Esteemed Contributor

Re: 🐦 MAMA BIRD FEEDING & GUARDING HER NEST 🪺

@Kalli wrote:

Maybe it's a Tree Swallow? 

They live in Southern US and some Mid-Atlantic states according to my bird book.  I've never seen one near my house in PA but the picture in my book looks like your pic. 

They like nesting boxes.

Thank you so much for your help.😃❤️

I live in southeastern Ky, but just a few miles from Tennessee.  
I've noticed that whenever one bird flies out of the nest, a mate will come and sit on top of the house almost as if to guard it.❤️

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@cheriere.  It looks like a swallow, although the ones that nest over my entryway every year ( thinking my house is Capistrano) build mud nests, not nesting in houses.  They're very defensive of the area.   They're pests.  Maybe there are different varieties.

Good photos!

Thank you so much.😃❤️

It took me awhile of standing still to get those pics lol.  I still can't believe I got em.  I just wish the resolution had been better.

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Kachina624 , those are barn swallows.  And they're darker blue in coloring.

I think @Kalli is right, that they are tree swallows.  They look like it according to my bird books.

Thank you for your help too.😃❤️

I'm gonna make it a point now to learn more about the birds in my area.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ainhisg 

Wow!  That sure does look like my bird.  Thank you so much for your help.😃❤️

Im definitely gonna make it a point to learn more about the birds of my region in KY / TN.

Honored Contributor

Oh my goodness @cheriere!

You have a natural talent for photography. These are quite amazing! You could submit to National Geographic.

So beautiful!

I've told this before but I had parent wrens? built their nest twig by twig on one of my chairs outside.

Then there was 1 egg, then 2, then 3, then 5!

They all hatched and the parents were so busy bringing food. I got to watch all this for a month until they all hatched, hopped (I heard the cracking one night!)out of the nest, got their little wings going and flew.

The next day I heard some loud cheeping and thought where are the parents. I was getting worried so went to look closer. I put some cooked broccoli in the nest and the 5 birds hopped out! I was so surprised and unlike you I couldn't hold my phone still enough and could only capture one little one under my bench.The parents probably thought, hey human, we've got this,ok?!Woman LOL

Anyway, I was so happy to see them all finally fly away, but missed seeing this incredible show every day.

I read it is very unusual for them to return to the nest but they were such good parents and probably so tired corraling them that first day, they led them back to where they knew they would be safe.

I can't get over these wonderful pictures you took!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@cheriere  When the female bluebird leaves, the male will watch and protect the nest. He is darker. He has attacked other birds and squirrels, even flown at deer. 
  He brings food for her also.

🪺 🪹

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay 

I LOVE ❤️ the story about your wrens!  I'd never heard it before, so I'm so glad you shared it with me!  I'm glad you got to watch the whole process, especially them bringing the babies back to their original nest!  You're right, they knew they were safe there!❤️

I shake trying to get pictures of anything lol.  I really don't know how I was able to hold it even that still.  But, it was very quick.  I just made sure my phone camera was set to LIVE and started snapping every time I saw movement lol.

Id actually been outside trying to get pictures of the little peaches that had replaced the flowers in my white peach tree.  But, it was so windy, everything I took was blurry.  I just happened to be standing quietly for awhile waiting for the wind to die down whenever I saw the bird heading toward the nest.  I sure hope I'm able to see the babies before they fly away.

Thank you so much for complimenting my pics and posting your story.😃❤️🐦

Esteemed Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@cheriere  When the female bluebird leaves, the male will watch and protect the nest. He is darker. He has attacked other birds and squirrels, even flown at deer. 
  He brings food for her also.

🪺 🪹

Thank you so much for sharing this information with me.😃❤️

I'd seen him stand guarding the house and bring food, but I had no idea he would attack anything he deemed as a predator!  That's awesome!  I wonder if other male bird species are this helpful to their families?  I really do appreciate your post, thanks again.😃

Respected Contributor

@cheriere when you get the Merlin app downloaded, you select a "bird pack" according to your region, and that helps Merlin narrow down what your bird(s) could be.  It is right 90% of the time.  You can read about the bird, its habitat, and other interesting information, too.  The app also has a place where you can keep a list of birds you've seen.  One thing I really enjoy is that you can turn on the "sound" feature of the app, and it will record and identify in real time the birds it is "hearing."  Those recordings are saved.  The app is super easy to use.  All I did was take a screen shot of your photo, download it to the app, and bingo...it identifed it!  I live in MO, so I'm sure that bird is in my bird pack.

A book that I have enjoyed is a state specific book called Birds of Missouri.  It is just pretty darn handy.  I did a quick check on Amazon, and they have it for Kentucky.  I didn't check for Tennessee, but they probably have that one, too.  I first checked it out (along with one other) from the library, and I really liked this one.

Screen Shot 2024-05-15 at 4.04.45 PM.png

Honored Contributor

Please can someone identify this bird. Gorgeous.  I am in California and have not ever seen this bird.  I am so curious.