Honored Contributor

Re: MEN SHOULD MARRY AND WOMEN SHOULDN'T BOTHER

A couple of posters here mentioned Luck.

Yes, I've always thought that sometimes it's about just pure luck.

In jobs, in marriage, in raising children, in safety, in many things we do.

Sometimes things just 'fall into place', 'without any rhyme or reason'.

As always, wishing everyone well.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY  - don't remove your post or let other comments feel like you should.  Your post is a good one.

Honored Contributor

My mother would often extoll the joys of having children. She implied that that's what marriage is all about. She also scorned working mothers.

Here's the truth: From the time that my older brother was born until I was four or five, we had a live-in maid who did much of the child-rearing (and not very well). 

My mother never knew anything about emotionally caring for children. She was verbally abusive to a dangerous degree.

Basically, her opinions were belied by her actions. I've often thought that she was a victim not only of her own mental instability but also by her era (1950s.)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

ROMARY 1, while it may be what you term "cushy" job for you, those who have to depend on this "cushy" job to feed & rear children, may not agree. Low pay, little respect & zero potential for career growth. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Is anyone else shocked that we are having this discussion in 2019?

Considering other factors I can't mention, and it being on the Q forums-no, honestly.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I really never expect anyone to agree with me. 

A receptionist is probably one of the most important 'public relations' assets for companies.

On the phone, and in person. 

How we view the 'receptionist' is sometimes what we think about the company. 

A receptionist can sometimes 'make or break' a company.

Whether medical, legal, etc., etc.

Also, I've known a few who ended up quite successful. 

Running across exceptional job opportunities.  Etc., etc.

'All in all', there are a variety of experiences from each of us.  Some bad, some good.

As always, wishing everyone well.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Thirty some years ago when my SO and I told my parents we were moving in together, my father was upset and said what's wrong with getting married?  Your mother and I have been happy!  My mother wasted no time in emphatically stating to my dad "speak for yourself"!! 

Esteemed Contributor

This article is absolutely right! I'm so grateful that I grew up in a time where I could choose to not have children or be married. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I chose to not marry or have children, I am far from a hedonist. It's ok to slam women who make that choice but let's not "slam" men? I've known bad men and very good men in my life. The good ones tend to be spoken for. 

My parents didn't have a good healthy marriage. I know exactly what I would want from marriage and it wasn't meant to be for me. I'm happy with my choice, I'm not a hedonist-far from it. I've experienced so much judgment from others for making that choice too. Rude questions from total strangers regarding my personal choices. And cruel judgement from family and friends.

I'm curious...if a man decided not to marry would he be ridiculed and put down for his choice?  You were treated badly by others for your choice to never marry and I'm sorry you had to experience that.  What business is it to others for the choices people make, particularly since it had nothing to do with them.  The main thing is that you are happy with your choice, that's what counts. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

I am not married and don't have children BY CHOICE. I've never been ridiculed at all for my choices by anybody. If anything, some married people with children have confessed being jealous and said they'd wish they'd made the same decisions as me.