Honored Contributor

Re: MAN TRAPPED FOR 10 HOURS BY SNOWPLOW

@CalminHeart wrote:

Do some states not have snow ordinances that require off-street parking during snowstorms?  My state does and that's the only way someone would get buried other than if they go into a ditch somewhere.

Some cities and towns have "snow emergency routes" which don't allow on-street parking.  But they're only the main routes, not side streets.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

4 feet is not very much. I don't understand at all why he didn't just crawl out. I absolutely know that I could do that....Is this a joke story?

@Goldengate8361   Head-first into a snow bank?    I am 4'10"......and I couldn't possibly get out.....let alone smash the window.    The door wouldn't budge either, with that much snow weight against it.  

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Snowplows are dangerous to be around in big storms. I live on a state highway and in a big storm when you've got a few inches of snow on the road they come along at fifty or sixty miles an hour and anything within ten to twenty feet of the road gets clobbered. Mailboxes, paper boxes, yard ornaments, even fencing gets clobbered. If you're out shoveling snow anywhere near the road, you want to make sure you have an easy escape route out of their range and keep your ears uncovered so you can be sure to hear them coming. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just snow, but the brine mix they put down first makes it more of a heavy icy/slushy mix, and getting hit by it is not fun. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

4 feet is not very much. I don't understand at all why he didn't just crawl out. I absolutely know that I could do that....Is this a joke story?

We had 6" of snow on Wednesday and you should see the big piles of snow around here.

The problem is that plows create huge piles that can bury anything in their path.

Honored Contributor

Don't go out in first place is my motto or suffer the consequences.

People create their own problems a lot of the time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

Something is strange about this story and is not being disclosed. 

hckynut 

I am thinking the same thing. It must have been snowing for quite awhile for the car to get that covered in snow. And if he had a broken belt, what was he doing? Just sitting in his car and not trying to address the broken belt? He must have gotten out of his car, at one time, to find out that he had a broken belt.

a house covered in snow: img-18251.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

A New York man spent 10 hours trapped in his car after a snowplow buried his vehicle under four feet of snow, authorities said.

Police recorded several 911 calls on Thursday, 12/17, about a driver who went off the road along State Route 17C and needed help in Owego, a town in western New York just a few miles from the Pennsylvania border.

Sgt. Jason Cawly of the New York State Police went hunting for the vehicle and spotted several mail boxes sticking out of the snow piled along the side of the road.  He dug through the snow to check for addresses and suddenly uncovered a window.

On the other side of the glass was a 58 year old man who had been calling 911 from the buried vehicle.  The Candor, N.Y. man was suffering from hypothermia and frostbite.  His vehicle had no heat because of a broken belt.  He was treated at Lourds Hospital.

The region around Owego was pummeled with snow during Tuesday's storm, receiving about 40 inches according to local reporters.

--------------------

This was a hard way to learn a lesson. The man was very lucky and hopefully, he and others who live in areas that get hit with snowstorms, make sure their vehicles are functioning at 100% capacity.

I was so happy to see they got that man out! I saw where the policeman was having a hard time finding him. Thank God he didn't give up. I can't even imagine that much snow. 

Trusted Contributor

It does look like he was parked on a residential street or in front of a house.  You would think he could have gotten out on the passenger side. 

Esteemed Contributor

In this case he might have been somewhat lucky that his heater wasn't working, he could have been axphixiated if his exhaust was blocked!  I believe the story as I've been in similar storms and after the plows, of my!

Esteemed Contributor

😮 That poor man! Thankfully, there is a positive ending to this story. Had it not been for his cellphone, the narrative would likely be quite different. I am just relieved he lived, and can tell his story; regardless of the specifics.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖