Frequent Contributor

Re: MAYFLOWER 400 year anniversary

I appreciate the information!   I was not clear on the dismbarkment date, and there is that pesky change in calendars, Julian to Gregorian, to mess up things.  I know they anchored in Novemember and did not come ashore until December.  Weather-wise, it was a horrible time of year to land in Massachusetts.  The replica of the ship is stunning! 

Esteemed Contributor

That the Pilgrims left Europe for religious freedom is essentially a myth that has evolved over the years of teaching in the American school system, as it's a simplistic explanation. 

The Pilgrims left England for Holland where they lived and enjoyed religious freedoms, but were dissatisfied with the social and economic obstacles they faced there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

JohnnyEager,

For the sake of argument, let's grant that they first experienced religious freedom in Holland.  Did they not want it when they arrived on the shores of North America?  Of course they did.

So, in addition to their religious freedom, they also desired "social and economic" freedoms.  A good checklist, for certain.

My point:  If these freedoms were sought by them, they should be extended to others who arrived at a later time and, sometimes, not of their own volition. 

A reminder of what this country is all about should roll through the land every now and again.  

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

That the Pilgrims left Europe for religious freedom is essentially a myth that has evolved over the years of teaching in the American school system, as it's a simplistic explanation. 

The Pilgrims left England for Holland where they lived and enjoyed religious freedoms, but were dissatisfied with the social and economic obstacles they faced there.

@Johnnyeager Weren't they considered radicals and basically forced out of Holland? 

Esteemed Contributor

My understanding is that while Holland was generally open to many at the time, the Pilgrims became uncomfortable with the  established Protestant environment,  in addition to closer Dutch relationships developing with Catholic Spain.  Seemed like an opportune time for them to leave!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I've had the impression in reading in general about the Puritans and Nonconformists in England in that period, that those who fled to Holland became ultimately dissatisfied.  One thing that bothered them, apparently, was that they felt their children were absorbing values that they, as Puritans, disavowed.

Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh  I think that stamp is so beautiful.  I just orderd three sheets of those stamps from USPS.  

Honored Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

@gidgetgh  I think that stamp is so beautiful.  I just orderd three sheets of those stamps from USPS.  

@walkingal I had ordered a few sheets when they came out.  They're so pretty. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

@Hetty wrote:

Thank you for reminding us about the anniversary of the Mayflower voyage.  Six of my ancestors signed the Mayflower Compact:  Samuel Fuller, John Howland, John Tilley, Peter Brown, Francis Cooke, and John Billington.  I have been researching my family tree for over twenty years, as well.  This year, I finally joined the Mayflower Society, just in time for the anniversary!  I am thankful for those who came before me and suffered such hardships for a better life in the new world!

That is so nice!  And glad to hear you joined the Mayflower Society.  I understand they just recently partnered with a genealogical research company or firm, and that has made the researching much less daunting for perspective members!  I belong to a few ancestry societies, and I was wondering if I may have had ancestors on the Mayflower.  I requested the application/research forms for the Mayflower, but I haven't started it yet.  

Frequent Contributor

The New England Historic Genealogical Society partnered with the GSMD to digitize the fifth generation of the Silver Books and genealogies from the Mayflower Quarterly,   I believe there will be a searchable index with birth, marriage, deeds, death and burial data.