Trusted Contributor

MINIMALISM. If you already have one...

Has anyone been following discussions about MINIMALISM, perhaps discussions online, on instagram, on facebook, or perhaps watching the Netflix documentary on Minimalism?

After a month of online shopping mainly for toys, but only for a few things for myself, I am happy to report that I cancelled that second pair of slippers on Amazon that I did not need! (I know that's a small thing, but I have had the tendency that if I find a product that I like then I think I have to buy it again right away--as if I will never again "find" another one that will please me as well! Smiley Very Happy )

I TAKE A SURVEY OF MY CLOTHING ITEMS AND KITCHEN ITEMS AND RESIST THE ALLURE OF BUYING MORE ITEMS IN THE SAME CATEGORY WHEN I HAVE *ENOUGH* already.

SOOO, what is your experience of starting to allow* minimalism* have at least SOME influence on your shopping habits?

Woman HappySolar1

Respected Contributor

Re: MINIMALISM. If you already have one...

I try to use what I have on hand, but when I see my favorite/frequently used products on sale, I can't seem to resist buying.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

I certainly have more stuff than I will ever use and only now am mindful of that fact. I'm trying my best to not bring any more stuff into my home without letting something go. I doubt if I will ever get to be a minimalist.

Respected Contributor

Although this has nothing to do with making purchases, DH and I are considering having a very minimal Christmas tree this year.  The tree, a faux, went up a few days ago and it's pre-lit, so we've been having the lights on at night, but haven't gotten around to decorating it.  I've been thinking it's lovely as is, and today, DH commented that maybe we should leave it undecorated. He said he likes the way it looks with just lights.  Unfortunately, during the day it looks kind of sad and I have a collection of beautiful ornaments that I enjoy seeing every year. Has anyone ever not decorated their main Christmas tree?  I have two Norfolk pines in the sunroom that have lights only. 

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic  at night a tree looks great with just lights, but I think you might want to put on some of the beautiful ornaments you already have.

As far as minimalism, I will practice mindful spending for at least three months starting in January. I was looking at all the gifts from last year I still haven't used yet (slippers, Dooney handbag, wallet, Philosophy....). To think I was looking for face cream the other day, when I have some in an unopened kit I was given last year. 

Trusted Contributor

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

Has anyone been following discussions about MINIMALISM, perhaps discussions online, on instagram, on facebook, or perhaps watching the Netflix documentary on Minimalism?

After a month of online shopping mainly for toys, but only for a few things for myself, I am happy to report that I cancelled that second pair of slippers on Amazon that I did not need! (I know that's a small thing, but I have had the tendency that if I find a product that I like then I think I have to buy it again right away--as if I will never again "find" another one that will please me as well! Smiley Very Happy )

I TAKE A SURVEY OF MY CLOTHING ITEMS AND KITCHEN ITEMS AND RESIST THE ALLURE OF BUYING MORE ITEMS IN THE SAME CATEGORY WHEN I HAVE *ENOUGH* already.

SOOO, what is your experience of starting to allow* minimalism* have at least SOME influence on your shopping habits?

Woman HappySolar1

Yes, trying - really trying to stop the impulse spending. The last two trips grocery shopping, I made a list and stuck to it. Didn't 'browse' which is my downfall. I was mission focused. Same with two gift shopping trips. Stuck to the plan and it felt good. My dh shops like that all the time. I used to say, how can you not grab a goodie or snack - his answer was always " it wasnt on your list". 

⚓️
Respected Contributor

Yesterday I was standing over my two bins full of table top size trees and SMH and thinking why is it, every year I do just what I said I wouldn’t do.....buy another style of tree, in multiples ! I fall in love with whatever the new version is for this year, and think I need another for over here, another for over there. So, now I have way too many. 🤔😜

Honored Contributor

I guess minimalist depends on one's definition, how large a house, how much storage, and how large the closets.

It's easier to be minimalist in a large house, but it's been said size doesn't matter, some women will eventually fill it up until the walls are bulging.  Move to a larger house and they'll fill that one up, too.  Lol.    

For me, minimalist in home decor is few pieces of furniture and accessories in the room with lots of space around them.  For clothing, a few pieces worn frequently.

I'm not a minimalist or a clutterist.

So, I have more furniture, accessories and clothing than a minimalist, but I like cozy, my favorite things around me...enough clothing to change often.

So, I'm somewhere between minimalist and clutterist and usually give something away for everything I buy.  

Honored Contributor

I have a fear of running out. I doubt I will ever be a minimalist.

Honored Contributor

I think for me realizing I only have one body that I dress once every day. I don't need a huge surplus of clothing. Same with makeup which I don't wear every day anyway. 

As far as my home, clutter stresses me out. I like a clean look without stuff on every countertop and surface. 

The number one thing that helped was changing my circumstances that drove me to overbuy, namely, dissatisfaction and sadness.