Honored Contributor

@SunSprite wrote:

I believe she said twice the mortality rate; not general risk. 

It did go by fast..

@SunSprite @Oznell 

Yes, that is what I heard, too. She also said it is across all age groups.

Honored Contributor

Hope and trust, as the new ramped-up system of test production fans out more, that your area will be included, @Nightowlz .

Honored Contributor

Keep up that good work of gentle prodding for handwashing, @cindyNC -- you're doing him and everyone a real service!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have been reading some articles which mention a sex-linked genetic factor may play a role in immunity. I'm a biochemist so the science of this virus is so fascinating to me. There are some scientists that are saying we have 'locks' on our cells which keep out intruders. These 'locks', their number and variety, could have a genetic link. The CV cells have spikes on their surface which act like keys to unlock and gain access inside our cells. Some people have more locks on their cells than others. Older and compromised people may have damaged ones, making those individuals more susceptible to getting infected and then there's the sex-linked genetic factor in all of this. This is technical, yes? But I find it so interesting.

Honored Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

I'm frustrated (bordering on angry/furious) with my BF now as he doesn't like to wash his hands when he walks in the door. 

If he cared about you ,he would.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Yes, even to an utter novice like me, @SilleeMee ,  it is so fascinating.

Honored Contributor

I've since heard more discussion by consulting physicians on air as to why the disproportionate effect on men.  One of several causes, they said, could be the higher incidence of men who smoke, as opposed to women.  Those who smoke or "vape" and have compromised lungs as a result, are more vulnerable....

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes, I have been reading some articles which mention a sex-linked genetic factor may play a role in immunity. I'm a biochemist so the science of this virus is so fascinating to me. There are some scientists that are saying we have 'locks' on our cells which keep out intruders. These 'locks', their number and variety, could have a genetic link. The CV cells have spikes on their surface which act like keys to unlock and gain access inside our cells. Some people have more locks on their cells than others. Older and compromised people may have damaged ones, making those individuals more susceptible to getting infected and then there's the sex-linked genetic factor in all of this. This is technical, yes? But I find it so interesting.

Genetic variation can play a huge role in disease transmission. Nearly every hemophiliac who survived the HIV epidemic in the eighties has a genetic mutation called the CCR5 Delta 32 variation that makes them largely immune to HIV. When you look at the global numbers of coronavirus infected people, it's pretty easy to guess that if the numbers are accurate, (a big if by the way) the people of India have a genetic mutation that makes them immune to the coronavirus. They have a very low rate of infection (228 total cases) considering their population density. I  would expect that number to be vastly higher than it is. 

There may be populations that are largely untouched by the coronavirus due to a genetic mutation that's been passed down. They may have been nearly wiped out previously by a coronavirus pandemic and only those with the genetic mutation survived, but then through decades/centuries of reproduction they've now created a genetically immune population. 

If you can believe the numbers we're seeing now, India may have such a population. We'll have to see if the numbers hold up, but for now, India has a vastly smaller number of infected people than one would expect.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: MALES AT GREATER RISK?

[ Edited ]

CV tests are designed to look for genetic material from the virus, not a test for our antibodies (mutated or not) against the virus. That type of test is still in the works and will be done on blood rather than swab material taken from your nose/throat. 

If the India population is showing fewer cases of the infection then they are not testing enough of the people there to show the numbers. It is not a matter of immunity but one where the actual viral material is not being detected there. CV test results have nothing to do with immunity. The test only detects the virus and does not detect the presence of antibodies (our immunity), mutated or not, against the virus.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell Thank you so much for the encouraging words! They are much appreciated. 

We have talked a bit about it....he feels he is doomed to get the virus (former smoker).  He also has to keep working (company makes respirator packs for firemen) and is a troubleshooter at work (lots of contacts w/people)