Honored Contributor

Re: MY WASHING MACHINE JUST DIED!!

@nova wrote:

@chickenbutt @ShowMe  I have the same exact problem being barely 5 ft with a deep top loader washer.  I had to get a stepstool that I keep in the laundry room so I can step up just to reach down & get the clothes!  And I have hurt my ribs a couple of times doing it.

Ouch!  Well, at least you're not alone.   Smiley Happy   Who would ever have thought about the depth of the drum in terms of being able to reach it.  I know I didn't but I do remember seeing a couple of mentions on the internet when I was looking around.  

Meanwhile my husband was at the store just randomly choosing machines and I had to put the kibosh on that because he did no research!    (that's kind of how he does things, to my dismay)

He called me and I started looking around quickly and chose the GE machine and the corresponding GE dryer, and I am glad I did.   I also lucked out about the 'deep fill' thing because I didn't know about any of that, going in, as my machines were 20+ years old.

I think he was trying to be helpful by shopping on his own but he just doesn't put in the work to make the right decision. 

Same happened with our new refrigerator.  This was like a month earlier.  He was choosing something that I looked up and it had some serious problems in reviews.  I told him and, while I was at it, I had interest in an LG model that not only had good reviews but was top-rated on Consumer Reports.   Just got a current CR mag and that model of top-freezer refrigerator was still rated #1, so I'm glad we ended up with it and I have really enjoyed it.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

recently replaced our washer and dryer in our beach home. this happened about two months ago. the salesperson encouraged us to purchase a commercial speedqueen. so far so good.......and i cannot believe how quiet it is!

it is a top load washing machine with a nice seven year warranty. TR7

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@ShowMe  I don't know why I didn't think of that myself.  On the weekends my husband usually ends up making a trip to Home Depot so that is definitely on my list to purchase.  Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Speed Queen.

Do not waste time, energy, money researching.   I've had them all.  Finally, a washer that is no-frills (less breakage).   

@nana59

Honored Contributor

@nana59  My over 20+ years  old washer died two days before Thanksgiving.  I did some research and went out to get a new one that very night.

what I found out is the Federal Government has prohibited the manufacturers of making washers that use a full tub of water.  It doesn't matter what brand you buy, you will always be using less water than you want to.

to make a long story short, I purchased a washer with a center agitator and no electronic controls.  There is a button to add additional water to the wash cycle and the rinse cycle, but I sure do miss my old washer.

i wish my old washer could have been fixed.

Respected Contributor

My repair guy said stay away from Samsung & LG.  Takes MONTHS to get parts.  He recommended speed queen/

Honored Contributor

@nana59That is awful!

I hope my Maytags that are new don't die-they better last!

Before them in my apt I bought my own Roper-they were highly recommended by the office agent there.

I liked them and they were simple, made in USA and very inexpensive.

They might be hard to find though.

And they do have the center agitator.

I like not having an agitator now though and I do like the room in my Maytag-I can wash a huge comforter in it.I'm not sure though that not having a center agitator is any gentler on clothes. I don't think it is though you can fit more in without it.

I've told my daughter about the grabber too which I have.

You'd have to be a giraffe to get her clothes out of hers!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I highly recommend Whirlpool Washer (Impeller) High Efficiency 4.3 cu ft, top-loading. I purchased from Lowes and I just checked their website and the price is $499. I also purchased 2 stainless steel hoses and their 5 yr warranty (after the 1 yr warranty) which is very inexpensive. Free shipping and removal of old washer.

I purchased this machine 3 yrs ago and never hed a problem. You could also open the lid to add more items - and add more water if u prefer.

Many GREAT REVIEWS for this washer on Lowes website.

I don't have washer/dryers repaired - cheaper to buy new!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Speed Queen top loader washer has changed, the 2018 model is no longer a good buy but if you find find a 2017 model go for it. The machine that's getting good reviews is Maytag Commercial MVWP575G, it's a top loader with agitator that's simple to use, has full or half tub water fills, made in USA with 10 & 5 yr warranties & it CLEANS but the tub is smaller than most at 3.5. My local appliance store highly recommends it & they sell Speed Queen too. Lots of awful washers to choose from so do your research...Good Luck.

Honored Contributor

I just priced a very basic washer and dryer at Home Depot, it was Amana, now made by Whirlpool, $398 for each, gas dryers are $100 more.