Valued Contributor

Lux, the Portland cat whose guardians barricaded themselves

This Saturday on My Cat From H3ll, Jackson Galaxy will take on what he calls the most challenging case in the 15 years he has worked with cats: Lux, the Portland cat whose guardians barricaded themselves, their baby and their dog in the bedroom of their apartment and called 911 to request assistance when Lux became severely aggressive.

When the story broke last March, it unleashed a firestorm of reaction among cat lovers, with many, as is so common with these types of stories, jumping to judgment about the situation and Lux’s guardians without knowing all the facts. But there is more to this story than what the 911 tapes revealed.

Yesterday I had a chance to speak with Jackson about the episode, which will air on Animal Planet tomorrow, Saturday, June 14, at 8pm Eastern/Pacific (check local listings.)

MORE: http://consciouscat.net/2014/06/13/jackson-galaxy-work-lux-911-cat/

Respected Contributor

Re: Lux, the Portland cat whose guardians barricaded themselves

LOL, okay, I'll quote my own two responses from the other thread{#emotions_dlg.laugh}:

I'm a regular viewer of My Cat From [The Opposite of Heaven], so I'll certainly be tuning in. However, from everything I read about the case in March, these owners were abusive towards the cat and weren't even invested in keeping him.

As I've often said, it's usually the "owners" from the opposite of heaven, and it appears that this is sadly the case with Lux.

and:

I'll only feel good about the future of this poor cat if they give it to Jackson.

What worries you masters you.
Super Contributor

On 6/14/2014 Moonlady said:

LOL, okay, I'll quote my own two responses from the other thread{#emotions_dlg.laugh}:

I'm a regular viewer of My Cat From [The Opposite of Heaven], so I'll certainly be tuning in. However, from everything I read about the case in March, these owners were abusive towards the cat and weren't even invested in keeping him.

As I've often said, it's usually the "owners" from the opposite of heaven, and it appears that this is sadly the case with Lux.

The show isn't called "my owners from Heck." {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Valued Contributor

I've really wanted to see this episode since I read that he was going to try to help this cat. Sounds like there is no "ending" to this since he said he would be a presence in the cat's life for the rest of his life. I don't know if that means the cat is now with him, a different family, maybe without a baby, or the same family. I think this is going to be one of those heart-wrenching episodes to watch because Lux the cat is very "complicated" according to Jackson.

Thanks for letting us know that it is on tonight.

Esteemed Contributor

I just watched the episode. It's hard to believe a domestic cat could trigger such fear in people. I hope Lux has found a forever home with the couple that fostered him. He's such a handsome cat, I hope the medication works. I admire Jackson so much for the work he does. How did you (original OP) ever come to speak with him?

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Valued Contributor

Wow, Interesting episode. I'm so glad the original owner was able to give him up. I wonder if they did any paperwork i.e. surrender to the shelter, shelter officially adopts him out to the older couple. If not, I wonder if she can legally get the cat back if she changes her mind?

Thank God for Jackson Galaxy and for Animal Planet for giving him a show - without them poor Lux would probably be locked up in that backroom or the baby or woman might be seriously hurt and Lux would be euthanized. At least for now, it looks like he has a chance to enjoy life.

I remember JG had another cat that had that condition, only she was more typical in that she tried to attack and also run from herself. If I recall correctly, he got them to "cattify" the house a little more so that the cat learned that her cat tree was a safe place (instead of under the bed) and he had them play with the cat more so that she got more exercise. I don't recall if medicine was prescribed, but it seems like it must have been.

Lately, I have started to watch the show with a notebook in hand - there is sooo much to learn. I know he is coming out with a book about cattifying your living spaces and I will definitely be adding that to my collection. Thanks again Marp 2 for letting us know this was on tonight.

Edited to say: I've been thinking about this episode and I am going to have to watch it again. They diagnosed the cat with feline hyperesthesia and that the cat attacked what was around it rather than turning on itself as is more normal; however, I can't remember if they said the 911 call was the first time the cat had attacked like that or not. The 911 call was triggered by the baby pulling the cat's tail and then the man kicking the cat and those two things might have triggered pain reminiscent of what the cat had experienced with feline hyperesthesia or maybe the cat just flipped after all the abuse and anxiety it had suffered.

I think the man never liked the cat and never made any effort to get to know it or the cat was a one-person cat and the two of them didn't know how to introduce the man to the cat and that contributed to the general stress and anxiety in the house which only increased when the baby came. They probably didn't know how to prepare their already anxious cat for this new member of the family and everything came together in a "perfect storm" on the day of the 911 call.

Well, I will probably do some more thinking about this and maybe I will come up with something different (the perils of posting soon after). I do wish we could have seen the whole conversation between Jackson and the woman when he was asking her to re-home the cat. Would love to read any thoughts anybody else has - it's good to get out of one's own head

I hope we will have an update on Lux a year from now and that we hear he is doing well, no more attacks. I suspect if he has to be euthanized at some point it will make news in the rescue world, if not nationally.

Super Contributor

On 6/14/2014 MoJoV said:

I just watched the episode. It's hard to believe a domestic cat could trigger such fear in people.

Cats are scary. Some people fear dogs, do you fault them, too?

Valued Contributor

Mewsmom,

If I remember correctly the original owner said Lux had always been unpredictable. I suspect that the baby and the parent's fears greatly contributed to increased episodes.

One question that wasn't addressed at the end of the show is what Jackson would have done if the original owner did not agree to rehome Lux.

Knowing the potential for disaster, particularly to the toddler, I would feel obligated to notify social services as a very last resort. Heaven knows what would have happened to Lux if social services got involved.

Bless the couple that agreed to keep him.

Valued Contributor

MoJoV,

I did not speak with him, the OP is part of the linked printed article. The author would have been the one to speak with him.

Respected Contributor

My first impression...it's all about the owners. This may sound weird, but I see darkness in both of them. Something just isn't right. I'm glad Lux is out of that environment. I wouldn't trust either one of them in any way.

Lux may or may not have that syndrome (I'm not convinced, & I don't think anyone else was, either.) Jackson HAD to say certain things, but I could tell he wanted Lux out of that home. He knew something wasn't right.

I'd be curious to see if the bad reactions with Lux go away completely once he knows he's safe & loved with his new guardians. The attack during his first stay with them may have been triggered by a previous episode with the other owners. I'll bet Lux becomes a GREAT cat, & he'll be forever grateful to his new guardians.

Thank you to Jackson & everyone involved for giving Lux a new chance at life.