Respected Contributor

Re: MOSQUITOS, GNATS & OTHER BITING BUGS

@drizzellla 

Years ago we did the citronella thing when we tried to have dinner out on the patio. Didn't work out.

A few years ago while visiting the Amish area in Lancaster, PA, we fell in love with the screened in double- facing swing.  It had small table tops built into the corners.  DH cut wood so we could slide it over the swing arms.  Now we can eat in peace at night and have morning coffee free from bees and other insects.

We cover it with a tarp wrapped around the sides. MIT is hung under the wrap around roof edge.

Kind of expensive for keeping bugs out but it is very relaxing anytime of the day or night !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@drizzellla 

Years ago we did the citronella thing when we tried to have dinner out on the patio. Didn't work out.

A few years ago while visiting the Amish area in Lancaster, PA, we fell in love with the screened in double- facing swing.  It had small table tops built into the corners.  DH cut wood so we could slide it over the swing arms.  Now we can eat in peace at night and have morning coffee free from bees and other insects.

We cover it with a tarp wrapped around the sides. MIT is hung under the wrap around roof edge.

Kind of expensive for keeping bugs out but it is very relaxing anytime of the day or night !

The table and 4 benches were built by the Amish. And we also have a swing in the front. Guess we will have to go and check out other items. I did not pick out any of the furniture my husband bought. He dealt with an Amish guy at work and ordered a number of things from him.

We will have to see what he has.

Last weekend was my husband's family reunion. His cousin who hosts the reunions every year had an Amish guy put an addition on his house. He also had his kitchen expanded, dining room expanded, additional bathroom added and another entrance to the house. I sat and could not believe what an impressive job was done. And the cousin was saying the guy made suggestions that really worked out well. The Amish guy thought of things that made the additions flow that the cousin never thought of. Wish he lived closer I was ready to hire him.

Respected Contributor

Something bit me on the upper chest (can't spell decollete or whatever) a couple weeks ago and it's still a red, itchy welt.  Maybe one of the no=see-ums.  

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@drizzellla 

@jlkz 

A while back I was researching the "bug" thing and I believe it was either Consumers Repts or HGTV that also said citronella doesn't work.  

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Oh my gosh, what a timely post. I have been eaten alive the last three summers (mostly my ankles and feet). I have been close to tears at times because the itching is almost unbearable.  I go through Benadryl cream like it's going out of style. My dermatologist told me she was 99.9% sure the welts were the result of bug bites. The results of a biopsy came back as non-specific.

I've heard that mosquitoes have gotten vicious but I never realized that gnats bite, too. I've read that mosquitoes avoid the scent of garlic, and, apparently, there are sprays that discourage them. I'll be very interested to learn of any solutions, as well. May I ask what area of the country do you live in?

Honored Contributor

@LuvSoCal wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  Oh my gosh, what a timely post. I have been eaten alive the last three summers (mostly my ankles and feet). I have been close to tears at times because the itching is almost unbearable.  I go through Benadryl cream like it's going out of style. My dermatologist told me she was 99.9% sure the welts were the result of bug bites. The results of a biopsy came back as non-specific.

I've heard that mosquitoes have gotten vicious but I never realized that gnats bite, too. I've read that mosquitoes avoid the scent of garlic, and, apparently, there are sprays that discourage them. I'll be very interested to learn of any solutions, as well. May I ask what area of the country do you live in?

@LuvSoCal 

I'm in the Greater Los Angeles area ....  and have been taking garlic capsules for the last 3 months, thinking I had the mosquito thing handled.  I was so smug that I had the problem beaten!   

That was last week. 

This week, I've had umpteen bug bites from literally invisible bugs.  These bites aren't like mosquito bites ... they are large, inflamed welts that hurt more than itch.  Went over and talked to my pharmacist and also googled "pics of gnat bites on humans".  The pictures clinched it.

So ... while Benadryl cream is helpful, if I am at home I use a paste of baking soda & water, which really soothes the bite.  Problem is, there's little hunks of baking soda falling off my legs and looks silly, but is oh so soothing.  

OH ... one more tips that I haven't tried .... supposedly rubbing dryer sheets on bare arms & legs helps, or you can stuff a couple in your pockets, and is supposed to help.   This is a situation where you keep trying everything ... until something helps.  

BTW .... Walmart has a generic of the Extra Strength Benedryl cream ... it's $3.00 a tube.  Woman Happy

Based on your nickname, I have to ask .....  do you live in SoCal?  

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla 

The Amish have a great reputation for excellent workmanship.  Not surprised at the quality of the work you described.  A very nit-picky former acquaintance of mine simply raved about the interior construction, speed and daily cleanup by the two contractors she hired.

I would recommend getting brochures or online pictures of the pieces available.  You will get more than you pay for, quality-wise.

Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue 

Your spelling is correct...in French there are 2 accent marks over the first and last " e's ".  Might be easier to use décolletage.

My concern:  please see your PCP about the weeks-old itchy welt.  If it's lime disease, it needs medication.

Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue 

Your spelling is correct...in French there are 2 accent marks over the first and last " e's ".  Might be easier to use décolletage.

My concern:  please see your PCP about the weeks-old itchy welt.  If it's lime disease, it needs medication.

Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Another DIY bite soother, make a paste of powdered meat tenderizer and water, then rub it on your bite. Voila. No itch or pain.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield