Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

I buy a detergent pod that has a sanitizer in it

But what's in the sanitizer? I'd want to know before I wash all my clothes in it. This virus has me paranoid.

The Lysol laundry sanitizer won't help you with the virus. Its claims are all about bacteria, not viruses.

Here's a link to detailed info on what's in it and its hazard profile.

http://rbnainfo.com/smart-label.php?productLineId=1833

There's also a link on that page to the Safety Data Sheet. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lysol laundry sanitizer

[ Edited ]

Absolutely not true.  This was gone through when this was discussed months ago.  In September the EPA designated the active ingredient in this sanitizer as being viricidal.

777-128 Quaternary ammonium Lysol® Laundry Sanitizer

The active ingredient has been added to the EPA N list for efficacy against the corona virus. Perhaps the labels have not yet been updated for distribution.

Quaternary Ammonium was added to the list on September 17th. 

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager 

Sounds like you understand all this scientific jargon.  From what I have gleaned from website it works against COVID as a pre soak in a pretty hefty amount per gallon.  For bacteria works in rinse.  They have not made it clear that if presoak has to be without detergent or if has to be rinsed before wash with detergent.  Asking manufacturer they say follow directions.  Confusing.  Since DD works with youngsters we use product on her clotges , needing to add time to washers rinse cycle.

Honored Contributor
I bought the Lysol Landry sanitizer back in March since it was literally the only Lysol product I could find. It worked well but haven’t found it since then.
Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Absolutely not true.  This was gone through when this was discussed months ago.  In September the EPA designated the active ingredient in this sanitizer as being viricidal.

The active ingredient has been added to the EPA N list for efficacy against the corona virus. Perhaps the labels have not yet been updated for distribution.

Does Lysol make that claim? I didn't see it. It may be that the product, when used as directed, is too dilute to be effective or that the necessary dwell time in the rinse cycle, 16 minutes, is longer than the standard. I recall that being brought up.

Undiluted, this is hazardous stuff. 

I haven't ever heard of anyone getting the virus from clothing. In a deeply contaminated hospital setting, maybe, but outside that? 

Esteemed Contributor

Personally,  I have used this well before Covid as I use an apartment building laundry facility.  It makes me feel better to add it to a rinse cycle and I love the freshness and smell of my laundry.  It certainly doesn't hurt.  And if it's additionally viricidal, terrific.  But that's not why I love the product. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Does Lysol make that claim? I didn't see it. It may be that the product, when used as directed, is too dilute to be effective or that the necessary dwell time in the rinse cycle, 16 minutes, is longer than the standard. I recall that being brought up.

Undiluted, this is hazardous stuff. 

I haven't ever heard of anyone getting the virus from clothing. In a deeply contaminated hospital setting, maybe, but outside that? 

I have been using laundry sanitizer for a few years.  I do not use it for Covid.  I do laundry for a person who suffers from incontence, who is also diabetic and has oozing sores on her legs. It is important that she doesn't get an infection

The original product just killed bacteria, now it contains quats and kills viruses too.

It's a useful product for those who need it.  It is especially helpful for spas, beauty salons, gyms and other places where there are many people using towels and sheets that are not disposable.

For those who do not want or need it, it's an easy pass.