Honored Contributor

Re: MN Amazon Warehouse Spike in Covid-19 Cases

@suzyQ3 

Thank you for the reminder....sometimes I 'forget'.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

This was on the news last night, so it is current.

@KingstonsMom  and others, may I suggest ignoring those who try to get threads deleted because it has become "argumentive."

Ok, you saw it on the news, perhaps you can explain how a spike at this warehouse in late April - early May is relevant to shipping delays now. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

Recirculated Air/AC    ........ And the may be, could be, should be continues.

@Sheila P-Burg 

Oh "good" another theory by the experts.....lets just throw it up at a dart board and see if it sticks....when can we actually get some REAL FACTS from these people!?!?!? Woman Frustrated

I'm in Texas and WON'T give up my A/C!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@KingstonsMom  and others, may I suggest ignoring those who try to get threads deleted because it has become "argumentive."

Ok, you saw it on the news, perhaps you can explain how a spike at this warehouse in late April - early May is relevant to shipping delays now. 

@CrazyDaisy All I will do is post the article, dated today:

Kyle Brown
Updated: June 24, 2020 10:36 AM
Created: June 24, 2020 09:48 AM

At least 187 employees at Amazon facilities in Minnesota have tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH).

The biggest outbreak so far has been at the online retailer's fulfillment center in Shakopee, where at least 88 employees have tested positive for the virus so far.

Other outbreaks have been reported at facilities in Eagan (22 cases), Brooklyn Park (14 cases) and Maple Grove (5 cases). Another 58 COVID-19 patients reported working for Amazon but did not specify the facility where they work.

According to MDH, the highest concentration of positive cases at the Shakopee facility occurred from April 24 to May 20 and have been more spread out into June.

The outbreaks in Eagan and Brooklyn Park also follow a clustering trend, MDH said. The Eagan distribution center has only had one confirmed case in June, and the majority of the cases in Brooklyn Park were detected in the first two weeks of May.

MDH said that while these employees work at Amazon distribution centers, it does not necessarily mean they contracted the virus through contact with their coworkers.

Amazon spokeswoman Jen Crowcroft provided a statement regarding coronavirus outbreaks at Minnesota facilities:

We utilize a variety of data to closely monitor the safety of our buildings and there is strong evidence that our employees are not proliferating the virus at work—what we see generally is that the overall rate of infection and increase or decrease of total cases is highly correlated to the overall community rate of infection. Over the months of COVID-19, thousands of employees and partners have worked at our Shakopee site and we believe strongly people are not spreading the virus at work given the robust safety measures we’ve put into place. 

MDH said Amazon is one of more than 250 workplaces that have reported COVID-19 case clusters and that the company's number of cases is about average as a proportion of its employee population. Amazon says it employs more than 15,000 hourly workers in Minnesota.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

Recirculated Air/AC    ........ And the may be, could be, should be continues.

@Sheila P-Burg 

Oh "good" another theory by the experts.....lets just throw it up at a dart board and see if it sticks....when can we actually get some REAL FACTS from these people!?!?!? Woman Frustrated

I'm in Texas and WON'T give up my A/C!

Unless you're in an apartment complex that circulates the air throughout the apartments, there's no reason not to use your A/C. Even if you have shared air, it's not the same as air that's pushed across one patron's exhalations to another's inhalations. That was the documented source of a number of cases in a restaurant in Asia, I believe.

More people die of heat-related issues than cold, and you're in a state that can become dangeously hot. Please stay cool and safe.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Kyle Brown

At least 187 employees at Amazon facilities in Minnesota have tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH).

The biggest outbreak so far has been at the online retailer's fulfillment center in Shakopee, where at least 88 employees have tested positive for the virus so far.

Other outbreaks have been reported at facilities in Eagan (22 cases), Brooklyn Park (14 cases) and Maple Grove (5 cases). Another 58 COVID-19 patients reported working for Amazon but did not specify the facility where they work.

According to MDH, the highest concentration of positive cases at the Shakopee facility occurred from April 24 to May 20 and have been more spread out into June.

The outbreaks in Eagan and Brooklyn Park also follow a clustering trend, MDH said. The Eagan distribution center has only had one confirmed case in June, and the majority of the cases in Brooklyn Park were detected in the first two weeks of May.

MDH said that while these employees work at Amazon distribution centers, it does not necessarily mean they contracted the virus through contact with their coworkers.

Amazon spokeswoman Jen Crowcroft provided a statement regarding coronavirus outbreaks at Minnesota facilities:

We utilize a variety of data to closely monitor the safety of our buildings and there is strong evidence that our employees are not proliferating the virus at work—what we see generally is that the overall rate of infection and increase or decrease of total cases is highly correlated to the overall community rate of infection. Over the months of COVID-19, thousands of employees and partners have worked at our Shakopee site and we believe strongly people are not spreading the virus at work given the robust safety measures we’ve put into place. 

MDH said Amazon is one of more than 250 workplaces that have reported COVID-19 case clusters and that the company's number of cases is about average as a proportion of its employee population. Amazon says it employs more than 15,000 hourly workers in Minnesota.

While I thank you for posting the article, it still does not address the OP claim that shipping delays are occurring.  These employees were sick back in April.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 

I'm confused.  I thought they were busy posting "happy things" going on in their lives.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Kyle Brown

While I thank you for posting the article, it still does not address the OP claim that shipping delays are occurring.  These employees were sick back in April.

It's quite possible if they were diagosed/sick in April, which has 30 days, that the workers are still suffering the effects of the virus or need to continue isolation if they were not hospitalized.  COVID doesn't use a clock!

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Kyle Brown

It's quite possible if they were diagosed/sick in April, which has 30 days, that the workers are still suffering the effects of the virus or need to continue isolation if they were not hospitalized.  COVID doesn't use a clock!

OP claimes that the point of her post was about shipping delays (post # 6).  Nothing in any articles referrence that.  Speculation about employees still being out still is not confirming shipping delays.