Esteemed Contributor

Re: MODERNA VACCINE ANNOUNCEMENT

The more, the merrier!   Isn't this the 3rd or 4th vaccine in the works?   I'm excited!  Gives me hope!   But won't believe it's true until I'm standing in line to get a shot.   Or I've got the shot.  There's a long, complicated road ahead.

I'm patient.  I can wait.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

NO, just now heard GMA say it doesn't need sub zero temps to be viable.

Think we're rounding the corner, people !  I'm hopeful !   Debbie downers go away with your dire forecasts, shortages and hoarding. Find something else to dwell on and bring YOURSELF down .

dancing-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif

@SharkE, your posts are always colorful!

Honored Contributor

I'll take any good news I can get and give praise ! Let's get back to normal in this country.  Tired of living under a dark cloud and watching the news for the next dark cloud. I feel hopeful !

I can , one day and hopefully soon go get a hair cut without wearing a freaking mask that I can't breathe thru. Not entering the walmart without a mask, my church which is slowing dying from non attendance can get back together.  Kids can go back to school, no more shortages bought on by panic.

Pray for a new day , folks, let it be soon !

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will be thrilled to see a vaccine in our future but I hope the concerns of those who have lost loved ones and suffered long term health consequences among many other things are not trivialized or judged. Would we tell someone who lost a child in war to be cheerful, get over it or imply they are neurotic or enjoying their grief?

I am happy for those who remain untouched by this once in a hundred year pandemic but I hope we can all bring compassion to the quarter million Americans who have died, their loved ones and the healthcare workers who continue to risk their lives to hold the line.

Honored Contributor

@Ruby Laine wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

NO, just now heard GMA say it doesn't need sub zero temps to be viable.

Think we're rounding the corner, people !  I'm hopeful !   Debbie downers go away with your dire forecasts, shortages and hoarding. Find something else to dwell on and bring YOURSELF down .

dancing-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif

@SharkE, your posts are always colorful!

no debbie downer, here , my friend.  I come from a different place, though, then most.   When life gives you lemons , make lemonade.

Esteemed Contributor

I am both optimistic and realistic.

I am optimistic that in 365 days, this virus will be in our rear view mirror but realistic enough to know that it isn't going to go away tomorrow.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

From a news source:

"Pfizer and Moderna each announced the findings in news releases, not in peer-reviewed scientific journals, and the companies have not yet disclosed the detailed data that would allow outside experts to evaluate their claims. Therefore, the results cannot be considered conclusive. The studies are continuing, and the figures on effectiveness may change."

It's good news, but everything depends on the data holding up under expert scrutiny. This same source said that 10 other firms, besides Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna, are in stage III trials, and that over 50 others are in earlier stages of testing. Every day that goes by means more data on effectiveness. But it would be smart also to remember that in the decade it's existed, Moderna has never brought a product to market. If it pulls this off, it'll be the pharma coup of the century.

Valued Contributor

@SharkE, I only open covid posts with a title that sounds upbeat, although many times they spiral south. I'm a happy, (fairly) well-adjusted person. There's always something to be thankful for. Call me Pollyanna, I've been called worse!

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

Have they announced long term safety?

Not unless they have a crystal ball or a Magic 8 ball.

Exactly...Long term safety not yet established. Nor is effectiveness as to one or two injections. My sister in law works at NIH in research. While this is great news, there are many hurdles yet. For the average person looking to get vaccinated, those without major health issues, we may be looking at late summer to start general pop...of course barring any adverse effects from those already initially vaccinated, be it in trials or first round of public release.  

Honored Contributor

Yep @Ruby Laine   ANYTHING that brings us closer to being rid of this nightmare has my vote. In fact we bought stock in Pfizer. I'll let others try to find the darkness.

We're a lot better  off then we were back in Feb. Sun,will be up sooner then later. The downers can wait till the  next catastrophe. LOL