Honored Contributor

Re: MRI and hearing loss

[ Edited ]

'The squeaky wheel gets the earplugs'............and almost everything else.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I have had at least 20 MRI's, probably more, and they have not effected my hearing. Heard a lot of stories from those that have had an MRI, many by those that exaggerate a bit.

Never heard a 1 of them say anything about losing their hearing. I personally don't see the connection to an MRI and hearing loss. Years back earphones were not a choice as they were nonexistant.

Many of the MRI's i've had were of my neck/back, thus my whole body was in the chamber. A few of them were the longer ones and my only issues were my back a liitle stiff when standing back up.

I would wait a couple days and if it still seems like a problem? See your PCP and get checked out.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I have had many MRIs through the years due to chronic back issues and additional orthopedic problems.   I was always given ear plugs without asking and listened to music of my choice.  I had sensitive and acute hearing before the MRI and still do.  Hearing loss is not a common occurrence after an MRI.  

Occasional Contributor

Thanks! I hope so to. My left ear is not as painful as yesterday, but the hearing is the sameSmiley Sad  

Occasional Contributor

Yes, if you need an MRI, my ENT said to wear good ear plugs that can block up to 30Db in combination with the headphones.

You can also ask the MRI center if they have the new, quieter machines. You can also ask them to give you a printout of the sequences you are having, how long each one is and how loud each DB will be. 

The imaging place I went to suggested looking at the site called MRIsaftey.com. This site does explain acoustic damage that can be caused from an MRI.

Occasional Contributor

Exactly! The technician told me that I was not allowed to wear the muffs for the cervical because they would get in the way of the pictures!

So I was given those disposable foam ear plugs. The website MRIsaftey.com explains how MRI can cause acoustic damage. I have had other MRIs before and that has never happened. I just cannot believe how loud the machines are!! I called GE and got the Db info on my tests. 

Occasional Contributor

Hi. Well, I went to an ENT and he did confirm hearing loss due to acoustic trauma. I had a few MRIs done about 15-20 years ago and I did not wear ear protection. I found out that the machines/magnet strengths are much, much stronger so the tests can be shorter. The Db from an MRI are much higher that blasting music in headphones. The GE website and MRI safety websites do say the you can have temporary or permanent hearing loss from MRI. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

I have had at least 20 MRI's, probably more, and they have not effected my hearing. Heard a lot of stories from those that have had an MRI, many by those that exaggerate a bit.

Never heard a 1 of them say anything about losing their hearing. I personally don't see the connection to an MRI and hearing loss. Years back earphones were not a choice as they were nonexistant.

Many of the MRI's i've had were of my neck/back, thus my whole body was in the chamber. A few of them were the longer ones and my only issues were my back a liitle stiff when standing back up.

I would wait a couple days and if it still seems like a problem? See your PCP and get checked out.

Hi John,

My issue was relevant to a dinosaur of an MRI unit that sounded like an engine throwing its rods next to my ears.  I've had many MRIs, but knew instantly that something was not right with this machine.  Had I known the decibel level would be such as to cause hearing loss in my left ear, I would have pushed the panic button.  I partly blame myself.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Rebecca!

I cannot believe you had the same hearing loss!!

It is awful.

I thought my machine seemed really loud as well, but 

who would have known that it can cause hearing loss!

When did you have this happen? Did any of your hearing return?

Do you have any ringing in your ears in addition?

Thanks!!

Jo

Esteemed Contributor

@jo555 wrote:

Hi Rebecca!

I cannot believe you had the same hearing loss!!

It is awful.

I thought my machine seemed really loud as well, but 

who would have known that it can cause hearing loss!

When did you have this happen? Did any of your hearing return?

Do you have any ringing in your ears in addition?

Thanks!!

Jo

Hi Jo,

My MRI occurred about 3 months ago.  The loss of hearing remains the same.  My ENT is going to have me retun in 6 months for another hearing test.  And, yes, I do have ringing in that ear.

As I said previously, the machine I was placed in is a bad one - ancient - old - and needs to be replaced.  There's a general philosophy we've noted after living in Oregon for 2 years and that is that not much $$ is spent on replacing and repairing, be it in the public or private sector.  (I have to go to my nephrologist on Monday and that office is "falling apart."  I do believe that they haven't done a thing in that practice in 30 years to upgrade anything. It's so gross and ugly, but the docs are good.  Go figure.)