Honored Contributor

The new phones and IPads are great. I couldn't live w/o them. You'd think if I paid that much money for them, they'd text/type what I choose to say and not second guess me. I spend way too much time going back to delete a word my IPAD decided was BETTER choice. Mistakes in texted messages are usually sent before I catch mistakes & make me look illiterate. Thank God for spellcheck, too. At times I do miss my old typewriter...dating myself? There wasn't anything technical to learn, just where to find the letters. After some practice, I was off and flying w/ no training wheels. When I received my IPAD from my husband, he also purchased the "for dummies" book. After a year with this tiny handful of technology, I still have the book nearby and the APPLE store on speed dial. 

Respected Contributor

Re: MY PHONE SAYS WHAT IT WANTS

Can't you disable that "autofill" feature?

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

You can turn off auto correct.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

Absolutely. Takes a second.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

If you go into the "Settings" app, click on "General", then to the right you will see several choices.  Scroll down to see "Keyboard".  You are now given more choices.  Turn off "Auto- Correction".  There are several other things there that you may also wish to turn off.

Trusted Contributor

When I am texting on my phone, and my phone does not recognize the word I am typing (such as a name), it lists a few recommended spellings and a check mark.  If I click on the check mark, it will keep my spelling.  I hope this makes sense.

Honored Contributor

Auto fill? Mmmm. Wait I see another poster gave instructions how to solve the issue. Thanks, Ladies.

Honored Contributor

Thank you! Yes its not just me (or you!) So many times I have said -"This phone has a mind of its own!

I'm correcting the phone's interpretation of a few letters I type!

I do like how much faster it is to type but also you can't forward messages like a flip phone (which I had until recently).

And figuring it all out-yes I have called apple, gone to the actual store about 10 times to ask questions, have several website how tos bookmarked.

How can something like this not come with a manual>

And one more thing-whew! So many of the "options" on there, I have no idea what they mean. Then when I search the words, I still don't understand what they mean!

I think some techies designed this phone thinking the more thousands of options, the better as opposed to people (ok former dinosaurs like me! and moms and grandmoms!) just wanted a phone to catch up with some newer technology like facetime, and making a call to someone-what a concept!

The same way websites think the more moving around, the better!-No, that just means we can't read it without getting a headache or trying to quickly click on what we want before the screen moves again.

Oh technology, you have a long way to go to understand the needs of different people.

And the same with tv-the news and other (shopping channels and others!) do not need fast moving music in the background to go along with the fast talking host/newscaster!

Anyone listening out in tech land?!

And Its okay if no one reads this-I feel better!

Thanks too @Shanus!

Oh p.s.-to stop the "interpretations" on the phone, go to settings`general-keyboard and you will see several "auto- " options-you can trun off auto correct and  aut-predictive -i'm not sure what Character Pre... means and there is no explanation but I'm going to turn that off and see. You can always turn them back on.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

You can turn the autofill function off.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

autofill is different than autocorrect though. Autofill, fills in things like people from your contact list, your name and address and websites you've been to recently. Autocorrect changes the spelling of words that it assumes are spelled wrong. IOS learns over time which words you reguarly spell a certain way and stops trying to autocorrect them. For example it will learn that spiralize is a word once I type it enough times. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval