Honored Contributor

Re: 🐦 MAMA BIRD FEEDING & GUARDING HER NEST 🪺

@cheriere.  It looks like a swallow, although the ones that nest over my entryway every year ( thinking my house is Capistrano) build mud nests, not nesting in houses.  They're very defensive of the area.   They're pests.  Maybe there are different varieties.

Good photos!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 , those are barn swallows.  And they're darker blue in coloring.

I think @Kalli is right, that they are tree swallows.  They look like it according to my bird books.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@cheriere.  It looks like a swallow, although the ones that nest over my entryway every year ( thinking my house is Capistrano) build mud nests, not nesting in houses.  They're very defensive of the area.   They're pests.  Maybe there are different varieties.

Good photos!

@Kachina624 , I knocked down a mud/twig nest from the ledge of my gelding's run-in last fall. Probably a (barn) swallow's nest from what you described. That thing was hard to get down. Almost like it was cemented in there! 😀

Never saw the bird tho. Not sure if the nest was really used but could've been. Horse is usually outside when I go to get him.

Honored Contributor

@Kalli.  I KNOCK THEM DOWN AT THE END OF EVERY SEASON, BUT THEY'RE BACK IN THE SPRING BUILDING A NEW ONE.  THEY MIX DIRT WITH SALIVA TO MAKE THAT CEMENT.

LAST FALL I GOT A BUNCH OF SMALL MIRRORS TO STICK UP WHERE THEY NEST, THEN FORGOT THEM UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE.  THEYRE PROTECTED BY THE FEDERAL MIGRATORY BIRD ACT.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have garbage bags taped over my transom windows on the porch where my barn swallows try to nest every spring.  The flapping of the bags keep them away.  It looks terrible, but I live off the road so it's not like people see it.

I made the mistake of letting a couple nest the first year we were here and it took me forever to clean up their mess when they were gone.  Never again.  But every spring they keep trying.

I didn't mind when we had an actual barn for them to nest in, but not on my house.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kalli.  I KNOCK THEM DOWN AT THE END OF EVERY SEASON, BUT THEY'RE BACK IN THE SPRING BUILDING A NEW ONE.  THEY MIX DIRT WITH SALIVA TO MAKE THAT CEMENT.

LAST FALL I GOT A BUNCH OF SMALL MIRRORS TO STICK UP WHERE THEY NEST, THEN FORGOT THEM UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE.  THEYRE PROTECTED BY THE FEDERAL MIGRATORY BIRD ACT.

@Kachina624 I certainly can understand why you dislike them nesting in your entryway, since I found it's not easy to clear out every speck of those darn nests! 😡

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Maybe the Merlin app would tell you. 

@Icegoddess 

Is that app for just birds or various species?  

@Tinkrbl44 Just birds.

@Icegoddess 

Thank you .... I recently got a big bird book at the library because we're having trouble identifying a couple new "regulars" that visit.   Will get the Merlin app.   Woman Happy

@cheriere @Tinkrbl44 

If anyone is on Facebook, they have a Bird Identification Group.  

Respected Contributor

@cheriere Merlin says it's a tree swallow...

IMG_1985.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

I can't believe I was able to be still enough to capture these pics of a mama bird taking food to and guarding her nest in one of our birdhouses.  I'm farther away than what the pictures look, but I zoomed in as much as I could with my phone.  I'm not certain what kind of bird this is, but she's really pretty!

IMG_1430.jpeg

IMG_1429.jpeg

You can see something in her mouth in this one

IMG_1428.jpeg

IMG_1431.jpeg

IMG_1435.jpeg

IMG_1439.jpeg

IMG_1440.jpeg

@cheriere   Beautiful photos amd hard to take, birds are fast! I don't know how to post from I pad but I have a Mama bluebird that looks like this. Mine has a rosy breast.  The Daddy is darker blue. I've postponed house painting due to the birds nest in my house in the window box. 

Esteemed Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

I can't believe I was able to be still enough to capture these pics of a mama bird taking food to and guarding her nest in one of our birdhouses.  I'm farther away than what the pictures look, but I zoomed in as much as I could with my phone.  I'm not certain what kind of bird this is, but she's really pretty!

IMG_1430.jpeg

IMG_1429.jpeg

You can see something in her mouth in this one

IMG_1428.jpeg

IMG_1431.jpeg

IMG_1435.jpeg

IMG_1439.jpeg

IMG_1440.jpeg

@cheriere   Beautiful photos amd hard to take, birds are fast! I don't know how to post from I pad but I have a Mama bluebird that looks like this. Mine has a rosy breast.  The Daddy is darker blue. I've postponed house painting due to the birds nest in my house in the window box. 

Thank you so much.😃❤️

I still can't believe I got those pictures because they are very fast.

Something else I meant to post, I'm not sure 🤔 f this s the make or female.  The reason I say this is because whenever one bird flies out of the nest, another flies and waits on top of it, almost as if it's guarding it.  Happens this way every time too.  Plus, one of the birds does have more bright blue on it.  I know in some of the pictures it doesn't appear that bright, especially some head shots, but it s very bright blue.