Respected Contributor

Re: MOSQUITOS, GNATS & OTHER BITING BUGS

I'm a stinging/biting-type bug magnet, and I'm really allergic; I swell up like a balloon. I mentioned this to my doctor and she advised me to not wear any kind of scent outdoors. I tried it and it worked.

Respected Contributor

drizzellla 

The Amish have a great reputation for excellent workmanship.

that is, when they aren't being back yard breeders.

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@LuvSoCal wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  Oh my gosh, what a timely post. I have been eaten alive the last three summers (mostly my ankles and feet). I have been close to tears at times because the itching is almost unbearable.  I go through Benadryl cream like it's going out of style. My dermatologist told me she was 99.9% sure the welts were the result of bug bites. The results of a biopsy came back as non-specific.

I've heard that mosquitoes have gotten vicious but I never realized that gnats bite, too. I've read that mosquitoes avoid the scent of garlic, and, apparently, there are sprays that discourage them. I'll be very interested to learn of any solutions, as well. May I ask what area of the country do you live in?

@LuvSoCal 

I'm in the Greater Los Angeles area ....  and have been taking garlic capsules for the last 3 months, thinking I had the mosquito thing handled.  I was so smug that I had the problem beaten!   

That was last week. 

This week, I've had umpteen bug bites from literally invisible bugs.  These bites aren't like mosquito bites ... they are large, inflamed welts that hurt more than itch.  Went over and talked to my pharmacist and also googled "pics of gnat bites on humans".  The pictures clinched it.

So ... while Benadryl cream is helpful, if I am at home I use a paste of baking soda & water, which really soothes the bite.  Problem is, there's little hunks of baking soda falling off my legs and looks silly, but is oh so soothing.  

OH ... one more tips that I haven't tried .... supposedly rubbing dryer sheets on bare arms & legs helps, or you can stuff a couple in your pockets, and is supposed to help.   This is a situation where you keep trying everything ... until something helps.  

BTW .... Walmart has a generic of the Extra Strength Benedryl cream ... it's $3.00 a tube.  Woman Happy

Based on your nickname, I have to ask .....  do you live in SoCal?  

@Tinkrbl44 I am down south in SD. I always thought that mosquitoes and other bugs were an east coast and southern thing, but I've learned otherwise.

Yes, the welts are big, red and itch until they burn. They are driving me crazy. They last a few days and then I get new ones.  I'm not luv'n socal so much right now. So, you think they are gnat bites?

My SO just ordered an inside bug zapper. I hope it provides some relief.

Honored Contributor

There’s also a smaller mosquito that has become pervasive in SoCA in recent years. Tends to focus on ankles and arms. Bites during the DAY. The Aedes mosquitoes. It gives me a totally different type of welt.

Trusted Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
There’s also a smaller mosquito that has become pervasive in SoCA in recent years. Tends to focus on ankles and arms. Bites during the DAY. The Aedes mosquitoes. It gives me a totally different type of welt.

@bikerbabe Yes, that's were they attack me.  I get a few on my arms but mostly around the ankles and tops of feet. I found a small mosquito in the house the other day. I'm not sure how they're getting in.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:

@bikerbabe 

Oh good grief .... thanks for the heads-up.

Seriously, of all the various species of life that are now endangered, why can't MOSQUITOS be an endangered species?  They seem to be gaining on us!   LOL

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 @I guess so if you are somewhere that you can have access to electricity and want a fan blowing on you constantly.

As for me...I'll always take the easier way

That would be the bug thingy.  I have to use extension cords; but that works too.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 @I guess so if you are somewhere that you can have access to electricity and want a fan blowing on you constantly.

That would be the bug thingy.  I have to use extension cords; but that works too.

@Annabellethecat66 

Heck, I'm looking at ALL possible solutions .... so what is the brand name of your "bug thingy"?    I'm interested.

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 

Heck, I'm looking at ALL possible solutions .... so what is the brand name of your "bug thingy"?    I'm interested.

@Tinkrbl44  Annabelle is probably referring to the ones QVC sells (Dyno Trap?). You can ge hem elsewhere like Home Depot. We have 3 of them in the backyard and hear them zapping especially at night. They do work but obviously they aren't getting them all.

Honored Contributor

Those electric bug killers don't discriminate between mosquitos and endangered bees and other beneficial insects. Instead, why not invest in the repellent lotion and sprays. You can spray your clothes if you don't want to apply it to your body.. There's one the military uses, but I can't think what it's called.