Esteemed Contributor

Re: MY OLDER MOM SCAMMED WITH FACE CREAM

Same sort of thing to my husband - he accepted a Free Credit Report thinking it was a one-time thing.  When he could no longer handle his checkbook - I saw monthly charges of $20.  It took a fight - but I got it stopped.

Honored Contributor

@mima I've never made a big deal about Lancôme even though it does seem pointless to me to spend $100 a jar for lifting cream, but kept quiet on that one. She's very vane & the only women in this facility w/ turquoise eye shadow, bright pink cheeks and red lipstick. 

The scam w/ the cream has been canceled, VISA notified and I did report them to BBB yesterday as I told their representative.

I have never faulted her for caring for her skin or going to get her hair done twice a week or mani/pedis. Luckily, my Dad owned a large company, invested well and money will never be an issue for her. I have only shown an objection to the "Baby Jane" makeup. I took her to Lancôme counter for makeover and w/o all the pancake foundation and bright makeup, she did look so much younger. I saw her 3 wks. later & back to old look. Gave up on that.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio. Great idea! I do have a card to her Visa acct. so I can shop for her. That also can allow me to keep tabs on her spending on future "scams", etc. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus Bless her heart!  I'm glad she still "fixes" up even if it is extreme.  It makes her feel better about herself.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy. There was an article accompanying the website calling it a scam. That's how I was able to get a phone to cancel the order. 

The article warned people "If the promises of the product seem too good to be true, beware" They also said the words Trial Size is a tip off of a monthly unwanted contract.

Trusted Contributor

Call the credit card company and mention elder abuse.  It's not nice to take advantage of old people. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter According to BBB and VISA, they've received many complaints about the company and are already investigating.

Honored Contributor

I've never ordered from an infomercial.  I know with some of the beauty lines seems they get you started with a kit at a lower price and then they continue to send you larger sizes at a higher price.    This includes brands that we have bought/can buy from QVC where that isn't an issue.     I also never give my information over the phone to charities that call etc.  Many of these charities use paid solicitors to make the calls and the charity gets only a very small percentage of the donations.  Also, I just don't give my information over the phone period.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

Same sort of thing to my husband - he accepted a Free Credit Report thinking it was a one-time thing.  When he could no longer handle his checkbook - I saw monthly charges of $20.  It took a fight - but I got it stopped.

This is free.  From a newspaper I cut out long time ago.

"Check your credit reports from Experian, Equifax and TransUnion every yr. for free at Annualcreditreport.com. You can access all three at once or space them out, says Laura Adams, senior insurance analyst for insurance quotes.com

"What I recommend is you get one of the reports every four months.

That way you keep a better eye on your credit throughout the year for free".

@fthunt

Respected Contributor

sounds like you may be dealing with Guthy-Renker. Good luck.