Honored Contributor

MAY 5 FIRST AMERICAN IN SPACE ALAN SHEPARD

Alan-shepard1.jpg

The first American to go into space, May 5, 1961.  He'll always have that distinction.  A decade later, walked on the moon.

An exciting period in the history of exploration.

I like this example of his 'astronautian' understatement I found on Wiki.  A brave breed:

"You know, being a test pilot isn't always the healthiest business in the world."

—Shepard quoted at the New Mexico Museum of Space History[16]

Trusted Contributor

Re: MAY 5 FIRST AMERICAN IN SPACE ALAN SHEPARD

I loved Alan Shepard and remember how exciting it was. I was a freshman in high school 

Jessa
Honored Contributor

Bravo to Alan Shepard and all he did for the US space program.  It was an exciting time when space travel was in the news and man landed on the moon.  I remember it well and it always gave me pride.

Honored Contributor

So true, @Jessa9 and @spiderw .   A stunning series of accomplishments and advancement for exploration and science.

Oh, and never to forget-- Alan Shepard was the first to "play golf" on the moon.  I love the bravado of that...

Respected Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

Bravo to Alan Shepard and all he did for the US space program.  It was an exciting time when space travel was in the news and man landed on the moon.  I remember it well and it always gave me pride.

It still does.  My heart swells whenever I see the footage of those achievements.