Respected Contributor

Re: Lunch with my co-workers

@redwingsgal wrote:

OK, I have to share an update!  We obviously went to a birthday lunch this afternoon and the gal whose birthday we were celebrating brought back a piece of chocolate cake to eat later.  A girl who sits in our area just asked her if she could have a bite of the birthday girl's cake!!!  This is unacceptable to me!!!

Of course the birthday girl gave the beggar a bite, but I had to walk away as it was too much for me to handle!!!

@redwingsgal I know you are venting, but I am curious if you like the environment and people you work with?

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@redwingsgal wrote:

OK, I have to share an update!  We obviously went to a birthday lunch this afternoon and the gal whose birthday we were celebrating brought back a piece of chocolate cake to eat later.  A girl who sits in our area just asked her if she could have a bite of the birthday girl's cake!!!  This is unacceptable to me!!!

Of course the birthday girl gave the beggar a bite, but I had to walk away as it was too much for me to handle!!!

@redwingsgal I know you are venting, but I am curious if you like the environment and people you work with?

I also wonder why the "girl who sits in our area" wasn't invited and thus became a beggar after the fact.  I agree there is more going on here than worry about food making her sick.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

@redwingsgal wrote:

I also wonder why the "girl who sits in our area" wasn't invited and thus became a beggar after the fact.  I agree there is more going on here than worry about food making her sick.

@Isobel Archer, somehow I must have just skimmed this. I do find it a bit odd that anyone would begrudge somone asking another person for a taste of the cake.

I know for a fact that the word "beggar" would never enter my mind.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

It's impolite to ask for a taste of another's food. It puts them in an untenable position, how can they refuse without seeming churlish?

In this situation, I would have just handing over the entire cake.

I don't want to experience poor table manners, it's not just about the germs, it's off putting, sometimes disgusting.

Honored Contributor

I connect to this post in terms of the endless office tradition aspect, which I did not find fun.   The longer I worked there, the more I disliked the traditions.   I finally just said NO to anything I did not want to participate in.   Once I spoke up others followed my lead and the traditions started changing.   

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I'm just curious to know how the OP would pull apart pull apart rolls except with her hands?

What I thought was strange was a restaurant putting out food they hadn't finished prepping. Those rolls should have been separated in the kitchen. I've never eaten at a place that served rolls as if they came right out of the package.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I'm just curious to know how the OP would pull apart pull apart rolls except with her hands?

What I thought was strange was a restaurant putting out food they hadn't finished prepping. Those rolls should have been separated in the kitchen. I've never eaten at a place that served rolls as if they came right out of the package.

I don't eat out often, but I have frequently been served rolls in a basket when there are several diners at the table.

Esteemed Contributor

This discussion reminds me of Mr. Monk. I think it is fun to have a good camaraderie with your co-workers. It is nice to have a boss who acknowledges his employees. He/She seems like they care and want to make everyone feel appreciated. Enjoy your life and don't be so judgemental.

Honored Contributor

I don't do company anything unless the memo says it's "required" and even then.....I usually don't do it. *shrugs*

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I'm an outlier here. I just can't get worked up over some of the actions described, certainly not a person asking another person if she can have a bite. Hey, I had a boss once who didn't even ask. :-( And the washing of hands after touching a menu? Sorry, I just choose not to live like that.

And before anyone accuse me of being a big ol' slob, I was taught impeccable table manners, to a fault. And for the most part, they have stuck with me. But not all of them. I do put jars on the table...heaven forgive me, Mom.

My punctillious, manner-ish mother believed that you should never finish what's on your plate; you should at least leave one bite. So fast forward to adulthood  and a dinner at a very high-end restaurant in Beverly Hills with my husband, my mom, and her SO.

I finished my plate! So my mother took her fork and put a morsel of her food on my empty plate (yes, now after reading here, I see that that would be apparently disgusting, but I digress).

I looked at her and said something the effect of "Uh-oh, was I not supposed to clean my plate"? She smiled yes. I ate her morsel.

With a group of people with whom you have close contact everyday, have fun at such celebrations. Your chances of getting sick from someone forking up a shared appetizer are very slim...probably no more than our regular office activities.

@suzyQ3

LOL!     I was beginning to think we had the same perfectionist mannerly mother ....  until I got to the "leave a morsel" comment.   

Just what is such good manners about leaving a morsel of food on your plate?  I've never heard this one before!