Esteemed Contributor

MAN TRAPPED FOR 10 HOURS BY SNOWPLOW

[ Edited ]

A New York man spent 10 hours trapped in his car after a snowplow buried his vehicle under four feet of snow, authorities said.

Police recorded several 911 calls on Thursday, 12/17, about a driver who went off the road along State Route 17C and needed help in Owego, a town in western New York just a few miles from the Pennsylvania border.

Sgt. Jason Cawly of the New York State Police went hunting for the vehicle and spotted several mail boxes sticking out of the snow piled along the side of the road.  He dug through the snow to check for addresses and suddenly uncovered a window.

On the other side of the glass was a 58 year old man who had been calling 911 from the buried vehicle.  The Candor, N.Y. man was suffering from hypothermia and frostbite.  His vehicle had no heat because of a broken belt.  He was treated at Lourds Hospital.

The region around Owego was pummeled with snow during Tuesday's storm, receiving about 40 inches according to local reporters.

--------------------

This was a hard way to learn a lesson. The man was very lucky and hopefully, he and others who live in areas that get hit with snowstorms, make sure their vehicles are functioning at 100% capacity.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: MAN TRAPPED FOR 10 HOURS BY SNOWPLOW

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma 

Saw that on the news this morning. My first thought! How the heck does anyone that is awake, and not UTI of something, sit in a car and let himself get trapped?

Something is strange about this story and is not being disclosed. Whatever, this guy is fortunate to still be alive, and I hope he gets better. If he doesn't know how this happened? He had better stay out of vehicles during snow storms.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma   @hckynut   Yes, it happens.    My dad was stuck on the Indiana Turnpike in the Blizzard of '67.    The Highway Patrol rescued about 20 drivers when huge drifts of wet snow coming off Lake Michigan stalled the cars.   The drivers were taken to a nearby factory that turned on their heat,  and farmers from the area trudged on foot in two feet of snow to bring them meals.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi 

The news I saw looked like this car was parked in front of houses. On a highway or freeway I get it, but on a street with houses? Not so much.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

This happened in Owego, NY, not Oswego. Oswego is on Lake Ontario in north-central NY; Owego is in Tioga County near the Pennsylvania border. 

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

A New York man spent 10 hours trapped in his car after a snowplow buried his vehicle under four feet of snow, authorities said.

Police recorded several 911 calls on Thursday, 12/17, about a driver who went off the road along State Route 17C and needed help in Oswego, a town in western New York just a few miles from the Pennsylvania border.

Sgt. Jason Cawly of the New York State Police went hunting for the vehicle and spotted several mail boxes sticking out of the snow piled along the side of the road.  He dug through the snow to check for addresses and suddenly uncovered a window.

On the other side of the glass was a 58 year old man who had been calling 911 from the buried vehicle.  The Candor, N.Y. man was suffering from hypothermia and frostbite.  His vehicle had no heat because of a broken belt.  He was treated at Lourds Hospital.

The region around Oswego was pummeled with snow during Tuesday's storm, receiving about 40 inches according to local reporters.

--------------------

This was a hard way to learn a lesson. The man was very lucky and hopefully, he and others who live in areas that get hit with snowstorms, make sure their vehicles are functioning at 100% capacity.

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Police recorded several 911 calls on Thursday, 12/17, about a driver who went off the road along State Route 17C and needed help in Oswego, a town in western New York just a few miles from the Pennsylvania border.

The region around Oswego was pummeled with snow during Tuesday's storm, receiving about 40 inches according to local reporters.

--------------------

Esteemed Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

This happened in Owego, NY, not Oswego. Oswego is on Lake Ontario in north-central NY; Owego is in Tioga County near the Pennsylvania border. 

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

--------------------

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

--------------------

@Buffalogal47   Thank you, you are correct, I corrected it on my original, unfortunately I can't correect it on this one. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

4 feet is not very much. I don't understand at all why he didn't just crawl out. I absolutely know that I could do that....Is this a joke story?

Trusted Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma Don't feel bad, it wasn't just your mistake. Check  out on YouTube. The  CBS newscaster got it wrong too. 

Honored Contributor

It looks like a residential street, so I don't know why (or if) he didn't try walking to a nearby house.  But blaming him for his predicament isn't very nice.  I've driven in bad snow storms in Western New York and it can be hard to tell where you are, or if you're driving down the middle of the road or driving into a ditch.  Fortunately his cell phone was working though I imagine it wasn't easy to describe his location to the dispatcher.

snow plow.PNG

Honored Contributor

Do some states not have snow ordinances that require off-street parking during snowstorms?  My state does and that's the only way someone would get buried other than if they go into a ditch somewhere.