Honored Contributor

I heard something on the radio the other day about someone who had invented a mask that had an opening to accept a straw so you could continue to enjoy your drinks.  Don't know if that is what is could be, but I thought it was a dumb idea since any opening defeats the purpose, although it would still prevent most of your spittle from exiting.  

Esteemed Contributor

From an online article.  They are banned in CA because of the following. 

"But in California’s Bay Area, there’s a new stipulation: You can wear any style of mask you want, so long as it doesn’t have a valve in it. What? Why? Because a mask with a valve may protect you from some pathogens in the air, but it doesn’t protect the people around you from your own breath."

WHAT IS A MASK VALVE?

Some masks and respirators have a little plastic piece embedded in the fabric. It’s a one-way valve. That means it closes when you breathe in, so pathogens can’t get in through it. But when you breathe out, this valve opens, creating a doorway for your exhalation to leave the mask.

Esteemed Contributor

Something like that would work for me because I feel as if I´m suffocating when wearing a mask. Getting use to it though.

Since hearing this, I´ll stay away from those.  My friend just gave me this info, but it´s also on line.

@tends2dogs  forget what I said about this mask working for you.

Respected Contributor

Among the array of face mask being worn by people in public are ones with small valves on them for better ventilation. Although they look sleek and are effective, there is some worry that they may pose a risk to others.

The masks work by filtering the air coming in, but not the air going out, and that means if you have covid -19, you could be unknowingly spreading virus through your breath, even while wearing one.

"The mask is designed in order to protect me [the wearer], not to protect you," said Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of infectious disease at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. The masks are not the best choice for the general public to avoid spreading the coronavirus, Schaffner said.

"So just by wearing a bandana or a surgical mask, they actually work better than the valve mask."

Inside Edition found that valve masks are pretty popular on the street, and several people we spoke to were shocked to learn they may not be protecting others. 

strylin Protective N95 Dust Mask, Adjustable PM2.5 Air Filter Mask, Breathing Valve Mask, Washable Mouth Cover Mask, Dustproof Safety Mask Respirator with Breath Valve for Anti-dust Smoke Gas Allergy Best Deals and Price History at JoinHoney.com | Honey

Rockbros kn95 bicycle active carbon breathing valve mask with anti ...

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

I guess I didn't explain myself very well.  This is not the internal slit where a filter can be slid into.  It is on the outside, and it is a round opening about the size of a quarter.  It looked like something that could be popped open or closed. The mask was cloth.

The next time I see someone wearing one, I may have to ask them.  I don't go out very often so it may be awhile. Woman Wink

@tends2dogs  Oh, I see, got it, thanks. 

Perhaps it was a bicycle mask or high endurance training mask.  Both of those have been worn by high endurance athletes for years, before some people started using them for the pandemic.  They are very prevalent around here.  I'm not at all sure the folks wearing them are actually athletes or just think these type make them look cooler.

Typical Bicycle Mask

Bicycle Mask.jpg

Endurance Training Masks

Training Mask.jpg

Trainng Mask 2.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I heard something on the radio the other day about someone who had invented a mask that had an opening to accept a straw so you could continue to enjoy your drinks.  Don't know if that is what is could be, but I thought it was a dumb idea since any opening defeats the purpose, although it would still prevent most of your spittle from exiting.  

Here's one I found @Icegoddess 

Face masks that allow you to drink without removing mask | Fort ...

Fashion designer Ellen Macomber has already sold out of her special face masks designed to allow wearers to sip through a little flap of fabric that closes like a trap door.

“You can use them to social-distance and drink,” she said. “Instead of taking your mask on and off and touching your face and all that. And if you’re talking, you’re not going to be spitting all over the place.” Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

There are shysters out there that will come up with anything to get anyone's money.   They prey on the weak and fearful.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

Among the array of face mask being worn by people in public are ones with small valves on them for better ventilation. Although they look sleek and are effective, there is some worry that they may pose a risk to others.

The masks work by filtering the air coming in, but not the air going out, and that means if you have covid -19, you could be unknowingly spreading virus through your breath, even while wearing one.

"The mask is designed in order to protect me [the wearer], not to protect you," said Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of infectious disease at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. The masks are not the best choice for the general public to avoid spreading the coronavirus, Schaffner said.

"So just by wearing a bandana or a surgical mask, they actually work better than the valve mask."

Inside Edition found that valve masks are pretty popular on the street, and several people we spoke to were shocked to learn they may not be protecting others. 

strylin Protective N95 Dust Mask, Adjustable PM2.5 Air Filter Mask, Breathing Valve Mask, Washable Mouth Cover Mask, Dustproof Safety Mask Respirator with Breath Valve for Anti-dust Smoke Gas Allergy Best Deals and Price History at JoinHoney.com | Honey

Rockbros kn95 bicycle active carbon breathing valve mask with anti ...

@MorningLover   The top picture is what I saw.  Thanks for the information about these. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I am used to seeing masks used for specific purposes.  And they are not cheap.

If I should see a mask with a vent out strolling, I would run the other way.

Honored Contributor

Maybe someone alreaqdy knew this -  I didn't and didn't read all the previous replies.  Sorry if I'm repeating.

I just read a long message from my eye doctor about the new procedures in his office.  Masks with the openings are for industrial use and allow workers to breathe out.  They will not protect others from you which is the primary reason for civilians wearing a mask in public.  If a patient presents with one of those masks, they will have to agree to wear a mask the office provides or they will not be admitted.

Also -  anyone coming in with a handmade mask will be required to show the filter before being admitted to the office.