Regular Contributor

Luggage question--California Prop 65

Hi All,

I just received a nice Kenneth Cole polycarbonate spinner from Macy's.com and the tag says Proposition 65, that it contains chemicals known to cause cancer.

I recently completed treatments for breast cancer and was alarmed by this finding as it was not noted online in the description.

My question is: A) Will any new luggage have this warning?

B) Do you know any safe new luggage brand without this risk?

C) Is Prop 65 exaggerated--i.e. is my luggage unlikely to cause me a

problem only if I breathe it or lick it?

TIA for all replies, Seannie

Frequent Contributor

Re: Luggage question--California Prop 65

I've always wanted to know the answer. I have seen some lovely pocketbooks on ShopHQ and Prop 65 is always mentioned. I know this is for California and I know of people in other States who have returned theirs because of this.

Esteemed Contributor

Prop 65 has been out for years with all the cautions and warnings. I have bone china that I used and since the Prop came out a lot of things I've owned and used throughout the years are on their list. It's just to let you know in case you are concerned and it also protects the manufacturers from being blamed for this or that. You elect to purchase and use knowing that a chemical, if abused, may be an issue for you. I've never had a problem and don't foresee one either.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

If you curl up and sleep in it for 10 years you might have a problem.
Honored Contributor

On 8/29/2014 Seannie said:

Hi All,

I just received a nice Kenneth Cole polycarbonate spinner from Macy's.com and the tag says Proposition 65, that it contains chemicals known to cause cancer.

I recently completed treatments for breast cancer and was alarmed by this finding as it was not noted online in the description.

My question is: A) Will any new luggage have this warning?

B) Do you know any safe new luggage brand without this risk?

C) Is Prop 65 exaggerated--i.e. is my luggage unlikely to cause me a

problem only if I breathe it or lick it?

TIA for all replies, Seannie

Have you ever googled Prop 65 to get the details? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I would also suggest you go on the CA Dept of Consumer Affairs website and see what information is posted.

Another thought ..... next time you're in a mall or shopping area go in to the luggage store (Tumi, Samsonite etc) and ask what the specifics are ..... they may even have some printed material they can give you.

If you find out, will you share it with us? {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Super Contributor

It sounds like a CYA label, as per this:

http://www.luggageontheweb.com/california-propostion-65-article.html

<h2 id="section-contenttitle" class="contenttitle">California Proposition 65</h2>
WARNING: THIS SITE SELLS PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN CHEMICALS KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER OR BIRTH DEFECTS OR OTHER REPRODUCTION HARM.

Keep in mind, that this warning serves residents of California. California Proposition 65 requires warnings on all products (not just items for children) that may contain certain chemicals and this is a labeling law. There are over 850 chemicals that the State of California believes could cause cancer or reproductive harm. It is next to impossible to certify that products that we sell do not contain any trace of the 850 plus of the Proposition 65 chemicals, so we are placing the warning to cover everything we sell. Products made of fabric, leather, vinyl, foam, synthetics, non-woven fabrics, etc., may contain trace amounts of the over 850 chemicals listed on the Californai Proposition 65. We wish to give clear and reasonable warning that although we believe the products we sell are in full compliance with federal laws for safety, there may or may not be trace amounts that we are not aware of on a product. The complete list of the chemicals listed on the California Proposition 65 can be seen at www.oehha.org/prop65.html.
Honored Contributor

Prop 65 slaps a label on most anything and everything. I wouldn't worry unless you plan on eating your luggage.

Regular Contributor

Thank you, everybody, for your responses. I decided to keep the spinner as it is a large one (28") which I need for Hawaii or Europe travels. My old Delsey is very scuffed all over with black marks--I am ashamed to take it anymore.

But I'm going to pack everything in a VB large duffel and toss that into the hardside spinner and check it for my next trip. The duffel can be washed afterwards.

Also, I will wash hands after checking the suitcase at the airport.

Seannie

Super Contributor

Every gas station and many stores have a prop 65 warning in CA. I still fill my car with gas and shop at the grocery stores. If a product has that warning on it I don't even pay any attention.

I would enjoy your new luggage.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I never heard of this since I live in NY.With that being said, I would think most foods that have been altered with hormones are a danger which we may not know the full effects until much later which will be too late. Is that labeled Prop 65? What about the air and water which are filthy? Seeing Prop 65 everything will just diminish its initial effectiveness.