Honored Contributor

Re: MALL rant... need to vent

Yow, @Noel7 - creepy indeed.

Westfield seems to have unlimited funds to buy failing malls and "revitalize" them, not only in the US but worldwide. I don't know about CA as a whole but I'd say 80% of greater LA's medium and large malls were Westfield, at least. And the last time I was in San Jose I saw a large one there.

Observing what I have personally and reading about this globally, I am very leery of Westfield as an organization, and I too would rather shop elsewhere if possible.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

The only reason I go to our local mall is to attend Weight Watchers meetings. Otherwise, I have no interest in going there. I do almost all my shopping online. At first I hesitated to recycle all the cartons I was collecting from all my orders, until I noticed that my neighbors have at least as many cartons in their recycling piles as I have. Some have far more.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Wsmom wrote:

@Noel7, interesting read...thanks for the link.  I'd read previously about some of that.  Do any of you have the steam iron kiosk?  Same general thing with the vendors.  One day I stopped to hear what they had to say.  This little plastic-feeling steam iron cost $200.  When I said I wasn't interested, I was told since it was a special day, I could get it for $100.  Still not interested, if I promised to just talk about it on social media if I liked it, I could get two for $100.  So in about five minutes the priced dropped from $200 to two for $100. 

Hi @Wsmom  Smiley Happy

I haven't heard of the steam iron, but I rarely go to malls anymore, and when I do, I know how to duck the kiosks, lol.  That one really sounds like a come-on.

Totally agree that "normal" kiosk vendors are simple to avoid and not a problem.

For 2-3 years, a few years ago in my area, the rice & lavender/eucalyptus scented hot packs were a big kiosk thing at Xmas. The could make a nice gift. All of the vendors I encountered in 3-4 malls were Russian, and whatever their age, from 20s to 50s, they were low key and sweet and never got uber-pushy. I suppose a Russian ex-pat started the business, it grew, and he wanted to hire others in his situation. I always kind of liked being stopped by them, and sometimes I did buy.

Respected Contributor

There is a very nice "upscale" mall in a good area in the city where I live and I never go there because of those vendors that sell out of kiosks inside the mall. I had to fend off seven of them during one visit (I think one of them got me coming and going) and got so frustrated, I haven't been back. That was eight years ago. I wonder if they realize other people might do the same and all of the stores in the mall may be losing business as a result.

Honored Contributor

@Suhse wrote:

Ladies, where  in the heck, do you all live?  I want to be sure and Never move there!

Seriously, 😉 Some of the kiosk vendors can be pushy, but, I've always found that a firm No Thanks, and keep walking works well.

I'm from the Northwest. We're pretty laid back, here. Maybe the vendors,,are too🤓

@Suhse, I'm from the laid-back PNW, too, and did encounter a pushy kiosk salesperson who followed me several store lengths before finally backing off.  I reported him to security and was told it's a definite no-no for that kind of pushy behavior.  I haven't had that happen again.

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

Many people go to malls to walk, for exercise. I do. I feel safer walking around the malls than on public streets.

@catwhisperer

Although I prefer to do my walking outdoors, the triple digit heat this year has sent me to the air conditioned mall on many occasions.   Actually, it's also a nice change of pace.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

There is a very nice "upscale" mall in a good area in the city where I live and I never go there because of those vendors that sell out of kiosks inside the mall. I had to fend off seven of them during one visit (I think one of them got me coming and going) and got so frustrated, I haven't been back. That was eight years ago. I wonder if they realize other people might do the same and all of the stores in the mall may be losing business as a result.

You would think so, but in the case of Westfield, they seem to welcome these people with open arms and mostly shine complainers on. No reprimands and no action taken. That *really* makes me wonder about the Westfield organization worldwide and who they are happy to associate with, and why.

It only makes sense that you wouldn't want a business in your mall that was driving people out of the mall for good, yet they have no problem with it. And they get LOTS of complaints, so it's not like they aren't aware. Some big money coming from somewhere...

Respected Contributor

The malls need to get rid of these people.  My old mall in CA held out for a long time to not allow these vendors.  Now they do.  You can complain to mall management and tell them you didn't feel safe shopping.  

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

Many people go to malls to walk, for exercise. I do. I feel safer walking around the malls than on public streets.

@catwhisperer

Although I prefer to do my walking outdoors, the triple digit heat this year has sent me to the air conditioned mall on many occasions.   Actually, it's also a nice change of pace.

@Tinkrbl44......Hi Tinkerbell! I didn't realize my earlier post was going to be an issue for another poster, so I guess I should have clarified that I shop and walk for exercise at the same time. Smiley Happy  Anyway, I agree with you that an air conditioned mall is much healthier in triple digit heat and it can be a nice change of pace. (Window shopping).

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

You would think so, but in the case of Westfield, they seem to welcome these people with open arms and mostly shine complainers on. No reprimands and no action taken. That *really* makes me wonder about the Westfield organization worldwide and who they are happy to associate with, and why.

It only makes sense that you wouldn't want a business in your mall that was driving people out of the mall for good, yet they have no problem with it. And they get LOTS of complaints, so it's not like they aren't aware. Some big money coming from somewhere...

There's a Westfield Mall south of me.  I didn't realize it was a large corporation.