Honored Contributor

Re: MY WASHING MACHINE JUST DIED!!

[ Edited ]

@nana59

The only advice I can offer is avoid Samsung.  I have one. Never again.

The Sears (now gone in my area) repair man said go with Whirlpool.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

@nana59 - you are living one of my greatest fears right now - my washer (Maytag) was new in May 1983.  It seems to be doing fine but I cross my fingers with every load.

I read all the threads about appliances and make notes of recommendations.  The one I noted for washers is the same as @kitcat51 suggest in her post - Maytag MVWP575GW.

Good luck and let us know what you end up purchasing!

Frequent Contributor

@brandiwine

That's what my repair guy said too! He actually said that LG and Samsung were "******." I have the LG TROMM model, and he said it was the last best model.

My washer stopped working on Dec. 28, and I'm waiting for the $200 part to arrive this week. The sensor for the drain function isn't working.

Hope it fixes the problem. I think I'll ask him what manufacturer he recommends.

By the way, the LG and Samsung parts are warranteed for 15 days; that's right, just 15 days!

Respected Contributor

My LG washer is 6 years old. We haven’t had any problems with it so far. But that could change tomorrow.  Disconcerting to hear about parts taking a long time to get.

Honored Contributor

My friend had a Samsung, could not even find a repairman who was willing to even try to fix it!!

Respected Contributor

When my 4 year old Upper end LG needed to be replaced I went with GE to use my replacement warranty I had at Sears. I didn’t want to fork out any more money to go to upper level anything so I picked the GE where I could select extra deep water for each level. I need that to wash sheets adequately. I have to have enough to balance loads because the machine rattled and moves when unbalanced. Uhh. Washing laundry should not be this challenging. It’s ok but wish I had old Whirlpool back.
Esteemed Contributor

That's disheartening to hear that your 7 year old washing machine is a goner. My 17 year old Sears washing machine died last summer (the dryer died 6 months before that). DH and I went to Lowes and bought a mid-range GE washer - same style as the dryer we bought earlier. The thing that stunned me was that the Lowes delivery guys had to use extra muscle to take my old washer down the steps and out to their truck....the new one is definitely much lighter in weight. The bottom line is that I'm very happy with my new GE washer (large fill capacity) and dryer. No, it's not top of the line or a designer brand, but both the washer and dryer work well for the 2 of us and the price was very reasonable. We had great service from Lowes - delivered on time and no problems with them setting it up.

Honored Contributor

I was one of the posters that began a thread about last October about washers. Which is better. Top loader HE or front loader HE.

I looked and looked and looked. The new market washers all have good and bad points for each of them. Some don’t fill up, some don’t agitate well. Some wrap clothes up (tangle them).

I purchased an LG front loader direct drive washer from Sears Homestore (NOT CONNECTED TO REGULAR SEARS).

Have had to get use to using very little laundry detergent. I mean very little 1TBspoon of laundry soap for most loads.  Don’t use more detergent or you’ll have a mess on your hands.

I got rid of a Speed Queen washer. It was a work horse but one LOUSY washer for washing and rinsing clothes. The speed queen ruined quite a few of my clothes putting holes in my clothes. It used an extreme amount of water per load. My water bill skyrocketed with my speed queen washer. Speed queen also has a small washing drum. 3.2, you can only do small half loads in the speed queen washer if you want your clothes move freely around the agitator and tub.

just begin reading, looking . See which brand gives good reviews, which are work horses.  Even call an appliance repair man or service talk with them about which brand is a good reliable brand that will do the loads you will be using the most. 

I did call and talk with an appliance repair man he gave me pro and cons of each brand which is troublesome and which are good brands .

good luck

Honored Contributor

@nana59- I've just read through this whole thread to see what everyone thinks and figure you're no closer to an answer!

I would never have another Maytag anything in my house after all the trouble I had, yet others recommend them.  (In the "old days", yes, they were reliable, but that isn't true anymore, IMO.)  BTW, all the parts for the major brands (Maytag, Whirlpool, GE) are made in China, even if they're "assembled" here, so it actually makes little difference.

Do come back and let us know what you decide upon and how it works out.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my opinion there are not ANY good appliances anymore.

My washer was on its last leg last year and it was 28 years old. I had 4 kids, all of them are grown now, but you can imagine how much laundry that thing did. That was back in the days when I washed my cloth diapers!

I wish I had fixed that old one. I looked and looked and looked for a washer/dryer (figured to replace the pair instead of just the washer) for months.

It was a nightmare trying to find one that had the basic need. Put the water in, swish it, and drain it. No need for 7 or 8 washing cycle choices.

It was the water level that was the deal breaker for every single washer. Even the basic no-frills ones have water level sensors.

I finally had to settle for one because I had reached the end of my patience looking. I only had 2 things that were really important to me. One was that the top did not lock once the cycle started. That alone wiped a whole lot of brands off my list immediately. Who doesn't find "one more thing" and run to throw it in? Nope, all locking tops. Dealbreaker for me.

Second was ability to control water level. Nope. All washers are water savers now. What they consider "deep water" was still only 1/2 the tub. The tub is huge, and can fit a lot, but it doesn't put enough water in it. I have to stand there and push the clothes down into the water until it is done filling, and even then, the water barely covers the clothes.

A big tub does me no good if half the clothes are not in the water. But no matter what the tag says on it in the store, you really don't know until you get it home. I do not like these water saving washers. Mine does not even have an "add water" feature. I suppose that should have been third on my wish list but I never thought of it. The tub is big ennough to do a comforter, but I highly doubt it would even get it wet if I tried to wash one.

Good luck in your shopping! My refridgerator is now 30 years old, and yes it looks like I live in the Leave It To Beaver house (old appliances), but wow, appliances are made so poorly now. I know it is at its end of life, and I have been looking for about 6 months, but there is just nothing out there I am happy with. The insides are all cheap plastic bins on the doors, and the shelving is not as sturdy either. The dealbreaker for what I have looked at is having a light in the freezer.

Every model (within my price range) has taken the light out of the freezer. I can't for the life of me figure out what manufacturing cost saving was for them to remove the light? Not putting the light in the freezer saved them a million dollars? I doubt it.

We have become a throw away society. That is sad. An older (very older) man at the home store told me that max life span for just about any appliance now is 5-7 years. Long gone are the appliances that last 30 years. It is not that they can't still build them to last, they just make more money by making cheap stuff. Even the refridgerators that cost an astounding $3000.00 will only last 5-7 years before starting to have repair costs added. I would use a camping cooler before I ever paid 3000.00 for a fridge!