Honored Contributor

umvmd7y4BgkdYsrRSd9DDC-970-80.jpg

History-making first man on the moon, the late Neil Armstrong would be 89 today.

I like this Space.com candid photo of him celebrating his birthday, 50 years ago, in quarantine, right after returning from the moon!  The astronauts had to remain in quarantine for 3 weeks after their return, birthdays or no birthdays.  But looks like he still had fun.

Brave, talented, fascinating guy!

NASA-Moon-landing-Neil-Armstrong-one-small-step-Apollo-11-nasa-news-1134700.jpg 

Honored Contributor

Re: MOON-MAN'S BIRTHDAY TODAY

A hero who will forever be in my heart.

Trusted Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

A hero who will forever be in my heart.

God Bless the U.S.A.  
U.S.A.!  U.S.A.!  U.S.A.! 🇺🇸

Stay safe. Stay home.”

Honored Contributor

Other fun facts reported by National Geographic:

Over half a billion people around the globe, watched the moon landing.

The famous quote by Neil Armstrong on the momentous event in which he participated:

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

Few people who were alive at that time will forget those words.  It is hoped that history teachers will continue to impress them upon their students.

Won the Presidential Medal of Freedom, among many other first-rank awards.  Unlike many who shoot to stratospheric (literally!) fame, the nonstop media attention disturbed him, made him uneasy.  He wanted a quiet, private life as a teacher of engineering, and he got it.  Born 5 August, 1930 in Wapakoneta, Ohio, and died 25 August, 2012.

Respected Contributor

Happy birthday,  LTJG Neil Armstrong!

Honored Contributor

Buzz Aldrin tried to maneuver to be the first one to walk on the moon, I once read, but the private and laconic Neil Armstrong was selected as the better choice.

We've learned much about the personality of Aldrin through the decades, and as his life has unspooled, I think we can ascertain why he wasn't selected to be the one who would be the mouthpiece and focal point for that momentous first step on the moon. 

Armstrong's serious and sober nature was better-suited for the role of First Man on the Moon.