QVC Customer Care

Re: MY OLDER MOM SCAMMED WITH FACE CREAM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge wrote:
No scam here.
Your mom is the one who made the call, placed an order, and gave all the info needed to fulfill the order.

There are many, MANY providers of goods and services that make it rather difficult for the customer to terminate the relationship.
Some are well known, like Guthy-Renker (sp?) , and businesses promoted by AARP.
For example, a VERY frequent complaint registered w the Consumer Affairs office is 'Consumer Cellular' phone service customers continue to be billed for months after notice to quit!

This aspect of the transaction is scam-like. They reel you in,  claimning you can cancel at any time. And then make it impossible.

In the final months of his life, my Dad almost got reeled in with Alex Trebek's life insurance commercials! I can only imagine what they would charge an 86 yr old who was on dialysis 4x/week. Thankfully I was already handling his finances at that point.

Respected Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:
No scam here.
Your mom is the one who made the call, placed an order, and gave all the info needed to fulfill the order.

There are many, MANY providers of goods and services that make it rather difficult for the customer to terminate the relationship.
Some are well known, like Guthy-Renker (sp?) , and businesses promoted by AARP.
For example, a VERY frequent complaint registered w the Consumer Affairs office is 'Consumer Cellular' phone service customers continue to be billed for months after notice to quit!

This aspect of the tranaction is scam-like. They reel you in,  clamining you can cancel at any time. And then make it impossible.

In the final months of his life, my Dad almost got reeled in with Alex Trebek's life insurance commercials! I can only imagine what they would charge an 86 yr old who was on dialysis 4x/week. Thankfully I was already handling his finances at that point.

So does the Q, so does Evine, so does HSN...this is not just infommercials. 

They all push their wares of thinner bodies, vitamins, potions, hair cleanser etc,

Honored Contributor

Nothing whatever to do with age, or any sort of "elder abuse" (seriously?).

The only "scam" is the deceitful business practices many online/TV infomercial companies use. The info on these companies is out there, including the BBB ratings. It is Buyer Beware - and not the company's responsibility if the buyer doesn't beware. Nor can the company know who is legal to buy (adult) or who is/is not compos mentis.

If it's a "scam" based solely on the idea that no cream can perform what they claim, then any and every cosmetic and cream sold anywhere is a scam, including anything QVC sells.

If it looks too good to be true, it is. 

The only practical solution in this instance is to take away the impulse buying ability for anything, period, or giving mom a pre-loaded, refillable card with a set amount she can spend (limited by the $$ on the card) without asking first.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter If you don't think it is a scam you should order something and try to cancel....anyone I know has had problems.These companies put you on auro ship for a reason.

Respected Contributor

For those who think facial creams don't work just read the Perricone threads. I use Dr Denese and with daily use it does diminish my fine lines but when I stop using it back they appear. Same thing with Perricone.  Nothing is permanent except surgery but different products do produce results in different women with continued use...one must find what works for them. I ordered Beverly Hills, MD online and knew exactly what I was getting into making sure I had their customer service number.  I found their product to be no better than Dr Denese and so I cancelled and yes they put me on automatic auto delivery as they all do.  I had no problems with stopping it....their persistent phone calls was another thing....eventually that stopped too when I made it clear i did not want to order again so please stop calling me, they did.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@CelticCrafter If you don't think it is a scam you should order something and try to cancel....anyone I know has had problems.These companies put you on auro ship for a reason.

The person enjoys using it and feels that it is something THEY want....how is that a scam?

This is yet another way to diminish a mother who is minding her own business. She didn't ask for help now did she?

Who is she hurting?

Honored Contributor

This would be THE incident that would let me know it was time to take full control of my mother's finances.    

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Shanus I wouldn't fault an old woman .These businesses prey on the old,the lonely, & the sick.You absolutely did the right thing.Try asking your mom to run this stuff by you before she signs on in the future.

I would also report the business to the BBB.I'm sure your mom wasn't their first victim. These places in general tend to not allow people to cancel.They have more success doing this to the elderly because they usually don't have the patience or the energy to fight them to conclusion.Luckily,your mom has you looking out for her!

@NicksmomESQ  Report them for what and to whom?  It's not illegal to sell face cream to the gullible.  QVC does it just about every day.  Most of the ads have downright lies and make outrageous claims but it's hard to prove. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I had a friend who ordered not a product like this but another type of product that takes money out each month. She ended up calling the bank and having any payments to this company blocked each month. That is the only way to do it sometimes. If if is a credit card I would have her call the CC company (with you there) and do the same. Even better have another card issued altogether. Let her know that anytime you order anything from TV this is likely to happy.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK