Honored Contributor

Re: MAJOR POWER OUTAGES IN SF AND POSSIBLY TWO OTHER AREAS

How many years now have we been hearing that our infrastructure needs updating in a major way?

WHEN will this happen?

Do we need a total breakdown before this is addressed seriously?

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Nothing happened in LA today. Just a beautiful 90 degree Friday

Honored Contributor

@Alsee  DH used his phone to email me that power is out in SF, and for the grocery list for tonight on the way home. Smiley Happy  I wonder why it is out, the weather is beautiful today, no wind, just sunny and warm.

Honored Contributor

@Alsee wrote:

Nothing happened in LA today. Just a beautiful 90 degree Friday

@Alsee

Yes, it did.  The reports are referenced in the discussion more than once.

Honored Contributor

@Alsee

Two reports I just double checked showed the power outage affected LA International airport.

Valued Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Brooklynny wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I do know that Con Edison is having their 'outage' season right now and it goes straight through till June (?).

An outage is a planned period of time, when they work on different units, lots of contractors helping, 12 hour shifts, etc. 

It's for upkeep purposes. 

They call it a 'shutdown' or 'turnaround' in oil refineries.

Not sure if the power plants in CA are doing theirs. 

@Lucky Charm, the outage was not due to "outage season."  Apparently, a feeder cable under the street supplying power to the subway signal system failed this morning.  Crews are still working on it and will probably do so through the night. Train traffic is bypassing the station where the outage occurred, but everything is back up and running with some delays.  As I said in an earlier post, just another commuting day in NYC.

I hear ya.  Son sits in that nightmare every evening.  He works in Manhattan (@ Con Ed).

@Lucky Charm, you can say that again!  I've been commuting by subway to Manhattan every day since 1971.  I've seen everything and experienced everything down there...signal outages, fires, flooding, suicides, you name it.  The transit problems at Penn Station in the past month are unacceptable, as well.  Aside from the everyday crazy things that happen above and below ground in NYC, this just adds to the mounting evidence that infrastructure deficiencies must be addressed NOW.  Mass transit is the lifeblood of the tri-state area, and governmental leaders must take this issue seriously, not only here, but around the country, as well.

Honored Contributor

100% of the power is back on in SF.

Reportedly there was a small explosion in the breaker, cause unknown.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

LA?  not to my knowledge. ok here in SFValley anyway.  it seems to be an SF problem. i don't know where the grid outage rumor came from but see no reporting of it hereabouts.

@ms traditional

Ditto here.   We're supposed to have a hot weekend here, so I'm hoping we'll be okay.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

LA?  not to my knowledge. ok here in SFValley anyway.  it seems to be an SF problem. i don't know where the grid outage rumor came from but see no reporting of it hereabouts.

@ms traditional

Ditto here.   We're supposed to have a hot weekend here, so I'm hoping we'll be okay.

It wasn't just SF @Tinkrbl44

It was also the NY subway and LA International airport.

Esteemed Contributor

Not here in L.A. where I am located.  Power on and running. 

Is this a test of sort of our defense - meaning I know we have had Russian bombers flying up and down the coast of Alaska. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust