Honored Contributor

Re: Lunch with my co-workers

@sunshine45 wrote:

@suzyQ3

@Tinkrbl44

interesting......if we DIDNT clean our plates at home we were being "wasteful." if we put it on our plates then we had to finish it.

even now when we go out we ALWAYS get doggie bags if there are leftovers.

@sunshine45    @suzyQ3

And that, ladies, is a perfect example of "damned if you do, and damned if you don't"!  LOL   Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi there @redwingsgal,

Me? I have been one that does not "beat around the proverbial rose b***". The more obvious I am about why I do not want to participate, the easier it goes. 

Now I would not just say "I don't want to participate any more BECAUSE". Would leave out the word in caps, unless of course someone were to ask me. Then I would tell them the why, no excuse, just the facts ma'am!

My belief has always been to say what I have to when I need to get a point across, to co-workers, even family and good friends. I used to tell my co-workers everything straight to the point. Also told them "I come to work to make money, not friends". Some never spoke to me again(most of those were my opposite gender), maybes we are wired differently.

Did a lot of things my co-workers (all men) did not like and they told me so. Push for no smoking! Big dislike. Work to make a Blood Pressure Test Mandatory! Even bigger dislike.

As usual I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, I say exactly what I think needs to be said so there is no doubt in anyone's mind what I mean. If that ruffles their briefs?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

It's such a tiny office group that there is no way that you can beg off every single time.  You can only do it if you don't mind creating a bad situation for yourself.  Try getting to the salad or food before any of the slobs man handle it or pretend you are on a diet or have some "stomach issues" and order something for yourself.  Honestly, I don't know where one would find a whole department of ill bred people like this.  That's so weird.  Guiness Book weird...lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's impolite to ask for a taste of another's food. It puts them in an untenable position, how can they refuse without seeming churlish?

In this situation, I would have just handing over the entire cake.

I don't want to experience poor table manners, it's not just about the germs, it's off putting, sometimes disgusting.

Cut them off a little piece with your knife, put in on a plate, napkin, or in their hand and let them have a taste.  You don't have to bit eoff something to have a taste of it.  I assume you haven't been licking the knife, and all of the participants will be safe.

For many of you who hate going to work things, you should not go.  I think that would be by far the best choice for everyone concerned.

Respected Contributor

Eating with a group of co-workers is filled with potential landmines because even though you are not in the office, it's still a work event, and there can be unwanted consequences. IMHO, the less fuss one makes the better. If your co-workers table habits are objectionable, quietly pass the rolls, appetizers, or other shared food and continue to converse and be a good listener. I could never tell you what anyone ate or didn't eat at a luncheon table of 12 unless they called attention to themselves.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I wasn't paying for it, I wouldn't careless what my co-workers did with the food. (since you know in advance what they do) Eat before you go, or buy your own lunch.

One has to touch the other rolls to tear them apart. Do you suggest using a knife? They should never use a utensil that they have used, and dip it in another dish. I agree with that part.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I'm just curious to know how the OP would pull apart pull apart rolls except with her hands?

I think the big concern is that they touch more than the one roll they take - thus contaminating the lot.

Pull apart rolls or bread - you MUST hold the one part and pull off the other part.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I'm just curious to know how the OP would pull apart pull apart rolls except with her hands?

I think the big concern is that they touch more than the one roll they take - thus contaminating the lot.

Pull apart rolls or bread - you MUST hold the one part and pull off the other part.

So the OP should just skip the bread .... she won't die if she doesn't get a "contaminated" roll.

Honored Contributor

I've been to places/events where, say, two friends or relatives would 'share' a dessert.  Using their own forks to eat away at one huge dessert.   (Not my cup of tea, but when they asked me, I cheerfully said 'No thank you, I'm fine' (full). )         Otherwise, I don't recall anyone sticking their forks into my plate.   Well.....Maybe, one or two times, years and years ago, when ordering a huge (underline huge) plate of something, I'd push away with a knife one entire small section of something I wasn't interested in, and then let someone else have it ahead of time, before I began to eat.  All in all, I'm not a big fan of sharing/tasting/etc. other people's foods, children included.   It's just 'me', and I don't care what others are doing all along a long table at an event. ( Round tables are more revealing, obvious. lol. )

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@redwingsgal I understand, really, I do, but just be a big girl and join in the festivities. I haven't heard of too many people dying from eating a roll that someone touched. I think the bigger picture is what an earlier poster mentioned: potlucks: We had them where I worked and I never participated. I saw too many people leave the restroom without washing and figured that their food handling at home would be more than I could take.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein