Honored Contributor

Re: MY OLDER MOM SCAMMED WITH FACE CREAM

@Jewel22 wrote:

I think companies try to continue sending their products even though you cancel hoping you will find it too much trouble to conceal again. I cancelled a very well known newspaper 2 weeks ago that I do not want delivered anymore. It is still being delivered. Now I have to call again, waste my time and tell them to stop. Of course I am not paying them anymore. Very annoying.

@Janey2

I had the same problem with Good Housekeeping magazine, I had gotten my aunt a gift subscription for Christmas, when my aunt passed away I had to go through hades and back trying to get them to cancel the subscription!!!  Yep, very annoying and she lived with her son and his famiy so I bet it was painful for them to see the magazine addressed to my aunt...I really had to get nasty and even sent them a copy of her orbit before they finally canceled!..

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

I've never ordered from an infomercial.  I know with some of the beauty lines seems they get you started with a kit at a lower price and then they continue to send you larger sizes at a higher price.    This includes brands that we have bought/can buy from QVC where that isn't an issue.     I also never give my information over the phone to charities that call etc.  Many of these charities use paid solicitors to make the calls and the charity gets only a very small percentage of the donations.  Also, I just don't give my information over the phone period.

@Daysdee

I concur....it blows my mind that these charities continue to call to try to collect donations....dont they realize people would be crazy to give a stranger their personal and credit card info over the phone.  Even ones that I have given to in the past I tell them that if I decide to make a donation I will either mail them a check using the address from the tax receipt they sent me, or go to their website to make an online donation---and I tell them....I dont give any info over the phone, in this day and age too many scammers and identity theft is a major concern...........

And the ones that are paid to call on behalf of the charities.....I read to ask the person how much of the donation do you receive....and they usually hang up!  I tried it and it worked............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I  have tried for several years to get women to understand that the face creams are fake and a scam.  It is not regulared by the FDA and they can put used motor oil in it if they want.  The cream may seem like its working and your skin might be softer but its temporary.  But in this youth crazed world no one wants to listen.  So I give up.  IMO its the TV stations fault for allowing such trash on their station.  But money talks.

@Imaoldhippie

You are right.

Nothing will get rid of wrinkles, with the possible exception of a face lift.

But women love to buy in the hype that all the lotions and potions, creams and serums will somehow make them look like they are 25 again.

I swear, women would put cow manure on their face if they thought that it would get rid of wrinkles and make them look younger.

@Plaid Pants2 @Imaoldhippie

Whats funny is our local news on one of those Consumer Segments did a story on the lotions, potions, creams, and serums and discussed the results of a comparison study that had been conducted.....the best results were from good ole Ponds face cream that can be purchased at a drug store for $6.....and the results were making your face feel soft and moisturized but none of the products really helped with wrinkles!!! LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@Spurt Words of wisdom. I think the experience scared her enough that she agreed never to order from tv infomercials that seem too good to be true and most importantly she'll call me before making any more unusual purchases. 😜

Honored Contributor

@Maudelyn. Here's the scam part: They asked her age along w/ other info. Knew they had a "mark"....89 yr. old woman wanting wrinkle cream. No where does it say that after the free trial size, every 3-4 wks. a larger, expensive jar will be directly billed to her. When I contacted them, they had the nerve to offer a discount to stay w/ the program and not cancel. It was impossible to get them to finally cancel her orders and email a confirmation letter that had a cancellation number to give to VISA. It's a SCAM in my book.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it is a real shame but what about women in the 40's, 50's 60's that are somewhat more alert and fall for the scam.  The anti-aging creams will not take away wrinkles will only firm your skin for a moment.  I refuse to waste my money on those creams.  You are better off drinking lots of water for good skin.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

has anyone tried lately to deal with Good Housekeeping OR Family Circle magazine subscriptions....NOW that's a true SCAM!!!!

My friend sent me 3 years ago as a Christmas gift a subscription which included both magazines.

Every week I get a BILL...next a Collection letter & finally a scare letter ---

I have sent them reply directly on the pink collection letter telling them "I didn't order NOR do I want these magazines". The magazine & the bills continue to come!!!!!!

I tried finding a phone # etc. no way to contact them. As of today, 4 months later got the bill, collection letter now threatening to report to credit bureaus, etc. but give me 10 days to remit.

I called local BBB told me to send certified letter but I could  keep magazines because they are being delivered unauthorized.

What your mother did (like thousands of others) saw the infomercial, ordered & did get the product of her own accord. Honestly, I think you are being harsh -- she can't control the bad p (predatory) practices the company! They could care less if the person ordering is 5 or 90. (Sad but true). Since you said she used VISA card I'm sure her cc card will investigate.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@reiki604 wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

This would be THE incident that would let me know it was time to take full control of my mother's finances.    

According to the OP, the mother takes care of her own checkbook and finances. Buying a face cream is not an indication of mental deterioration. How much makeup and creams do you have that was purchased to make you believe you would look better? Unless there are other indications of mental incompetence, being hopeful is something that shows that you still have it going on.

Absolutely!  I completely agree.

What this woman fell for is something that people of all ages fall for.  If she's taking care of her own checkbook and finances, it sounds as though she's doing pretty well.  Being taken in by an infomercial is simply a "buyer beware" situation.  It has nothing to do with being elderly, the company taking special advantage of her because of her age, or her mental abilities failing.  It would be different if this was was an ongoing problem.

And I applaud her desire to use Lancome lifting cream!  Why shouldn't she?  And why should she not be on the lookout for other things that make her feel and look good?  She's still living her life, and that's very, very positive.  I don't believe there's a certain age when we should stop wearing makeup, styling our hair, and using beauty products simply because others might decide that it's useless or that we're too old.  As long as we want to do so, we should!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Maudelyn. Here's the scam part: They asked her age along w/ other info. Knew they had a "mark"....89 yr. old woman wanting wrinkle cream. No where does it say that after the free trial size, every 3-4 wks. a larger, expensive jar will be directly billed to her. When I contacted them, they had the nerve to offer a discount to stay w/ the program and not cancel. It was impossible to get them to finally cancel her orders and email a confirmation letter that had a cancellation number to give to VISA. It's a SCAM in my book.

Are you suggesting that a younger woman would have received the free trial size, and that would have been the end of it?  I doubt that very much.

More likely, everyone - regardless of age - was automatically signed up for the program and would have been billed exactly the same way.  These companies don't care how old customers are.  It's all just dollars to them.  Every woman calling in, no matter her age, is a "mark".

Honored Contributor

@Spurt I have used Ponds for years.  Their makeup remover works well and is inexpensive, and their daily moisturizer too.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)