three computer boards were put in in a time frame of 7 weeks.  I finally had had it because I was no longer going to take sopping wet laundry out of the washer, have to wring them by hand and drag them to a laundromat.  I called Whirpool, which now owns Maytag, and gave them a very good account of everything that was done and how many repair calls.  They are replacing the entire unit (not with the same washer as it is no longer  being manufactured..(Wonder why??).  I could pick any washer on the website I want but if it exceeded $800, I would pay the difference.  I picked the Maytag Commercial (for residential use) with the aggitator no sensing boards and 1/2 horsepower motor.  It was made in 2017 to rival the 2017 and earlier Speed Queen.  It got great independent 3rd party reviews and has a full 5 year all parts and labor warranty as opposed to the 1 year that is mostly given.  Looking forward to getting this piece of carp out of here on Wednesday and having the new one installed.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

home appliances aren’t meant to last but a couple years any longer.  

Had a speed queen washer for 5 yrs and washer was horrid on running my electric bill sky high. I wash with warm water. The speed queen uses much water for washing and rinsing.  The rinse cycle only washed for 1 minute and that was it. I had so much soap suds left in my clothes. I was using HE pods laundry soap and no matter what I used the washer would not rinse out the clothes. I just gave up. I purchased a front loader LG.

I know many will say LG are awful.

Have also owned Maytag,Whirlpool,Samsung, GE. All of them gave me so many problems and repair problems

I will say that  Samsung home appliances  are the worst, they are trash, last less then 2 yrs and had repairs to long to even list. LG dryer that lasted a couple of years too. I purchased a Maytag dryer, have had that a couple yrs now, so far so good.

no matter what you purchase home appliances just don’t last any longer. I guess the manufacturers think we have money to throw away so they make them cheaply expecting us to purchase new products every couple years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel for you, we have had that happen twice thru the years and each time...IT had a FULL load and FULL of water. Grr

We have had our current Whirlpool front loader and dryer for about 15 years. Working fine...knock wood...so far. Got ours at Lowes and we buy the extended warranty.

BTW: Love the front loader system!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

i know a guy that use to fix washers and hes done it for us. but if your washer starts having a burning smell then that means it cant be fixed and if your transmission goes out that can be expensive but anything else on an older washer is worth fixing.newer washers are expensive to fix no matter whats wrong with them. we have a 15 year old whirlpool washer. anything goes wrong with it . if i can be fixed i would rather fix it and keep it as long as possible. good luck on youe search and some do have th deep wash and rinse option.

Respected Contributor

our dishwasher maytag is 10 years old and i allways had a service contract on it and good thing. i cant remember how man repairs on it but vits atleast 8 repairs on it. it washes very good. 

Esteemed Contributor

Not sure what is going on. But my Whirpool just stopped. It was between the wash and rinse cycle. And of course the lid is locked and no lights are on. The cancel button doesn't work. Nothing works.  It is about 2 years old.

I am so disappointed in this Whirpool. It takes forever, clothes are so twisted when they come out and it makes so much noise. My 35 year old Maytag was quiet and did such a nice job cleaning clothes - I miss it. I am getting too old to have this washer become temperamental.