Respected Contributor

Re: M51968 cuddling stuffed dog

A few years ago when I lost my Golden Retriever to cancer around holiday time, I was completely devastated.  

In my travels, I found a stuffed Golden that I purchased and placed on a chair in my living room.  It really gave a sense of peace when I looked at it.  Others in the family felt the same way.

I totally get that this dog could bring comfort and joy to many.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

That is a precious stuffed dog.

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

What does M51968 mean?

This replica dog is the EXACT, spitting image of my present rescue furbaby, Redford!

I can see this is so wonderful for a young child who cannot yet care for a live animal, special needs populations, and residents of assisted living or memory residences.

My great aunt who passed at 95 had with her a stuffed puppy in her hospital bed and was cradleing it when she passed on.

I kept a stuffed bear in my classroom who wore a Revolutionar War hat and vest. His name was Paul Rebear and most of my  students,,even as young teens, loved him.

Paul is still teaching American History with my successor, who promised to take care of him.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Perkup wrote:

@151949 wrote:

At first I thought 'Seriously?' but then , on the other hand, at least they won't be walking it over to pee on my flowers and dump in my front yard instead of their own and it won't be incessantly barking so there is a lot to be said for this toy dog for those who need a dog companion but are unwilling or unable to actually train a real live dog.

Sorry 151949.
You've obviously had dog problems, or perhaps you just don't care for dogs. I love them, but I have a strong love and respect for older people as well, and always have. Have you ever known someone in a nursing home, or someone who has a mental disability, or someone who is just lonely and can't have a pet?  Not to mention children with allergies, etc. All the above would cherish this stuffed animal, and I think it's great that QVC is offering it. It's adorable.

I agree with the poster who would buy a dozen and donate them to a nursing home. What joy they could bring!!

Well, since the "Dogs Where They Shouldn't Be" threads got very old (and very multiple), something new had to be found, clearly. 

QVC also sells a cat, for equal opportunity ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

@Moonchilde

I was going to mention the cat also. While I wouldn't want one of these for myself (I prefer the real thing while I can still have one), I think these are a great idea for some elderly people I know. 

Honored Contributor

@Anita Hug wrote:

@Moonchilde

I was going to mention the cat also. While I wouldn't want one of these for myself (I prefer the real thing while I can still have one), I think these are a great idea for some elderly people I know. 

@Anita Hug, I agree - I wouldn't want one, but when my mom was over 90 (and did NOT have dementia) she still loved stuffed animals, and any live therapy animals  brought to the nursing home. I think she would have gotten a kick out of this. My point being that although they would be super for patients with dementia, those without dementia could still have fun with them. I had gotten her one of the small puppy-in-a-basket years before and she had fun with it - the ones where they "breathe."

Honored Contributor

QVC,can afford to donate thousands .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I agree that this could be a good "companion" animal, but it's just a plush animal, right?

How is this any different from all of the other plush cats and dogs that are on the market?

What is propriety about it?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just genuinely don't understand the difference between this and all of the other plush doggies and kitties out there.

Can someone please explain the difference to me?

Thanks! Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

A few years ago when I lost my Golden Retriever to cancer around holiday time, I was completely devastated.  

In my travels, I found a stuffed Golden that I purchased and placed on a chair in my living room.  It really gave a sense of peace when I looked at it.  Others in the family felt the same way.

I totally get that this dog could bring comfort and joy to many.

I did the same when my Corgi,Barkley died. It gave me so much comfort <3  I still have the stuffed dog even though I now have a PITA  Maltie,that I love with all my heart  <3

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I agree that this could be a good "companion" animal, but it's just a plush animal, right?

How is this any different from all of the other plush cats and dogs that are on the market?

What is propriety about it?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just genuinely don't understand the difference between this and all of the other plush doggies and kitties out there.

Can someone please explain the difference to me?

Thanks! Woman Happy

It's electronic - like the new Furbys, dinosaurs and other electronic toys. It responds to voice and touch with certain programmed responses - meows, purrs (with vibration), tail wags, barks, etc. like similar toys do.

It doesn't just sit motionless like stuffed animal because it isn't a stuffed animal - it's an electronic toy shaped like a dog or cat and covered with fake fur/hair.