Esteemed Contributor

Re: MY HUSBAND "SHOT" A DEER TODAY :O

@q-girl  I think you do a great job expressing yourself.  I have enjoyed this dialogue with everyone here very much!  Who knew that a picture could start such a conversation?? Smiley Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@q-girl❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Tends2dogs wrote:

@q-girl  I think you do a great job expressing yourself.  I have enjoyed this dialogue with everyone here very much!  Who knew that a picture could start such a conversation?? Smiley Happy

Intriguing, thought-provoking thread, @tends2dogs.   And beautifully enhanced by all the lovely images everyone has posted.   Thank you!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have lived my entire life on part of my grandparents 200 acre farm in southern WV.   This land was already a working farm prior to 1863 when WV became a state, and was owned by one family before my Grandpa bought it around 1940.   

As a child, we might catch sight of deer in the orchard when apples were on the ground, or see them running across the fields during rut, but it was a rare sight indeed to see a buck, doe, or fawns out in the open.   My dad and his brothers had to walk deep into our woods to hunt deer during season.   By the late 60's, my dad was going to a neighboring county to deer hunt, because he wasn't seeing any sign of deer on our property!  

By 1977, we began to see more deer on a regular basis.   The first sighting on my parents property was a lone buck, soon followed by a doe and twin fawns.   From there we have escalated to the over population problems we have now.   For years now, my county has been rated as having one of the highest deer populations in the state.   According to our local DNR officer, even my neighborhood has a very high deer population.   I see deer on this property every day, and it is no longer a novelty.   The deer population is so high, they don't stay in the deep woods anymore; they come in closer and closer to homes, looking for food---in our case it started with a group of 6, that is now down to 4--all females.   We run them off the property every day.  

Bow season in WV is about 2 months long; gun season (bucks only) lasts 2 weeks.   Every few years the state decides it's time to thin the doe population, and allows our hunters to buy a doe stamp.   Statewide, hunting season takes out anywhere from 46,000 to 55,000 deer yearly, and that doesn't even make a dent in the deer population of this state!   We are totally overrun with these pests, and part of the solution is to sell a special doe stamp yearly, to allow hunters to take down more females during gun season.   

Valued Contributor

Re: MY HUSBAND SHOT A DEER TODAY :O

@RedTop-I'm with you, 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  IMO, humans are the bigges pests of them all.  We took away from animals and still do, not the other way around.  I could go on a rant but I won't and I love the things that you said in response to that comment that was made.  You go!

"I never changed, I just learned."
Valued Contributor

Thank you!

Valued Contributor

You are blessed and I'm sure he is too~~~

Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful picture. I hate guns and I am against shooting any animal or human being. I worked with a women who was bragging about her daughter shooting a deer with a crossbow. The daughter is only 13. I was sick to my stomach. The women must have saw the look of disgust on my face and replied " Well we eat the whole deer". Like that makes it better. We both live in NJ and crossbows are allowed here. After hearing this horror I went around my neighborhood and got over 150 signatures and took them to my congressman he said continue to get more  and with the help of family and friends we got more... many more then we thought we could get. Congress is working to get rid of crossbow hunting in the state of NJ . Due to the pain the animal goes though when shot with these crossbows. Thank Goodness for that.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I totally disagree with your comments but I will respect them nonetheless.  I will not rant about why I disagree, I will just summarize with this statement.  I don't feel that murdering an innocent, defenseless creature, stealing their life and possibly them away from their families, is respectful in any way......

Respected Contributor

while i was reading the title all i could think off is the movie my cousin vinny. if any of you saw the movie you will know what part of movie im talking about.  awesome deer pics.a couple days near us driving a big deer crossed in front of us then a baby deer to.