Honored Contributor

Re: MAN TRAPPED FOR 10 HOURS BY SNOWPLOW

My understanding is the snow plows buried the car.  Didn't he see the plows coming and honk his horn???  I agree with others that something is missing in the story.  Glad it ended happily.

Honored Contributor

It's nice to see the "whole" story, but still something has got to be missing.  Why would the police officer be looking for house numbers on mail boxes if he hadn't been told what house number to look for?  If the man knew the house number he parked in front of, then why weren't emergency crews all over the street looking for him?  I know it's important to have house numbers visible for emergencies, but surely they can get within a few houses without them, so 10 hours to find the car?  

We are required to have house numbers on our houses.  I'm not even sure we're required to have them on our mail boxes.  I know every couple of years people come around trying to sell house numbers painted on the curb with reflective paint, so if house numbers on mail boxes is required, why would we need that?  Yet, the mail person gets the mail in the correct box most times. 

I also wondered why he didn't try the passenger side door.  A snow plow would mainly dump snow against the driver's side and maybe on top.  Even if he had been sleeping one off before the snow plow buried him, he should be able to roll down the passenger side window and dig himself out even if it had snowed enough during his nap to cover the passenger side window.  

Of course, I live somewhere where they encourage putting house numbers on the curb, so what do I know?  Hahahaha!

Esteemed Contributor

NEW YORK (AP) — A man who drove off the road in this week’s snowstorm spent 10 hours trapped in his car after a passing plow and rapidly accumulating snow buried it, finally managing to get a 911 call through and being rescued in the nick of time by a New York state trooper.

Kevin Kresen, 58, of Candor, drove off the road in the town of Owego and became “plowed in by a truck,” state police said.

“If he was in there for another hour his body temperature would have gone lower, and I’m convinced he wouldn’t have made it,” State Police Sgt. Jason Cawley, who rescued the man, said in an interview.

Kresen drove into a ditch around midnight and called 911 through the wee hours of Thursday but had trouble connecting. The vehicle became completely disabled, authorities said, leaving Kresen without heat.

“He finally got through a few times and was geolocated, but not very well because of the spottiness of the reception,” Cawley said.

First responders narrowed the call to a 3-mile stretch along the Susquehanna River in Owego, outside Binghamton, which got over 40 inches of snow in the storm. The storm covered Kresen’s car in snow, and at least one plow passed by as he remained trapped.

Cawley climbed miles of snowbanks, finally happening on one that looked slightly different and was in front of a house. He believed at first that he was looking at a row of mailboxes.

“I reached in to find which address I was at when I punched the side window of a car,” Cawley said. “I was a little shocked because I was actually standing almost on top of the car.”

The 22-year-veteran of the State Police cleared off the glass and asked whether anyone was inside.

“‘I’m inside the car and I can’t feel my feet,’” Kresen told him.

“My heart jumped,” Cawley said. He dug Kresen out with the help of a passerby.

Kresen was suffering from hypothermia and frostbite and had gotten to the point where he had stopped shivering, Cawley said.

“That’s a very bad place to be when your body has stopped making heat and stopped trying to warm itself,” he said.

Kresen, whose speech was slurring, was helped into a marked police car and then driven to an ambulance, where he began warming up.

“He was grateful to have been pulled out,” said Cawley, who called the case his “first Arctic rescue.”

hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/12/18/motorist-rescued-after-hours-car-buried-by-snow-plow/

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

In this case he might have been somewhat lucky that his heater wasn't working, he could have been axphixiated if his exhaust was blocked!  I believe the story as I've been in similar storms and after the plows, of my!

@patbz 

A vehicle with an internal combustion engine will not run. If the exhaust end is completely blocked that can cause asphyxiation. A vehicle completely covered as this one?  These engines need air to run, and from the looks of this car, I can't see how air would get to the fuel system.

Like humans, an internal combustion engine without oxygen, will stop running. 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Marp 

That "drove off the road" stumps me. The picture looks like the vehicle is parallel to that house to me. Unless on a cul-de-sac where we live, most roads run parallel to homes on the sides of the roadway.

To me "drove off the road" has a much different meaning than having my wheels over a curb and on someone's yard. And since most vehicles I have driven, the front end of it, would be the first part to leave the road, leaving maybe the trunk end exposed.

One other note. Alcohol lowers the body's core temperature, thus in a situation such as this? However it happened, that just might be another factor to think about.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

probably has dementia. As men age they start losing brain function,

My husband is that way. I saw a man and woman other day at the store he was trying to keep up with her and then later on I heard a young girl, she was so kind, take him by the arm and say "are you lost? Who did you come with"?   I suspect the guys wife eventually found him and they were reunited.

She probably had nobody to leave him with, no family or friends to help her, so, she had to take him with her every where she goes.  So sad.

Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

probably has dementia. As men age they start losing brain function,

My husband is that way. I saw a man and woman other day at the store he was trying to keep up with her and then later on I heard a young girl, she was so kind, take him by the arm and say "are you lost? Who did you come with"?   I suspect the guys wife eventually found him and they were reunited.

She probably had nobody to leave him with, no family or friends to help her, so, she had to take him with her every where she goes.  So sad.

Woman Sad

@SharkE 

Now wait just a minute, please! "As men age they start losing brain function"?  As an old man with at least half my younger brain still functioning, is this a fact? 

I haven't looked into it so it is a question. Just last week a good friend of mine, also a ice skater, had her husband admitted into an Assisted Living Facility. I know both of them from working at AT&T.

I know she is 76, but only because after 75, skaters can skate free. Don't know his age, but it had to do with dementia. It got so she could not leave him home alone. I feel bad for both of them, but she did say, he agreed with her it would be best.

Anyways, about this guy stuck in the snow! Just a repeat, I think there are missing parts of this story.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Most men are born and stay through out their lives brain dead. LOL

Can I get a AMEN !

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Most men are born and stay through out their lives brain dead. LOL

Can I get a AMEN !

@SharkE

AMEN

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp

I believe the story I found was a short version of what happened, I am glad you found the full version and posted it.  It gave the nay- sayers the opportunity to see the entire picture.  Incidentally, where did you find the source you posted?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam