Respected Contributor

Re: Lunch with my co-workers

@NYC Susan wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I'm an outlier here. I just can't get worked up over some of the actions described, certainly not a person asking another person if she can have a bite. Hey, I had a boss once who didn't even ask. :-( And the washing of hands after touching a menu? Sorry, I just choose not to live like that.

And before anyone accuse me of being a big ol' slob, I was taught impeccable table manners, to a fault. And for the most part, they have stuck with me. But not all of them. I do put jars on the table...heaven forgive me, Mom.

My punctillious, manner-ish mother believed that you should never finish what's on your plate; you should at least leave one bite. So fast forward to adulthood  and a dinner at a very high-end restaurant in Beverly Hills with my husband, my mom, and her SO.

I finished my plate! So my mother took her fork and put a morsel of her food on my empty plate (yes, now after reading here, I see that that would be apparently disgusting, but I digress).

I looked at her and said something the effect of "Uh-oh, was I not supposed to clean my plate"? She smiled yes. I ate her morsel.

With a group of people with whom you have close contact everyday, have fun at such celebrations. Your chances of getting sick from someone forking up a shared appetizer are very slim...probably no more than our regular office activities.

@suzyQ3

LOL!     I was beginning to think we had the same perfectionist mannerly mother ....  until I got to the "leave a morsel" comment.   

Just what is such good manners about leaving a morsel of food on your plate?  I've never heard this one before!

@Tinkrbl44, I was wondering when someone should ask. :-)

The way I understood it, she believed that if you "cleaned" your plate, it was rather pig-like.

She was something else.

My grandmother taught us the same thing.  My mother pretty much believed in it too, but never pressed the point.  I remember hearing from the time I was a little girl that it was polite to always leave just a little bit.

My husband's family was the opposite - They expected you to eat every last bite.  Otherwise, it was an insult to the cook!

I grew up with - this is what we're having - if you don't want it - fine, but you are not getting anything else.  So I was a picky eater, but certainly never starved.

My MIL, bless her heart, (she's gone now and I miss her very much)  believed you must eat everything plus seconds and was very hurt if you didn't.   Thankfully, by then, I did eat most all foods and made sure I served myself (rather than let her pile it on) so I could finish and have more.  Worked fine.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@redwingsgal

Can I ask what industry you work in?  Just curious because in all my years of working in So Cal I have never encountered this behavior.  

Again, we are in the corporate office, but it is the healthcare industry!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Respected Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

I am also a huge Red Wings fan! We need a good season. 

The thought occurs to me that your preoccupation with other's eating habits  

over shadowing the fun of the event might be an expression of anxiety. Kind 

of OCD. Just a thought. It happens to me. 

Yes, we do!!!  You should joing the hockey thread when it starts back up, @dmod runs the thread and we have a ball all season!!!

Yes, sometimes I realize that I do put too much emphasis on the bad habits, but I think since it is so out of hand, I cannot help but notice!!

I really do try to just have fun and keep my food to myself when we go out

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@redwingsgal wrote:

OK, I have to share an update!  We obviously went to a birthday lunch this afternoon and the gal whose birthday we were celebrating brought back a piece of chocolate cake to eat later.  A girl who sits in our area just asked her if she could have a bite of the birthday girl's cake!!!  This is unacceptable to me!!!

Of course the birthday girl gave the beggar a bite, but I had to walk away as it was too much for me to handle!!!

@redwingsgal I know you are venting, but I am curious if you like the environment and people you work with?

Yes, I do very much like them all.  The point I was trying to make had nothing to do with germs, I am NOT a germophobe at all.  To answer what many have asked, I have no kids, but dogs, yes.

I am more concerned with the lack of table manners than with the germs.  

We all pay for our own food, the boss buys the apps and the birthday person's lunch. Like I stated in the OP, thanks for letting me vent!!!

Honored Contributor

Don"t Go?  Why would you go to lunch with people you find disgusting????  Nothing would make me go. 

Esteemed Contributor

They are not dining with some v.i.p. They are at a birthday party.

It is supposed to be a more relaxed, fun, enjoyable atmosphere.

Their table manners are just fine for the occasion.

Since you find their manners so disgusting, don't go.

You'll save yourself a lot of stress and aggravation.

Respected Contributor

@redwingsgal wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

@redwingsgal wrote:

OK, I have to share an update!  We obviously went to a birthday lunch this afternoon and the gal whose birthday we were celebrating brought back a piece of chocolate cake to eat later.  A girl who sits in our area just asked her if she could have a bite of the birthday girl's cake!!!  This is unacceptable to me!!!

Of course the birthday girl gave the beggar a bite, but I had to walk away as it was too much for me to handle!!!

@redwingsgal I know you are venting, but I am curious if you like the environment and people you work with?

Yes, I do very much like them all.  The point I was trying to make had nothing to do with germs, I am NOT a germophobe at all.  To answer what many have asked, I have no kids, but dogs, yes.

I am more concerned with the lack of table manners than with the germs.  

We all pay for our own food, the boss buys the apps and the birthday person's lunch. Like I stated in the OP, thanks for letting me vent!!!

@redwingsgal Thank you for the added clarification. Glad you enjoy your job and coworkers.

I think many people have what I call an eating quirk. Some folks can't eat off other's plates or share food or don't want certain foods touching on the plate; me, I cannot have my utensils on the bare table.

I know it's manners to put your napkin in your lap even when drinking the water brought before the food. But when the utensils are wrapped in the napkin, I have only the bare table. I see the disgusting rags used to wipe tables. They may remove food particles but the rag deposits germs from every other place that rag was used. It just grosses me out. That trumps manners for me. So I don't use my napkin until a plate or another napkin is available. So I guess posters can comment on my quirk too, lol.