Esteemed Contributor

I had an MRI yesterday for my neck and I now have partial hearing in one of my ears. Has anyone else had this experience? I called the MRI dept and spoke to the supervisor and of course he said, gee, no one ever told me this before and suggested I talk to my family Dr. They aren't open yet for me to call. I would appreciate anyone's experience w/this.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I was wondering what happened with your hearing loss.  I had an MRI of the cervical spine and MRI of the brain yesterday as well.  I felt like I could not hear well and by the end of the day, I noticed that the hearing in my left ear was deminished.  I did some research and there is info that MRI can cause damage to the ears.  So, I went to my ENT today and he did confirm that I have aucoustic trauma from the MRI!!  I am so upset.  Can you tell me how you feel now or if you were given any meds, etc.  I was not given meds, just told that it may be permanent.  I did wear plugs for the cervical MRI and I did wear the ear muffs for the brain MRI.  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

This happened to me after an MRI of the same region.  I've had MRIs of my cervical spine and brain previously, so am familiar with the noise level.  The noise level in this particular unit was horrendous and I told the tech so when it was done.  I could not wait for the study to end!

I noticed a marked decrease in hearing in my left ear immediately.  Why not my right ear as well, I don't know.  My internist referred me to an ENT whose audiologist tested my hearing and sure enough I have a marked deficit in my left ear that wasn't there before I had that darn MRI,based on a previous hearing test 4 years ago.   I am furious!

The only thing I can do is NOT have an MRI at that facility ever again, as the microscopic nerve ends that were destroyed will never grow back.  The damage is permanent.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for the warnings.  As music is preeminently important to me, I need to research this.

Respected Contributor

Re: MRI and hearing loss

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for this information.  I have never had an MRI but I will make sure my ears are protected if I ever need one.

This article talks about MRI hearing loss:

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/crira/2013/510258/

Title: Sensorineural Hearing Loss after Magnetic Resonance Imaging

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is very scary information!

I have had hearing loss in my left ear for many years.  I wasn't really even aware of it for a long time.  My family kept complaining that I listened to music and the television too loud, but I still didn't connect the dots until I started having trouble understanding every word people were speaking. I had a hearing test and sure enough, I have a definite decrease in my hearing.

I had a brain MRI many, many years ago, and an MRI of my back several years later, but I don't know if those could have been the cause.  My ENT doctor believes that typical age related hearing loss usually affects both ears, and since my hearing loss is only in my left ear, he has no explanation.  

The thought of losing my hearing in my other ear terrifies me. After reading this, I don't know if I would ever have another MRI again.

Thank you for posting about this very important subject.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

double post.

Esteemed Contributor

I had an MRI about three years ago.  I didn't suffer any hearing loss but I could definitely see how it might happen.

I had never had one before and had no idea what to expect other than I knew I couldn't move and it could possibly be claustrophobic.  I wish the technicians would have explained the process because for the first few minutes I thought I was in a war zone or the machine had fried and was blowing up.  It was scary.

I hope your hearing loss is only temporary.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I have had numerous MRI's due to a small brain tumor.  I started getting them in 2005.  The last few years they have "upped it" to every 5 yrs. because there has been no significant growth.  I do have my 5 yr. coming up in 2016.  The only after effect I have ever had is blurred vision for 10-15 minutes afterwards.  I am glad you mentioned the hearing loss problem so I can wear earplugs the next time!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

After having stated what I did yesterday about my post-MRI hearing loss, I'd like to add a few things.

The MRI unit into which I was placed was a dinosaur, I later learned.  Hereafter, I will always ask how old the unit is and if I'm not pleased with the answer or they won't give me one, I'll simply leave.  I just can't afford to lose any more hearing in my left ear, it's that marked.

The next time I have an MRI of any kind I'm bringing my silicone earplugs.  These are far superior to those flimsy foam things that don't do anything for me at all.  Noise-reducing headphones can also be used, along with the silicone earplug.

Note:  Most MRI units are loud, but not loud enough to create hearing loss.  It's important to remember that, as the discussion here may have frightened some folks from having a very necessary diagnostic MRI study.

I'm glad this came up for discussion.  Thank you!