Honored Contributor

Re: MEDS THAT INCREASE YOUR RISK OF FALLING

@Georgiagrama 

Might consider Balance Physical Therapy. That's what I did along with doing the exercises i was shown. I did implement some of my own and i do them daily. 

Along with balance strengthening leg muscles also is important too. Worked for me.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@Georgiagrama 

Might consider Balance Physical Therapy. That's what I did along with doing the exercises i was shown. I did implement some of my own and i do them daily. 

Along with balance strengthening leg muscles also is important too. Worked for me.

hckynut(john)

This is what I use to strengthen my balance:

I like to do it blindfolded.

LifePro Waver Vibration Plate Exercise Machine - Whole Body Workout Vibration Fitness Platform w/Loop Bands.

Works for me.  Try it.  No meds required.  👍

36BB57C5-CFDA-4E87-93E5-01D85E1E4F94.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

My blood pressure medicine does this.  I have lost my balance a lot more lately and have the cuts and bruises to prove it. 

I think it's time to talk to my Doctor.  Being older, I am aware that a serious fall could do me in. 

@Georgiagrama @When on bp meds it's always a good idea to ride up slowly because many of these meds promote dizziness. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Hi @Tinkrbl44 

I was on BP meds after heart attack #2. Never had high BP before or after heart attack #1. My Cardiologist however wanted my BP to be as low as possible without it effecting me. Pretty consistent Med, other than it becoming a Generic, no changes.

The starting dose was too much and effected me when even bending over to pick up a cat toy on the floor. He cut my med dosage in half and that was not enough. Finally got the right dosage and took it for about 9 years.

It appears this Harvard study wants me to buy a book or something, as it says Order a Copy Now!  The link did have some good tips, 1 specifically is "eyesight". Ever have an incident when going down steps, thinking you are on the last one, and you are not? My wife did, broke and dislocated her elbow. 8 weeks in a cast. I have done this, but caught myself in time.

A couple years ago I decided I wanted a Teeter Inversion Table and that is a no-no when on BP meds. So I asked my Cardiologist to take me off the BP med. He said try no meds for a month and get a recheck. He then took me off and I bought my Teeter.

It certainly effected my BP when rising from sitting or lying too quickly, but nothing else. But if I didn't allow time for blood to return to my head?  Not good!

Now when I decided to return to ice skating st 78 and 14 years of no skating? Was a disaster and to avoid breaking more bones I went to Balance PT for 12 weeks and off days did 45 minutes working on balance. Still fell a lot, but on ice at 79? That is a given, but my balance was/is much better. 

Now after not skating for 7 months I will be going Wednesday. Balance on skates? Beats me, but I plan on being close to the boards until I get it figured out. Unfortunately balance is not stable from 1 day to the next on ice skated  so??  Will see.

A friend of mine, half my age, was worried about remembering how to skate. He compared it to "riding a bike"! I told him that "I remembered" how to skate, but memory is not the issue. The lower body doesn't always work in conjunction with what I remember.

I told him he would be fine, but as he gets older he will find out that "balance" has more to do with skating than remembering how to skate. Now for me it's a wait and see. Last time I was 78, this time I am 81! Hmmm.

hckynut

@hckynut Hello hckynut. Did you know that high intensity sports in cold environments such as ice hockey are associated with sudden heart attack in fit, athletic men over 50. I don't know if skating qualifies as one of the high intensity sports. The death of actor Alan Thicke, at 69 p, while playing his usual ice hockey was due to this. He was an incredibly fit man. The cold affect the heart function. Shoveling snow is associated with this same risk for older, fit, men. You might want to put in a phone call to your doctor clear this activity. 

Honored Contributor

@EatWell 

If you don't mind me asking .... what did you pay for that? 

Honored Contributor

Hello to you @Mindy D ,

Appreciate your info, I just think differently from the many Clinics I have attended over the years. Several given by Sports Med Exercise Physiologists/Cardiologists/Pulmonologists and Radiologists. Both my Pulmonologist and Cardiologist are are aware of my love of ice skating and neither of them are concerned.

I did most of my recovery from heart attack #1, which also included Aspiration Pneumonia. The Pneumonia was what about killed me, not the heart attack. Took awhile to talk my Pulmonologist into clearing me to skate, more because of my 2 episodes of PE, and the lung damage done.

He cleared me when I agreed to wear a helmet and a mask while skating. I wore my chest strap HR Monitor and also checked my Oxygen Saturation with my Oximeter which I took to the rink.

As a decades long runner of road races from 1 mile to full 26.2 mile Marathons, I can tell you that my type of ice skating is much more intensive than any of the 5k/10k runs and the training. Good skaters make it look effortless, but running does not include balancing on a 16th of an inch blade. 

When I skate I do warmup/aerobic skating when my HR reaches 120bpm, which consists of many laps of the 400' circumference of the rink. I then do 30-40 to 65' foot intervals working up to and past my anaerobic threshold.

I look at my life this way. Hockey and ice skating has been a big part of all of my life starting at 8 years old. Played/Referee and ran my own Adult Hockey League for over 52 years. I can't think of a better place for me to "kick the bucket" than skating on a sheet of ice. Hopefully that will be Wednesday after 7 months of not skating.

Thank you for your concern. Can't wait to lace 'em up again Wednesday. My concern is not my heart or lungs, its hitting that dang ice that hurts like he!!.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@EatWell 

My wife used a commercial level machine during her Rehab from her right knee TKR at her Physical Therapy Clinic.

A similar machine was used when I went to my 12 weeks of balance PT. It was a huge Circle shaped machine that was computerized for all different movements. You have to use a safety harness so it can't throw you off.

For me and ice skating that isn't what works best. For good level skaters 90+% of skating is done on 1 foot. Striding is 1 foot/crossover turning is done with 1 foot on 1 foot off the ice. For better skilled skaters the only time your 2 skates are on the ice is when you are coasting.

Glad this works so well for you, thanks for your info and feedback on this topic.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)