Respected Contributor

Re: Lunch with the Mescalero Apache

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  The Apache are quite diverse. Geronimo was Chiricahua and Cochise was from a band of the Chiricahua. There are people currently living on the Mescalero Reservation with the surname Geronimo and Cochise. In fact, when I was about middle school age, we went into a restaurant owned by the Mescalero for dinner. Geronimo's grandson was sitting there fully outfitted headdress and all. People could pay to have their picture taken with him. That was an opportunity I should have taken.

The Mescalero will even allow those from other tribes to live on their land. I had a fascinating conversation with a man who was Comanche and his wife was Sioux. They live on this reservation. He taught me a lot that day.

Honored Contributor

@On It.  All the tribes seem to have members of other tribes living on their land and many of them (most) have Hispanic surnames.   Lots of intermarriage.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@On It   You need to come to Albuquerque and visit the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center.  It's ongoing and they have guided tours ( my mom was a docent), exhibits, dancing, a great store (nice jewelry) and an excellent restaurant.  On one visit I sat down beside a Navajo woman who was weaving a rug and asked about a thousand things about weaving I always wanted to know.

Google their website.

@Kachina624  I visited the Pueblo Center and it was a great experience.  On the day we were there they had native dancers performing outside.  Worth a visit.

Esteemed Contributor

@On It I am Mescalero Apache.  An elder and late mother was Jicaria.  Loved her.  

Many Hispanic names were left from the Spanish occupation and the Mexican migrants.  

The San Carlos Reservation is one of the poorest sites - where my mother's relatives came from.  

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@On It I am Mescalero Apache.  An elder and late mother was Jicaria.  Loved her.  

Many Hispanic names were left from the Spanish occupation and the Mexican migrants.  

The San Carlos Reservation is one of the poorest sites - where my mother's relatives came from.  

Oh, wow! I would love to spend hours talking with you. I am glad you explained the Hispanic surnames. I am fascinated by and respectful of the culture, beliefs, and traditions.

Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece  Thank you again for sharing that you are Mescalero. When posting here, we never know who will read our post. We did not get to the reservation today like I had hoped, but I will tag you if I have any news or events to report.